Lotus Evora GT4 Cosworth GLA Spec Race Engine - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lotus Evora GT4 Cosworth GLA Spec Race Engine

Hello

*Lotus Evora GT4 Cosworth GLA Spec Race Engine*

- Has anybody done a swap to this engine?

- is this engine reliable?

- does it have 395 bhp?

- if you were to replace the stock engine of an (NA) with this what else do you need to upgrade...i.e exhaust, etc?

- is it worth upgrading to this engine or instead do the komotec upggrade for the evora NA

thanks

2014 Evora (NA) / MT / 2-0
BOE Chargecooler Series (FUTURE)

Last edited by phenoyz; 09-29-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Lotus Evora Specialty

It would surely be fun!!!

But at a minimum, race engines are not compatible (or will have a really, really hard time) with the stock ECU hardware. You'll probably need a stand-alone unit like a Motec, AEM, MegaSquirt... Race engines run badly at low RPMs--at part throttle, I would guess it will buckle and rock at anything less than 2500 so it's not streetable. You'll need a compatible drivetrain that can handle the torque (drivetrains are actually the highest maintenance part of a race car). That engine will never pass CA smog legally. As for reliability, most race engines are rated in hours--the Cosworth can be detuned for endurance but I would guess the peak performance lifespan of that engine is 40 hours. (For perspective, at 60 miles per hour--a totally random number--the engine would perform at it's peak for around 2500 miles.)

Sorry, Debbie Downer.
brightoncorgi likes this.

HethelSport.com
Lotus Evora Specialty
[email protected]
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HethelSport View Post
It would surely be fun!!!

But at a minimum, race engines are not compatible (or will have a really, really hard time) with the stock ECU hardware. You'll probably need a stand-alone unit like a Motec, AEM, MegaSquirt... Race engines run badly at low RPMs--at part throttle, I would guess it will buckle and rock at anything less than 2500 so it's not streetable. You'll need a compatible drivetrain that can handle the torque (drivetrains are actually the highest maintenance part of a race car). That engine will never pass CA smog legally. As for reliability, most race engines are rated in hours--the Cosworth can be detuned for endurance but I would guess the peak performance lifespan of that engine is 40 hours. (For perspective, at 60 miles per hour--a totally random number--the engine would perform at it's peak for around 2500 miles.)

Sorry, Debbie Downer.
So i guess SC is the best option. Recommendations?

Thanks

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Lotus Evora Specialty

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenoyz View Post
So i guess SC is the best option. Recommendations?
I'm ignorant on third party or add-on supercharges so I can't really help with recommendations.

I've read a few posts here about normally aspirated Evoras getting near Evora S levels of power with a cold air intake, headers, free flow exhaust, and a remapped ECU tune. Considering the effort involved with install and ECU fine tuning, I don't think this is always a more cost effective solution but it could be a very reasonable alternative.

The key to a straight-forward upgrade is going to be a reliable software tune and this is where I think the factory supercharger kit gets the advantage. Hopefully one of the more knowledge folks here can help with other S/C options or N/A mods.

One bit of advice I do have is about support. Except for those that can self-install, -maintain, & -troubleshoot (which I know many here can), being local to the kit manufacturer or having a local shop/tuner that can establish a good relationship with the kit manufacturer is crucial. In other words, reliable moderate HP beats unreliable high HP every time. Perhaps calling the various suppliers and asking if they have a prefered local installer will help you narrow down the right choice for you.

...in my humble opinion. Good luck, and have fun with the process!
phenoyz likes this.

HethelSport.com
Lotus Evora Specialty
[email protected]
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 PM

I've seen a few GT4 Evoras close-up in the Dubai 24 hr pits. A few observations :

The Cosworth built 4.0 uses a completely different intake plenum with single TB - long runners, large capacity, carbon fibre... I assume its got X6 long air trumpets inside the moulding. Its way bigger than the SC, and pretty much fills the engine bay above the cylinder heads.

The 4.0 had a completely different exhaust system made by Simpson. The manifolds were very long runs, no cats, heat coated & after the Y connector, the silencer was a single, side outlet. This mean the rear diffuser was different too.

The above exhaust was only compatible with the race gearbox (Xtrac?)

I think the list could get a lot longer... but I dont think this would be an easy swop. Lotus MS built the GT4's to go racing, when you get into the details, many components were charged Vs the road cars.
Kubera likes this.

Arabian Elises R US
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:12 PM

BOE has stage 1-3 upgrades to the evora. I have not gone this route (yet) so I can not comment on these upgrades specifically. I can tell you that Many view BOE as the go-to after market shop and their CAI sounds awesome. Good luck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Plug Whisperer

the gt4 motor won't yield the results you want, and it's not even a particularly reliable setup.

Run the 3.5 NA with the spec build we (VSA and BOE) have developed in the Stage 3 or step up to supercharging. The new supercharger setup that's coming out will make more power than the rods can handle if you ask it to.

That said, the stage 3 and the big blower thats coming out will/do make the car properly quick and exotic without the laundry list of issues with the GT4 motor...

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:48 AM

Big blower coming out for Evora!? @turbophil , more info please. Do you have a sense of timing, price or preliminary dyno charts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:41 AM

HI
Gla engine was 4-litre engine with a longer stroke. New intake is bolt on to OEM bottom parts of intake (GLB different intake directly bolt on to heads). This engine is dry sumped with OEM pressure section and external scavenge (in place of AC compressor). Running OEM throttle upgraded later for Bosch, personally converted few for dual Throttle (ford mustang) significant power increase. The engine was controlled by Pectel Ecu soon other option will be available with support OEM can bus..
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPe View Post
HI
Gla engine was 4-litre engine with a longer stroke. New intake is bolt on to OEM bottom parts of intake (GLB different intake directly bolt on to heads). This engine is dry sumped with OEM pressure section and external scavenge (in place of AC compressor). Running OEM throttle upgraded later for Bosch, personally converted few for dual Throttle (ford mustang) significant power increase. The engine was controlled by Pectel Ecu soon other option will be available with support OEM can bus..
your saying you "HAVE" done a conversion on this engine?

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/i...&listing=33870

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:

@GregPe posted here stating he's ex-Lotus Motorsports, so chances are probably good.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:

HI
I do run this engine in many racecars - both lotus builds and privately build. always with stand alone ecu. to be honest not on road cars.
An engine is still quite reliable but depends on batch first few had 2 ring pistons hence oil consumption was quite high later they were re-designed for 3 rings which helped a lot.
Challenges with conversion for the road car- no AC, Oil tank need to be located somewhere and ecu with support oem CAN bus - but ecu will be ready very very soon i hope by the end of the year.
Otherwise engine cant see why wouldn't work.. there is still a lot of potential in that engine one of my customer based on GLB engine is making in his car 480WHp. and I've calibrated this one so this is real number...
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
HI
I do run this engine in many racecars - both lotus builds and privately build. always with stand alone ecu. to be honest not on road cars.
An engine is still quite reliable but depends on batch first few had 2 ring pistons hence oil consumption was quite high later they were re-designed for 3 rings which helped a lot.
Challenges with conversion for the road car- no AC, Oil tank need to be located somewhere and ecu with support oem CAN bus - but ecu will be ready very very soon i hope by the end of the year.
Otherwise engine cant see why wouldn't work.. there is still a lot of potential in that engine one of my customer based on GLB engine is making in his car 480WHp. and I've calibrated this one so this is real number...
where are you located?

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
where are you located?
HI
UK Cambridgeshire, but i do travel a lot..
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 AM

Would that be in the Kim Bolton area Cambridgeshire Greg ?

Arabian Elises R US
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:50 AM
Sig

Garage
I would assume that an NA engine that puts out that kind of power that the Cosworth GT4 engine has a pretty high compression ratio...which would require race fuel. That would be a big inconvenience on a street car...

Whoever said that island life is great was never committed to Alcatraz...
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain-it View Post
Would that be in the Kim Bolton area Cambridgeshire Greg ?
Yes
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine.gun.kelly View Post
I would assume that an NA engine that puts out that kind of power that the Cosworth GT4 engine has a pretty high compression ratio...which would require race fuel. That would be a big inconvenience on a street car...
GLA runs pump fuel
machine.gun.kelly likes this.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Yes

Arabian Elises R US
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Garage
And on the flip side you have race teams dumping the finicky Cosworth engine for that of the 400

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype S 430 **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in