Laguna Seca 90dB Noise Limit - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Doesn't the Evora have a valved exhaust, I wonder if a valve defeat would be enough
That though occurred to me as well, I don't know if it needs vacuum to open or close, but in the closed position couldn't you just clamp the hose? I know it's listed as an "engine protection valve" but I don't think it's actually protecting anything.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Just a comment about the nut cases that complain about local track noise. Our local oval track spent years in court fighting just to remain open (est 1938) one crazy testified in open court that the noise from the from the track, 8 miles away, caused him the loose control of his lawn tractor and injuring his forehead. These are sad times we live in.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:17 AM

There are always nut cases, in every town

This is not about nutcases.

I just looked, there are 3 days in June with no events.

Without some form of noise restrictions, that is a lot of noise.

I am thinking 35 years ago there was not that level of activity at the track.

One can really love motorsports and not want to listen to every punk with a coffee can muffler for 8 hours a day, every day, all summer long

Again, every one of these punks purposefully defying the sound rules is another step toward more limitations.

Honestly if it were my track,and my business, every one of those pinheads would be permanently banned from the property
Liftnot2 and SS Lotus Elise like this.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tye-bo View Post
That though occurred to me as well, I don't know if it needs vacuum to open or close, but in the closed position couldn't you just clamp the hose? I know it's listed as an "engine protection valve" but I don't think it's actually protecting anything.
For what its worth...

"The exhausts primary flow path is through a multi chamber silencing system designed to reduce noise emissions
from the exhaust gas. This silencing system generates excessive back pressure at higher engine rpm (and
power) which could damage the engine.
Therefore, Lotus has engineered a second flow path (by-pass system)
that is controlled by a valve. When this valve is open the exhaust gas passes through only a small part of the
silencing system before exiting the tailpipes and with the reduced back pressure this offers, allows the engine
to safely generate full power. This valve is known as the Engine Protection Valve (EP Valve)."
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage
When I raced 2 cycle karts in the late 70's, we all had our exhaust exits pointed up. Pretty cool to see the smoke (from the 2 cycle oil) shooting up. The problem was that it also released the sound skyward, which made it louder from further away. After some complaints, the tracks started asking, then requiring, us to point the exit towards the ground. No effect on performance, but the ground deflected some of the noise and complaints from the track neighbors decreased. Turning down the exhaust might help.
Liftnot2 likes this.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
For what its worth...

"The exhausts primary flow path is through a multi chamber silencing system designed to reduce noise emissions
from the exhaust gas. This silencing system generates excessive back pressure at higher engine rpm (and
power) which could damage the engine.
Therefore, Lotus has engineered a second flow path (by-pass system)
that is controlled by a valve. When this valve is open the exhaust gas passes through only a small part of the
silencing system before exiting the tailpipes and with the reduced back pressure this offers, allows the engine
to safely generate full power. This valve is known as the Engine Protection Valve (EP Valve)."
Thanks Chrome! I read that in the owner's manual, but I'm not sure if excessive back pressure would actually cause engine damage. Erring on the side of caution though, it's always best to follow the manufacturers recommended usage. I was thinking that verbiage and the name of the valve was there to tell the government agencies that it's for protection and totally not there for better sound.

Anyway, I understand the concern and am trying to think of alternative ways to quiet the exhaust down. I want everyone to follow the rules, but still have fun, so there has to be some way of semi-quietly making all of the power.

Luckily both the tracks near me have a higher sound limit during operating hours since they are in very rural areas.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:47 PM
MY11 Evora S

Here is a link from my track experience when I had the 400 at Laguna Seca.

https://youtu.be/iYYDoR7GN18

Daily Driven Lotus - formerly 2011 Evora S, then 2017 Evora 400. Now with 2014 Smart E-Drive

Last edited by iDuc; 05-31-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:55 AM

Gus, why is it that when I mention the concept of reasonable limits for a track, you did not reply. 90dB is pretty damn low. 86 is ridiculous. My exhaust was built to be compliant...it is everywhere excpet Lime Rock. maybe it will be Tesla Zappers Rock someday???? Unlike the radical left, I'm not about to give up all my rights...yet. Think back at the #1 person on this forum that lambasted everyone for the stupid Plackslayer straight pipes.....who was being reasonable for the public roads?

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Sorry, under any rational understanding of 'rights' you have no 'right' to make as much noise as you please. I have no opinion on particular noise levels, that would be up for negotiation.

The radical left is not the problem, it is selfish people having no concept that other people exist.

Laguna Seca is not being shut down, far from it, there are 20 some odd track events this month alone.

Far from obstructionists shutting down a track, it seems to be flourishing

You are no more correct than the most obstructionist nimby trying to stop all activity at a long established track
Liftnot2 likes this.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:52 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Ya'll are reminded that Lotus patented a noise cancellation and control system for automobiles back about ten years ago.

LINK
The system is intended to reduce mechanical noise in the cabin while also capable of projecting some sort of audible warning towards pedestrian

Thinking out loud.

I was an engineer in sound/audio by trade but never paid much attention to the Lotus development once I'd read the fundamentals. There are a lot of smart guys on this board so in brief it uses the same polarity/phase/level control approach most noise reduction headphones do. This creates the inverse curve of what is monitored, net result being -1 plus +1 = 0.

Steering energy, even low frequency energy (which takes more gear and energy to do) is well known to engineers and system designers. I never really thought about the application in this way. I doubt many have. Pipes are tuned for power and sound in the aftermarket or they are meant to meet legal requirements. This problem is what we get on a crowded planet.

My political contribution is that it's not a matter of left or right, so @John , darn it, you were being a pill! I'm a lefty and I like noise and always have, even more now that my ers are shot so I don't even hear it. I understand the frustrations of modern life but walk it back dude!

Anyway, if Lotus has NC tech of a scale suitable and the interest to look into it, they could possibly do something very cool. One way would be to steer the low frequency stuff and cancel the high frequency stuff. Maybe cancelling the full bandpass could be miniaturized. In the large scale acoustics world it's done with a multiplicity of transducers and DSP. I don't know how that works on the smaller scale of a car but I could probably draw an amusing napkin's worth of ideas and pictures. Anyway, it's an achievable goal to get 90dB at a distance of say 30 feet? Depending on frequencies the thing generates. I should measure mine.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:51 AM

My point was too simple. 86db is a ridiculously low number. 90db isn't much better. 95db is quite acceptable. Its about extremism be it left or right induced. THe left comment was meant to gather attention...Nuff said. I am only fighting back about that which is ridiculous which seems to be an ever increasing American way. Example: Plackslayer pipe is ridiculous for use ANYWHERE.

I am a huge fan of common sense and when I see it being abused .....a sound limit at a track that is NO higher than a public road limit is draconian and the result of weak negotiation be it current or 50 years ago. And yet we let Harley's annoy the crap out of everyone....

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM

Laguna Seca is easy to manage the sound, short shift as you go up the hill from 5 to 6. The sound meter is in the 'shack' just before the bridge on the outside of the track. It's not a race, just play by the rules and have fun. I spend my time going up the hill thinking about set up for turn 6 rather than caring about how fast I'm going up the hill, there is much more time to be gained by taking turn 6 well than going fast past the sound meter. With the new pavement on corner exit of 6, divers should be able to take that corner flat with only a lift to settle the car on the way in. Have one of the local coaches show you the line, it's super fun and now you can finish the track out over the rumbles...fast and fun once you get it dialed. I have done a couple of races there since the pavement change and it feels so much safer as well as faster.

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in