The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus EVIJA

9K views 61 replies 41 participants last post by  Julian73 
#1 ·
#15 ·
I’m having a hard time getting excited about an unabtainium hypercar that nobody can afford and they’re probably only going to build 5 of. Even less excited about the all electric part. At 2000 electric HP, will it even make it a 1/4 mile at full throttle before the batteries are dead?
Agreed on the unobtanium

I think the batteries will last the x seconds for a 1/4 mile

a real track day is another issue
Come on guys, at least do a little background reading...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28408787/lotus-evija-photos-info/

Drive is supplied to each wheel through a combined motor and single-speed epicyclic transmission. Each motor will make up to 493 horsepower and will also add the ability to use aggressive and almost instant torque vectoring. Total torque output across the four motors is claimed to be 1254 lb-ft.

The Evija has also been designed to deliver its huge performance without complaint. With four heat exchangers, the company says that the car can be driven flat out for seven minutes in its most aggressive Track mode without suffering from any battery de-rating. (That should be long enough for a serious attempt to set a "production EV" Nürburgring Nordschleife lap record.)

#7 ·
I’m having a hard time getting excited about an unabtainium hypercar that nobody can afford and they’re probably only going to build 5 of. Even less excited about the all electric part. At 2000 electric HP, will it even make it a 1/4 mile at full throttle before the batteries are dead?

#9 ·

#10 ·
Haha, it’s not for people like you and me who would ask practical questions. There will be a sheikha in Dubai tooling around in one as soon as it comes off the production line.

#12 · (Edited)
I think they knocked this out of the park. The more I look at it the more stunning it is. The specs are impressive and it seems to be industry leading right now. I think is a great sign for things to come down the line at a price us mere mortals can afford.

0-300kmh in 9 seconds. Thats 3 seconds faster than the Koenigsegg Agera RS. That's insane. It's also very light for an EV with this kind of performance. The Rimac 2 is supposed to be 300kg heavier with the same horsepower. This thing is going to be an absolute beast.

#16 ·
".....the Evija won’t be offered in the United States". I knew that was coming. I hope that they are right about new models following soon behind.

#23 ·
This is a home run (maybe I should say goal? or century?) Even if they never build a single production car, this is a brilliant showing of everything Lotus is.

There is a lot of criticism on this board - and I include myself - and we tend to believe it's all constructive, and as fans and owners we are certainly able to offer our opinions. But I think we collectively owe a huge round of applause and a great deal of thanks to the dedicated team at Lotus who continue to build cars that are true to their purpose, and while change is inevitable if Lotus is to not just survive, but thrive, I believe they have done a fantastic job of making true sports cars at below extravagant prices, that constantly evolve, or in this case, jump to hyperdrive!

Thank you, Lotus. Thank you, ACB Chapman. And thanks to everyone on this board for caring.

I get to drive a Lotus every day. Does it get any better?

#27 ·
Neat exercise and everything, but the question is, what have they been doing in the meantime towards the cars we will actually put in the garage?

No telling what sort of $$$ went into developing such a thing.

I guess it will project the name and some prestige of the marque to a broader audience. Is this the styling direction Lotus are going?

Reactions: GuppyCaptain
#29 ·
Aha . . . you are the guy who noticed Gisele Bundchen‘s thighs wobbled a bit on the Victoria’s Secret runway.

“That’s fine and all—she looks pretty good despite the thigh-wobble. But when are they gonna have models that show how normal women look in lingerie?”

#33 ·
This is really wild. Just like that, Lotus went from a company that made two relatively affordable, relatively old-school cars (both brilliant), one of which is based on a nearly 20-year-old chassis design and the other which is over ten years old, to creating one of the most sculpturally beautiful, prohibitively expensive and insanely powerful hypercars in the world. They just catapulted over everything that has happened in the last 10 years of automotive technology in one fell swoop. A truly modern Lotus is upon us. Exciting times...

#49 · (Edited)
This is exactly my thoughts as well. It's like Lotus kicked the sports/supercar car industry in the Nuts! :crazyeyes
Lotus deserves everything coming to it, it's good to be apart of history in the making... :UK::bow:

The Evija is like the modern day Mclaren F1 IMO. Just like when Mclaren came out of nowhere and produced the F1 we can see history repeating itself with Lotus. This is the best move Lotus could have made to shine a bright light on the brand and increase desirability. I can see Lotus producing along the lines of modern Mclaren with having different levels of sports cars/supercars. I mean, don't they call the 570s a sports car (not a supercar)???

#36 ·
No, you're definitely not the only one. However I look at it as Lotus stepping out to lead the way, as they did in the 50's 60's. 70's and even the 80's. Like, OK you want to play the Hypercar game because "obviously" building a Hypercar must define how good your products are, well Lotus said, hold my bear and watch this. Yes it has tinges of Ferrari in the front (last has Ferrari's of today have traits from Lotus) and Ford GT Gen 2 in the back, or was that really LMP body that Ford copied; regardless Lotus seems to be only company that has blended front to side to rear end.

#37 ·
Also the evija has an "e" on the side if you observe.

I reckon this car offers a different kind of track experience than a Exige 430. Perhaps relatively, someone can look at Exige 430 and claim that nothing tracks like Formula car.

Lotus wants to build their VIP clientele and this is one way to do a catch up. Assuming the cost is $1M per car. If all sold, Lotus pockets about $130M which hopefully will be reinvested into building next gen Elise/Exige/Evora. If so, I am all for that.

#39 ·
Hope your model is right - I think the Evija will need to hit a sub-2-second 0-60 time to stay competitive with the Tesla Roaster without Elon's cartoonish rocket boosters lol. I don't think the general public is going to understand a 0-300 km time estimate; it's not a common metric. I really hope they find a way to push the power above 2,000 hp too - it sounds a lot better to say "over 2,000" than 1,972 from a marketing standpoint.

#40 ·
Ah but it turns out 0-300kph is a common Hypercar metric. I don't think the vernal public will be purchasing this car. as t 1972 Hp, perhaps the reason they used PS units at 2000. But really, isn't the highest in the world enough.

Reactions: brgelise
#44 ·
I don't think this is strange at all. It's just that we haven't seen Lotus make this bold a statement in a long time., or maybe at least this publicly. If you look at the history of Lotus, they were always among the most innovative. It is a little unfortunate that they had to get into the horsepower game, but at least they did even that in an innovative way.

#46 ·
I believe it was more of a marketing scheme for Lotus. To become a household name for everyone. I could see this produce more hits on searches or even social media. Which would lead them to the more affordable Elise/Exige and even Evoras. Which in turn, produce more sales for the used Lotus or even the up and coming new models. For the "true" followers, it's hard to see them make a car that's totally out of our price range for what they have been in the past. But times are changing now and I get it, the limited followers they had just wasn't enough to keep them afloat and are taking a different approach. I can definitely see where they are trying to go with this, but only time will tell if it actually pans out.

PS - I think it looks pretty badass, rear and all. Unfortunately, I can only dream of one in my garage. Sooo cool IMO!!!

Reactions: Julian73
#48 ·
I believe it was more of a marketing scheme for Lotus.
I agree. Commercial success is probably only one of several factors figuring in the decision to build it.

If Lotus, as we know it from the past actually sold all 130 that would leave an indelible impression. This is probably a naive question but are there 130 people ready to pay whatever the car ends up costing? I too think it's gorgeous and hope they kick ash. I believe I see the Lotusness of it in the presentation. I even think a couple of lines echo the Evora. I don't think I'm the first person to say that.

Still it's risky business for a little company. For a big company that wants to sell cars in large numbers it's probably already having a measure of success as a statement. This is yet another Lotus development that will be interesting to watch.

Meanwhile, where is my part?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.