The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Key fob issue

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  AFKC 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2011 Evora and the key fob wasn’t working unless I was really close to the car so I replaced the key fob battery. Now the key fob will not work at all and unfortunately I only have one key. Thankfully this happened at home. The car is unlocked, but I obviously can’t start it because I can’t disarm it. Any ideas or do I need to go through the re-programing process? Thanks!

#4 ·
If you are sure the battery is new and seated correctly.
The car electronics is easily disturbed by some interference. I had it a few times that some nearby power station disturbed the signal. Sometimes moving the car by a couple of meters have helped.

#5 ·
Hopefully they provide the PIN without issue. When I had another blade cut, I had to send the dealer cutting it (it wasn't the dealer I bought it from) a copy of the VIN, copy of current Reg., a copy of my license, a pic of my car as well as a pic of myself (sent them a selfie with me holding license and car in background :grin2:).

I guess they wanted to protect themselves in case I didn't own a car and was stealing one which was fine with me.

Anyway, info on programming additional transmitters:

"Two transmitter fobs are provided with the new car. If one transmitter is lost or damaged, a replacement
should be obtained immediately, and programmed to the car alarm controller using the alarm system’s unique specific Identification Number (PIN). A maximum of 6 transmitters may be programmed to the car, any thereafter overwriting the first to have been programmed.

- With the engine immobilised (tell tale flashes briefly once per second), turn on the ignition.

- Enter the PIN as detailed in the emergency disarming process below, followed by the additional two digits 1, 1.

- The tell tale will flash rapidly for one second, then turn off.

- Within 8 seconds, press any button on the transmitter to be programmed. The tell tale will then pulse rapidly and the siren will beep.

- Within 10 seconds press any button on the next transmitter to be programmed (if applicable), and repeat this process for all remaining transmitters.

- When all transmitters have been programmed, wait for 10 seconds, or turn off the ignition.

To disable a lost or stolen transmitter from the system, use the above procedure to programme 6 transmitters,
if necessary repeatedly reprogramming the same transmitter if less than 6 programmed transmitters are to be used.

Emergency Disarming/Mobilising

If the key transmitter is damaged or fails to function, and a spare key is not available, the alarm system’s
unique sPecific Identification Number (PIN) may be used to disarm the alarm provided that access is available to the cabin:

- Turn on the ignition. The alarm tell tale will light.

- If the alarm is armed, accessing the cabin, or turning on the ignition will trigger the alarm until completion
of this emergency process.

- Within 10 seconds, turn the ignition off; the tell tale will begin to flash.

- After a number of flashes corresponding to the first digit of the PIN, turn on the ignition. Note that the first flash may not be of full duration (but is still to be counted) dependent on the waveform position at time of ignition switch off. Note that 10 flashes correspond to a zero digit.

- Turn off the ignition and after a number of flashes corresponding to the second digit of the PIN, turn on
the ignition. Repeat this process until all 5 digits have been completed. If, at any stage of the process, a
number is entered incorrectly, the system will immediately revert to the start, so that the whole PIN must
be re-entered.

- If the PIN is entered correctly, the alarm will now be overridden and the engine mobilised. However, automatic immobilisation will still occur after an ignition off time of 40 seconds, requiring a repeat of the above procedure to mobilise.

Note that automatic re-arming of the alarm and automatic door locking cannot occur until a working transmitter is used to operate the alarm."

#6 ·
Thanks guys. I will try moving the car and try it again. I will also call a dealer today. I think I will call Gator Motorsport for the PIN, I have seen them post on here before. I didn't buy my car new so hopefully they will give it to me without too much hassle.

#8 ·
No luck. Can’t figure out what is going on. I tried it several times and it did exactly what the above instructions said it would do (tell tale will pulse rapidly and the siren will beep). The strange thing is after my last try it worked, kind of. I was able to open the trunk but had to be standing right by that passenger door. I then got in the car and turning the ignition on and was able to immobilize it so I could start it. Thought I was good to go. This morning I try it again and I am able to open the trunk if I am standing right by the passenger door, but when I turn the ignition on and hit the lock button it won’t immobilize so I have no idea now. Any other ideas aside from keep trying again? battery in the key fob is new.

#10 ·
I don't think so. I have another car above it on a lift and it has always been parked in the same spot for the past two years and I have never had this problem. I also live out in the country so it wouldn't be coming from another house/building. I didn't get a chance to drive it last night, but i will give that a try tonight.

#13 ·
Ok, here is the update. Long story short, I believe jimmybondi was correct (thank you!). Still need to figure out what is causing the interference with the signal because it is still happening where I park the car at my home. The only thing that works where I park the car is opening the trunk and in order for it to work I have to stand very close to the passenger door. Last night I did the emergency procedure to get it started and drove it to my attached garage which is about 60 yards away from my barn where the car is parked. Once in my attached garage all worked perfectly.

Attached is a picture of the barn. The weird thing is that nothing new has been brought into the barn. Both cars have always been on trickle chargers, I have a TV in there, a heater with a thermostat, fridge, an invisible fence plugged in for my dogs, and that is it. No clue why the signal isn’t working in there. It is going to be a pain to have to go through the emergency procedure every time I want to take it out or take the car above it out, but at least I know the fob works. Sorry for the long post, but I figure I would give an update. Thanks for your help figuring it out.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.