Just road rashed the entire front clip on a curb - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Just road rashed the entire front clip on a curb

Well I'm sick about it. This morning after owning the car for 4 days I parked up on a low curb I thought would clear. It scratched the entire underside. I'm wondering what my options are, it's only visible if you're really looking but it's only got 8k miles on it. I guess I'll get a color match touch up pen. If you guys have any suggestions I would truly appreciate it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...-evora-225690/

Last edited by esseye; 08-06-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Wrong thread
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Race & Pamper

Clam will have to be removed and bottom area repainted.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Aaaaah!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Alternative - cover it up with a splitter.
GuppyCaptain and Redsled like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:57 AM

Awful—one of my fears. I’m going to upgrade my head unit and stereo system once I get my car back from pack rat repairs and I’m going to ask the installer to put in a front facing camera to try to avoid this kind of thing.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:09 AM

Ouch...that always sucks! Did you crack the panel as well? It may just be a reflection of a line but there it looks like a crack in the upper left hand corner. I use @PLAY-DOH front lip to fight against nasty scrapes like those. He is a great guy to deal with! They are about $300 if I remember correctly and bolt right up with no drilling, uses stock locations.
Attached Images

GuppyCaptain and PLAY-DOH like this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
The clam needs to come off to fix a bumper?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
The clam needs to come off to fix a bumper?
No. The front bumper can be removed without removing the clam. You will have to remove the headlights tho.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
For what is really not visible damage, you can paint it on the car and blend into the existing paint and no one would ever be able to see it even if they were looking for it.
Even at exotic and luxury car dealerships, it's not unusual if a bumper gets dinged while sitting on the lot, that it's spot repaired and blended into the area.

This is a very viable and appropriate repair for simple 2 stage paint jobs. On something like this where the repair isn't in direct sunlight I would even do it with a tri-stage paint job. Where repairs like this wouldn't be appropriate would be tri-stage paint jobs, in a highly visible area, where the paint might match in the shade, but as the sun hits it at different angles the flop might be slightly off.

Bumper shops do this type of repair typically for $150-300. The poster will pay Lotus tax and that number will go up once you pull up in your car, but still it's a relatively cheap and very easy fix.

OP @Erichy Call the local BMW/Mercedes/Porsche dealerships etc. Ask them who they use for damaged bumpers/simple repairs. They will likely know the guy in town who's cheap and still capable.

OR you could throw on a nice GRP front splitter. THey look great, they would hide this completely and prevent it from happening again.
I just slammed my car and pulled up to a curb and crunched my front carbon lip and it sounded AWEFUL, then rolled backwards tried to put it into reverse, put it into first by accident and DID IT AGAIN. ARGHHH.
Thought my front clam was destroyed, jumped out of the car, looked at the front end and it was completely untouched, and I mean literally I can't even see anything and I know all the imperfections. They really do protect the front end!!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:40 AM
glb

My bit of advice:

Don't go to much trouble about this. Use paint or ~.

But, given the position of the damage, remember to not run over anyone who you are trying to impress....

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Erichy, welcome to the forum! Sorry this had to be your second post.

As Ls1Rx7 mentioned, try a local high end dealer and see if they have someone who can repaint it in situ. Although, removing the front bumper isn't that big of a deal.

When my brother bought his Porsche, the previous owner had a front plate mounted. Part of sale was that the dealership would fill the holes and repaint that area. They had an independent guy come to the dealership (who my brother met while it was being done) and do it on the spot. When he was done, there was no trace of prior holes or even the spot paint to repair it. It was a phenomenal job. So, it might be something worth looking into.

Good luck with the fix and enjoy your new car!!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Ouch...that always sucks! Did you crack the panel as well? It may just be a reflection of a line but there it looks like a crack in the upper left hand corner. I use @PLAY-DOH front lip to fight against nasty scrapes like those. He is a great guy to deal with! They are about $300 if I remember correctly and bolt right up with no drilling, uses stock locations.
Or you could go crazy on a new GT430 Splitter for S1ís! A real splitter, not some glue on maxi pad like some are selling
Attached Images

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:08 PM

Garage
Where to buy that splitter?

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianLynch View Post
Where to buy that splitter?
Playdoh makes them....the one who posted the pics. I have his non GT version in the pics I posted and he was just showing the other version as well. Have had mine on for quite a while, it has taken a couple of bumps and still looks brand new.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAY-DOH View Post
Or you could go crazy on a new GT430 Splitter for S1ís! A real splitter, not some glue on maxi pad like some are selling
Well, NOT exactly a "Real Splitter".
A True Splitter is a Horizontal piece, that properly divides the air over and under the car into aerodynamic directions.
These add on pieces are great for protection and aesthetics, but do slope up to the front of the car thus negating a true splitter effect.
That is why I called the Original one of these a "Splitter-Protector".
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...otector-99320/
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys I feel better about it with all your suggestions. I saved a long time to get a car like this which is why it stung so much. 4 days!? Man, I have to remember I'm not driving an old truck anymore. Thanks again.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 AM

It will happen again, such is the life of a low rider... and people want them lower sheesh... Even my Masi has been christened...sh!! happens. Is it a driver or a garage queen?
1. The problem with most of these splitters is they are lower and get hit even more
2. I had one on my 2010 and the forces of the wind flexed it downward at 100+ mph till it exploded one day. Just an FYI Quite exiting for the car behind me hehe

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:15 AM

I would leave it as is for now and ignore it. If it just bothers you far too much and you must do something, sit on it for a while first. I’ve found that it’s not always best to take action on problems as quickly as you can. I would be concerned if it were my car, when I repaired it, I would want to do the best work possible (or have it done) at the best cost value. Ignoring damage that others can’t easily see, or can’t see, seems to work best for me. But, I can understand people that must get it repaired right away too.
cfg_77 and esseye like this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 PM

Garage
I read this post the other night, and thought - that's a good idea. And today - I did it. I road rashed the front of my Evora 40- after 10 months of ownership.
I'm looking into the touch ups from dealer-recommended providers and protection.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (manual, black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in