Laguna Seca 90dB Noise Limit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Laguna Seca 90dB Noise Limit

GGLC has an upcoming track day at Laguna Seca and I'd really like to get my Evora 400 on the track.

Any tips for dealing with the noise limit? My understanding is that the stock exhaust is under the limit with the valve closed, but it does of course open the valve at 4k RPM, where it does exceed the 90dB limit.

Surely a few of you have dealt with this.

2017 Evora 400 - New!
2008 Lexus GX 470 (aka Landcruiser Prado 120) - Outdoor adventure vehicle
2011 Evora NA - Traded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 AM

Garage
I watched a Smoking Tire video on it, and he just let off before the mic and was able to run all day. His last pass of the day he didn't let off and got kicked out.

"Take turn 5, which is a fast sweeper to start the long, uphill climb, a gear too high, or off throttle."

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21...acks-at-a-time

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:10 AM

You guys are lucky. Try 86db at LRP. Draconian. When I find the resident making life tough for the track, I will spend an evening driving up and down the road in 1st gear!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
You guys are lucky. Try 86db at LRP. Draconian. When I find the resident making life tough for the track, I will spend an evening driving up and down the road in 1st gear!!!
Soo.. get the police called, potentially get a ticket, and give the residents ammo to use with the county/municipality to get the track shut down permanently?

Sounds like a good plan. Can't imagine why tracks are having issues.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye-bo View Post
I watched a Smoking Tire video on it, and he just let off before the mic and was able to run all day. His last pass of the day he didn't let off and got kicked out.

"Take turn 5, which is a fast sweeper to start the long, uphill climb, a gear too high, or off throttle."

https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/21...acks-at-a-time
And ditto on that a-hole, sure, he has his fun, but who wins in the long run?

All so you can get that last .1 imagined horsepower

I am not supporting people who move in near a racetrack and expect to hear nothing but birds all weekend, but the reality is what it is.

Following the rules enables everyone to continue to have fun going forward and will show those who have an agenda.

Breaking the rules only helps those who want to shut you down
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Garage
Just saying that our factory exhaust doesn't comply with the rules.

Here is something that will allow you to comply fully and floor it up the straight.

https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-ex...er-kt-track-v6
offero likes this.

Current:
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
12 others...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye-bo View Post
Just saying that our factory exhaust doesn't comply with the rules.

Here is something that will allow you to comply fully and floor it up the straight.

https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-ex...er-kt-track-v6
This looks useful, thanks.

2017 Evora 400 - New!
2011 Evora NA - Traded
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by offero View Post
This looks useful, thanks.
Just make sure to point it to the inside of the track, I believe the microphone is on the outside.

Current:
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
12 others...
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:48 AM

Because none of these complainers where there before the track.... and nothing says I can't legally drive at 86dB on the public road. I can "legally" do that all day long...if they don't like it, they can move. Think about the irrationality of having the same limits on track as a public road! I am not talking straight pipes or harley aholeists. Fact is there are 2 sides to every argument. They want to give us he!! , nothing says we can't give a little back. These owners keep bending over. Maybe it is time that they all join together and use some argument like better here than on the street or any other number of highly logical defenses. At LRP, Skip is getting old and has lost his will to fight back. Cali...you are in the middle of nothing out there and yet...well its Cali. My point is they are ruining our fun as well. What is most ironic is what I watched last weekend. Those Trans Am cars must put out 110-20 db of ground shaking HUGE noise...and they give us grief at 86dB. It was actually comically loud and all the track staff knew they were giving the neighborhood the giant middle finger. I could actually see a 105-110 dB limit at formal racing events as healthy choice. I was in middle of infield and could not talk to anyone 2 ft away. hehe oh, and the smell of leaded fuel....yea baby!!! First time I ever wished I had earplugs.
The deeper you let them dig in....the more they will want to take back.

The real problem is thee "complainers" may not even live in the area. They are just professional trouble makes just like the anti fluoridation types that stir up an area, cause public hearings to be booked, then never show up. Been there, dealt with that. Just like the group SEMA is fightingh, they are pu$$ies and hide, just as bad as the internet virals , scammers etc. So the odds of me getting lucky and finding a household are not very good. But it sure would be fun to get a few hundred of us at the legal limit in that neighborhood...bikers do this stuff all the time and get away with it. Case you didn't understand, its a rant thread.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

Last edited by brgelise; 05-29-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Because none of these complainers where there before the track....
That isn't relevant. Also, you don't know that to be the case. Either way, they are there, and they are residents. They get to make those decisions.

Quote:
and nothing says I can't legally drive at 86dB on the public road. I can "legally" do that all day long...if they don't like it, they can move.
You're a guest, they are residents. There are laws that can be used against you for doing what you're suggesting. Even if you aren't charged, the police can still come investigate, stop you, perform an evaluation, and generally make you have a very bad day.

Quote:
Think about the irrationality of having the same limits on track as a public road! I am not talking straight pipes or harley aholeists. Fact is there are 2 sides to every argument. They want to give us he!! , nothing says we can't give a little back. These owners keep bending over. Maybe it is time that they all join together and use some argument like better here than on the street or any other number of highly logical defenses. At LRP, Skip is getting old and has lost his will to fight back. Cali...you are in the middle of nothing out there and yet...well its Cali. My point is they are ruining our fun as well. What is most ironic is what I watched last weekend. Those Trans Am cars must put out 110-20 db of ground shaking HUGE noise...and they give us grief at 86dB. It was actually comically loud and all the track staff knew they were giving the neighborhood the giant middle finger. I could actually see a 105-110 dB limit at formal racing events as heathy choice. I was in middle of infield and could not talk to anyone 2 ft away. hehe oh, and the smell of leaded fuel....yea baby!!! First time I ever wished I had earplugs.
The deeper you let them dig in....the more they will want to take back.
The problem is you think there's any sort of "taking" from you. If you want to have a voice in the discussion, you'd have to become a resident. Buy the land, pay the taxes. Otherwise, everything you are doing there is being done because they have granted it to you. You're the guest. Act like one. Allowing you to remain there in any sense is contingent upon your good behavior. If you try to "take it back", you're going to get booted out completely and forever. You have no "right" to be there.

People with this attitude have cost us so many racing venues across the country already, because they can't manage to behave. Keep it up, and we won't have any left.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:34 AM

Who's side are you on??
The "business" in that locale has rights too, many of those rights go back 50-60 years. Last I checked, the "business" is a resident in the town. The owner of the business has become too complacent IMHO.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Who's side are you on??
The "business" in that locale has rights too, many of those rights go back 50-60 years. Last I checked, the "business" is a resident in the town. The owner of the business has become too complacent IMHO.
Having spoken with the owners in these positions, they get tired of defending behavior exactly like you describe at their council meetings and such where the subject is brought up. They are left to explain your actions to the residents complaining about them. Eventually, they get tired of doing so, or they start agreeing with the residents because of the behavior of people they are constantly kicking out of the facility.

All you're doing is making it harder on them. If you actually care about the tracks and the people running them, you should try to actually help them out by being on your absolute best behavior when you're visiting. As the director of one of the racing sanctioning bodies tells us at the beginning of every event: "Even if you are stuck driving behind a school bus full of nuns, we need and expect you to drive behind them in such a manner that each of those nuns will get off that bus and tell us what a polite and courteous guest you have been in this county." - Because that's how we get invited back next year to have the race again.
Scott M likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Whoa, this thread went off the rails quickly. Thanks to the couple of you who made recommendations (gear up and don't drive at wide-open on turn 5 and the tailpipe gadget).

I think people who buy homes near existing noisy places--race tracks, shooting ranges, quarries, etc.--then complain are nitwits too, but the rules are there and if I want to drive this particular track, I've got to deal with it. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
lotusquacious likes this.

2017 Evora 400 - New!
2011 Evora NA - Traded
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:05 PM

I'd be really careful using that tactic for the same reasons mentioned. I know it seems kind of off-topic, but if you get "caught", you'll get booted, and the track won't be happy.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 PM

I have to upshift to 5th early when they have the mike at the start finish line but i think I found where they were getting me on occasion the last time I was at LRP. When I downshift going under the bridge, my blip is getting nabbed..so back on topic, unlike what Bruce McGiness always taught me, maybe one can have too big a blip!!

So...watch your blip!!!

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:29 PM

While doing some reading, I found a common denominator in every thread. Someone complains about the noise rules, then goes on to add

"On my last lap I said the hell with it and went flat out and got the meatball, I mean, what the hell"

You morons

You abject, contemptible morons

No, owning a business, does not make you a resident

owning a business does not give you the right to make as much noise as you wish 7 days a week 365 days a year, anywhere, anytime

No matter how long you have been at it.

Foolishness

I am willing to bet many of the complainers support the track, that doesn't mean that every idjit for a thousand miles can show up and scream around every day.
It also appears there is huge local support for the track, but that is not the same as saying it is un restricted support. I wonder what the number of events a year looks like over time. I don't think there were many performance driving events in 1965. OR 1975. Or 1985.

One can tolerate only so much, even of a good thing.

I love music, but if the neighbor spent everyday with Black Sabbath on '11' i might be calling the cops
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Last I heard, Laguna Seca does have an allotment for "loud" days - but I don't know how that's changed over the years or what is left.

But I mean, the real answer is just to get a track exhaust made, yeah? The folks over at TheLotusForum have been discussing it for a while, but I've never actually seen a result.

Edit: Update, looks like they did complete it https://www.thelotusforums.com/forum...for-evoras4xx/
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:35 PM

Doesn't the Evora have a valved exhaust, I wonder if a valve defeat would be enough
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:33 PM

Its just how extreme the limit is at many facilities folks. 86dB is what most states with a public roads limit call legal. 90db is nominal. I think 95 db would be a VERY fair limit that most of us could deal with. That is my only point. Will I have to silence my exhaust that has passed muster all over Europe for LRP... Probably. Its my home track, and is still one of the most demanding out there. While I can complain, and do, we all realize that our greenies outnumber us. I do, however , thank all the little green peckers for driving Prius appliances so I can burn their gas!!! My exhaust is compliant at all 90dB tracks. I feel much better now.

BTW, I would LOVE to drive Laguna Seca someday!!

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

Suggest contacting Jon Vo at TrackSpec. They have a lot of experience with Elise, Exige and Evoras meeting the 90db limit at Laguna.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
esseye likes this.

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in