Lotus EVIJA - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Garage
Let's all go in together and buy one. We can keep it at my house.

2005 Lotus Elise
Salt Lake City, UT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 AM

I understand your point, but this isn't a car that was built to sell - including all tooling and development efforts I'm sure this is a breakeven proposition for Lotus. This is more-or-less a publicity move signaling an inflection point for the Lotus brand, probably in the direction of electric drive trains and a higher price point. As a result, I would think the car should be as relatable to the Lotus target market as possible, and the average Lotus buyer isn't looking to do 300km/hr lol

Likewise, the PS units are 2,000 but I think it's an oversight to allow the HP figure to be below 2,000 as a significant portion of the global auto market will be quoting HP figures. Perhaps they simply don't intend to sell much into those markets anytime soon, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Ah but it turns out 0-300kph is a common Hypercar metric. I don't think the vernal public will be purchasing this car. as t 1972 Hp, perhaps the reason they used PS units at 2000. But really, isn't the highest in the world enough.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM

cool car but a very strange move for Lotus. this is what they are investing their time in?? strange to me

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM

I don't think this is strange at all. It's just that we haven't seen Lotus make this bold a statement in a long time., or maybe at least this publicly. If you look at the history of Lotus, they were always among the most innovative. It is a little unfortunate that they had to get into the horsepower game, but at least they did even that in an innovative way.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
If the traction motors really are 500HP each, then presumably regenerative braking is very effective. Road course work is a lot of accelerating and decelerating, and depending on the course, you might not exceed 100 MPH at any point (see Lime Rock). Diving into turn 1 and being able to dump 80 MPH of kinetic energy into the battery pack with regen braking should help battery life quite a bit on a road course.

This comes down to how fast the pack can accept a charge. There's been a lot of work in this area in the last decade, and presumably the Williams secret sauce that enables 1500 KW output from the pack will also enable high charge rates, and thus heavy regenerative braking.

At Lime Rock that thing will be doing 160-175mph at end of straight. Probably faster than a P1 car of yesteryear!!!! BTW LRP is one of the faster sustained lap speeds on the IMSA calendar. This is about so much more than numbers folks!!! With the major changes in racing on the horizon, and the change to the hypercar class, I sense a possibility of this being the leading edge of a push into the next generation of motorsports. All the wiser to get some on the road for data accumulation, and satisfaction of homologation numbers!!! Basically, they have left Ferrari and Lamborghini standing there slack jawed. Ferrari never did quite catch up when all the regen tech was in applied to F1.

NOBODY HAS MENTIONED THE GIANT MIDDLE FINGER POINTED AT ELON WITH A 10 MINUTE CHARGE TIME.

As I said elsewhere, if he had concentrated more on range, or long distance driveability, he would already have taken over. Right now, a Tesla is just a very expensive commuter car that will be a giant PIA to use on a long trip.
Lckitty and TheKid#9 like this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 07-18-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:04 PM

I believe it was more of a marketing scheme for Lotus. To become a household name for everyone. I could see this produce more hits on searches or even social media. Which would lead them to the more affordable Elise/Exige and even Evoras. Which in turn, produce more sales for the used Lotus or even the up and coming new models. For the "true" followers, it's hard to see them make a car that's totally out of our price range for what they have been in the past. But times are changing now and I get it, the limited followers they had just wasn't enough to keep them afloat and are taking a different approach. I can definitely see where they are trying to go with this, but only time will tell if it actually pans out.

PS - I think it looks pretty badass, rear and all. Unfortunately, I can only dream of one in my garage. Sooo cool IMO!!!
Julian73 likes this.

2002 Honda S2000 - RIP MAY 2012
2005 Lotus Elise Sport and Touring Package - Weekend Warrior
2015 NX200T F-Sport - DD and Winter Beater
2006 Hummer H3 - The wife's
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:04 PM

I think Lotus has always had an applied to racing mentality with everything they make. I see a future here.......how much you wanna bet an IC powerplant fits back there, say hybridized for racing. Think of how compact those F1 motors are! We are all going to have a ball speculating on this, aren't we.

Boxerman, time to sell that big rock you have stashed somewhere....hehe

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:10 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRawkus305 View Post
I believe it was more of a marketing scheme for Lotus.
I agree. Commercial success is probably only one of several factors figuring in the decision to build it.

If Lotus, as we know it from the past actually sold all 130 that would leave an indelible impression. This is probably a naive question but are there 130 people ready to pay whatever the car ends up costing? I too think it's gorgeous and hope they kick ash. I believe I see the Lotusness of it in the presentation. I even think a couple of lines echo the Evora. I don't think I'm the first person to say that.

Still it's risky business for a little company. For a big company that wants to sell cars in large numbers it's probably already having a measure of success as a statement. This is yet another Lotus development that will be interesting to watch.

Meanwhile, where is my part?
NoRawkus305 likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
This is really wild. Just like that, Lotus went from a company that made two relatively affordable, relatively old-school cars (both brilliant), one of which is based on a nearly 20-year-old chassis design and the other which is over ten years old, to creating one of the most sculpturally beautiful, prohibitively expensive and insanely powerful hypercars in the world. They just catapulted over everything that has happened in the last 10 years of automotive technology in one fell swoop. A truly modern Lotus is upon us. Exciting times...
This is exactly my thoughts as well. It's like Lotus kicked the sports/supercar car industry in the Nuts!
Lotus deserves everything coming to it, it's good to be apart of history in the making...

The Evija is like the modern day Mclaren F1 IMO. Just like when Mclaren came out of nowhere and produced the F1 we can see history repeating itself with Lotus. This is the best move Lotus could have made to shine a bright light on the brand and increase desirability. I can see Lotus producing along the lines of modern Mclaren with having different levels of sports cars/supercars. I mean, don't they call the 570s a sports car (not a supercar)???
brgelise, Lckitty and GuppyCaptain like this.

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT

Last edited by Crazy05; 07-18-2019 at 01:47 PM.
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 06:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy05 View Post
The Evija is like the modern day Mclaren F1 IMO.
No, this is the modern day McLaren F1.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-f1-successor/
brgelise likes this.

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarf View Post
No, this is the modern day McLaren F1.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-f1-successor/
I already know about the T50. I didn't mean it's literally the F1's successor.

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:49 AM

What was the cost of the entire Evija project? Amortize that amount over the number of cars to be sold and then see if it's a money-maker or not. BUT WAIT ... even if it is not a profit-maker Lotus wins, because the entire automotive world (and many world-wide news outlets that don't normally focus on cars) have put Lotus in everyone's sight. How much would Lotus have had to spend on advertising to achieve the same impact?

Bottom line? Lotus made a great move.
Bottom line # 2? Lotus enthusiasts/owners benefit.

Mission accomplished.
brgelise likes this.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
What was the cost of the entire Evija project? Amortize that amount over the number of cars to be sold and then see if it's a money-maker or not. BUT WAIT ... even if it is not a profit-maker Lotus wins, because the entire automotive world (and many world-wide news outlets that don't normally focus on cars) have put Lotus in everyone's sight. How much would Lotus have had to spend on advertising to achieve the same impact?

Bottom line? Lotus made a great move.
Bottom line # 2? Lotus enthusiasts/owners benefit.

Mission accomplished.
Geely made a great move and made the investment, rightly with a debit put onto the Lotus Group balance sheet.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:50 AM

... I just hope that within the next year (at most 2) lotus does follow up with 1 or 2 more models to replace or evolve the Elise/Exige and Evora - and keep with the styling of the Evija.

Here's the hyper car! dream dream dream!!! and now, here are the more obtainable cars using the same tech from the fancy expensive hypercar...
darkSol and PLAY-DOH like this.

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM

First impressions were this is a groundbreaking design and may be the most "organic" and clever use of aero ever for a road car. Then watching some of the reveal videos thoughts came to mind. What exactly is being revealed? Could this be a bit premature? Where is the reassuring evidence of the car in development and being tested? The thousands of hours subjected to various climatic conditions? Something to prove reliability and durability under real world conditions. How about lap times at the Hethel track? Any track? Where are the development mules? How close are we really to an actual production version - one with the required air bags and safety equipment, and a place for a number plate? Yes, a max of 130 will be built but there are certain expectations for a car costing over $2 mil, or $20K for that matter.

Everything is motorized, even the charging port door and cooling fans in the headlight housings. Shouldn't the ethos of simplicity trump gimmickry? Basic things like how well does the a/c work or maybe it has yet to be integrated? Has the car yet been crash tested? How about real world charging time and range? Battery life under track conditions? Impressive performance numbers are bantered about yet all we have as evidence is a static display. At it's current stage could this be little more than just a glorified roller? Does a video even exist of the car driven under it's own power? When does virtual reality meet the real world? Until a prototype or pre-production version arises that can be independently tested to verify all the bold claims, it's just a concept. The Evija is touted as an multi million dollar statement of what Lotus can do, but unless it fulfills on the promise, what then? Just numbers on a piece of paper. That seems very unLotus like. Remember the hitchhiker in There's Something About Mary selling his idea of 7 minute abs? At best this has the potential to be a tour de force for Lotus brand recognition; at worst it could make Dany Bahar seem like a hero. Please don't be that! Fame is fleeting and fickle. How long before another manufacturer reveals the next greatest electric hypercar and this becomes just a forgotten blip on the radar? Six minute abs anyone?

Is this unjust criticism? Time will tell . . . . .
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:48 PM

To the naysayers, would you have preferred news about the new Lotus SUV instead?

It's a bit gutsy for Lotus to take this route, and honestly, I hope it pays off!
brgelise likes this.
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakham View Post
To the naysayers, would you have preferred news about the new SUV instead?
Actually, yes.

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:26 AM

Moderators & everyone else: why on earth is this thread in the "Evora" section?
post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Actually, yes.
Its called a Stelvio....

post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
Moderators & everyone else: why on earth is this thread in the "Evora" section?
Yes, separate discussion forum......?????
Julian73 likes this.

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in