Lotus EVIJA - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB37 View Post
I’m having a hard time getting excited about an unabtainium hypercar that nobody can afford and they’re probably only going to build 5 of. Even less excited about the all electric part. At 2000 electric HP, will it even make it a 1/4 mile at full throttle before the batteries are dead?
They’ll last 7 minutes at track speeds. Pretty amazing. Huge batteries though.... and weight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmysite View Post
They’ll last 7 minutes at track speeds. Pretty amazing. Huge batteries though.... and weight
If the traction motors really are 500HP each, then presumably regenerative braking is very effective. Road course work is a lot of accelerating and decelerating, and depending on the course, you might not exceed 100 MPH at any point (see Lime Rock). Diving into turn 1 and being able to dump 80 MPH of kinetic energy into the battery pack with regen braking should help battery life quite a bit on a road course.

This comes down to how fast the pack can accept a charge. There's been a lot of work in this area in the last decade, and presumably the Williams secret sauce that enables 1500 KW output from the pack will also enable high charge rates, and thus heavy regenerative braking.
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:33 AM

This is a home run (maybe I should say goal? or century?) Even if they never build a single production car, this is a brilliant showing of everything Lotus is.

There is a lot of criticism on this board - and I include myself - and we tend to believe it's all constructive, and as fans and owners we are certainly able to offer our opinions. But I think we collectively owe a huge round of applause and a great deal of thanks to the dedicated team at Lotus who continue to build cars that are true to their purpose, and while change is inevitable if Lotus is to not just survive, but thrive, I believe they have done a fantastic job of making true sports cars at below extravagant prices, that constantly evolve, or in this case, jump to hyperdrive!

Thank you, Lotus. Thank you, ACB Chapman. And thanks to everyone on this board for caring.

I get to drive a Lotus every day. Does it get any better?
glb, pharriso, eldonz and 2 others like this.

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
This is a home run (maybe I should say goal? or century?) Even if they never build a single production car, this is a brilliant showing of everything Lotus is.

There is a lot of criticism on this board - and I include myself - and we tend to believe it's all constructive, and as fans and owners we are certainly able to offer our opinions. But I think we collectively owe a huge round of applause and a great deal of thanks to the dedicated team at Lotus who continue to build cars that are true to their purpose, and while change is inevitable if Lotus is to not just survive, but thrive, I believe they have done a fantastic job of making true sports cars at below extravagant prices, that constantly evolve, or in this case, jump to hyperdrive!

Thank you, Lotus. Thank you, ACB Chapman. And thanks to everyone on this board for caring.

I get to drive a Lotus every day. Does it get any better?
The Lotus Evija will be in production next year. 130 cars will be produce.
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
You can save more than that, NSX's are being discounted heavily.
Yes, that's true; the NSX is really a very cheap 918; but at 2 tons, it's a very fast pig.
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawgs98 View Post
The Lotus Evija will be in production next year. 130 cars will be produce.
Coming out right after the GT Roadster and the 5 Paris cars.

To their credit, looks like they did produce all the 430 GT and Sport cars.

I don't know if he actually said it, but I believe Enzo Ferrari has been credited with saying he would build one less Ferrari than what the market wanted, so hoping there are at least 131 Evija buyers. I am sure the new sales and marketing teams know which circles to travel in to assess the market for this.
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
Neat exercise and everything, but the question is, what have they been doing in the meantime towards the cars we will actually put in the garage?

No telling what sort of $$$ went into developing such a thing.

I guess it will project the name and some prestige of the marque to a broader audience. Is this the styling direction Lotus are going?
GuppyCaptain likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM

It's good to see Lotus finally rolling out new products with the financial backing of Geely. I hope they don't forget to produce lightweight fun cars for us without deep pockets.
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Neat exercise and everything, but the question is, what have they been doing in the meantime towards the cars we will actually put in the garage?

No telling what sort of $$$ went into developing such a thing.

I guess it will project the name and some prestige of the marque to a broader audience. Is this the styling direction Lotus are going?
Aha . . . you are the guy who noticed Gisele Bundchen‘s thighs wobbled a bit on the Victoria’s Secret runway.

“That’s fine and all—she looks pretty good despite the thigh-wobble. But when are they gonna have models that show how normal women look in lingerie?”

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
Aha . . . you are the guy who noticed Gisele Bundchen‘s thighs wobbled a bit on the Victoria’s Secret runway.

“That’s fine and all—she looks pretty good despite the thigh-wobble. But when are they gonna have models that show how normal women look in lingerie?”
It wouldn't be LotusTalk without some whining and whinging.

LotusTalk: I really wish Lotus got more recognition.

Lotus: Here is the most powerful production car in history everyone!

Press: LOTUS! WOO!

LotusTalk: Man, why is Lotus making a hypercar? What a waste of time.
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
Is this the styling direction Lotus are going?
I hope so! Could you imagine some of these styling cues going into a Elise or Evora variant. They would look fantastic. Design wise, the Evija is like they took the best bits of a Ferrari, McLaren, Ford GT, and Koenigsegg.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1971 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianLynch View Post
I hope so! Could you imagine some of these styling cues going into a Elise or Evora variant. They would look fantastic. Design wise, the Evija is like they took the best bits of a Ferrari, McLaren, Ford GT, and Koenigsegg.
Some of these are already seen in the 410/430 Gt in Europe with the open arches and aero through the front bumper, wings and rear bumper. Styling with substance .
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:09 PM

Garage
This is really wild. Just like that, Lotus went from a company that made two relatively affordable, relatively old-school cars (both brilliant), one of which is based on a nearly 20-year-old chassis design and the other which is over ten years old, to creating one of the most sculpturally beautiful, prohibitively expensive and insanely powerful hypercars in the world. They just catapulted over everything that has happened in the last 10 years of automotive technology in one fell swoop. A truly modern Lotus is upon us. Exciting times...
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post

Guilty as charged, I guess.

Somehow I’m missing the point.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:41 PM
Premium Member

Sorry. I just can’t excited about this car. Sure it’s great advertising for the Lotus brand, but am I the only one that would rather rip around a track in an Exige 430 than this electric hypercar?
dr-exmedic and eldonz like this.

2011 Solar Yellow Elise SC
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener (SOLD)
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Sorry. I just can’t excited about this car. Sure it’s great advertising for the Lotus brand, but am I the only one that would rather rip around a track in an Exige 430 than this electric hypercar?
No, you're definitely not the only one. However I look at it as Lotus stepping out to lead the way, as they did in the 50's 60's. 70's and even the 80's. Like, OK you want to play the Hypercar game because "obviously" building a Hypercar must define how good your products are, well Lotus said, hold my bear and watch this. Yes it has tinges of Ferrari in the front (last has Ferrari's of today have traits from Lotus) and Ford GT Gen 2 in the back, or was that really LMP body that Ford copied; regardless Lotus seems to be only company that has blended front to side to rear end.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:43 PM
alp
likes to drive fast

Also the evija has an "e" on the side if you observe.

I reckon this car offers a different kind of track experience than a Exige 430. Perhaps relatively, someone can look at Exige 430 and claim that nothing tracks like Formula car.

Lotus wants to build their VIP clientele and this is one way to do a catch up. Assuming the cost is $1M per car. If all sold, Lotus pockets about $130M which hopefully will be reinvested into building next gen Elise/Exige/Evora. If so, I am all for that.

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:01 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
This is just insane - I'm modeled the car with Cartest2000 and am floored...

Best guessed to make it match 200+ mph and 8.6 seconds 0-300kph (186.5 mph) acceleration
Attached Images

GuppyCaptain likes this.

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Hope your model is right - I think the Evija will need to hit a sub-2-second 0-60 time to stay competitive with the Tesla Roaster without Elon's cartoonish rocket boosters lol. I don't think the general public is going to understand a 0-300 km time estimate; it's not a common metric. I really hope they find a way to push the power above 2,000 hp too - it sounds a lot better to say "over 2,000" than 1,972 from a marketing standpoint.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:56 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorColley View Post
Hope your model is right - I think the Evija will need to hit a sub-2-second 0-60 time to stay competitive with the Tesla Roaster without Elon's cartoonish rocket boosters lol. I don't think the general public is going to understand a 0-300 km time estimate; it's not a common metric. I really hope they find a way to push the power above 2,000 hp too - it sounds a lot better to say "over 2,000" than 1,972 from a marketing standpoint.
Ah but it turns out 0-300kph is a common Hypercar metric. I don't think the vernal public will be purchasing this car. as t 1972 Hp, perhaps the reason they used PS units at 2000. But really, isn't the highest in the world enough.
brgelise likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in