Main/Tailgate Harness Connectors - question - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By spaghettipie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Question Main/Tailgate Harness Connectors - question

Doing some updates to my '13 Evora S, adding the OEM Carbon front access hatch and tailgate. The main/tailgate harness & connectors are different between the two tailgates - I reviewed the Lotus Service Notes circuit diagrams and know how the new hatch needs to be connected (ground/tailgate switch/CHMSL), but before hacking up the harness to transfer the old connectors to the new hatch, I was wondering if anyone knows the part numbers or where to source the connectors themselves?

Would prefer to keep the harness intact and create a pigtail/adapter using a female connector of the new hatch, and male of the old one to connect to the car. I can't find part numbers in the service notes, or on the original connectors. I did find a number on the new one - but no dice searching for it.

I'm ready to start splicing... but before doing it figured I'd check with the collective experts (you!) if anyone knows how to find them.

Thanks!

-Spaghettipie
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Garage
I was actually going to create a pass-through harness for that connection to power my CHMSL flasher module, but couldn't locate the connectors. They're likely one of a dozen different brands that Lotus used throughout, but it would involve searching all of their catalogs to find an exact match.

In the end, it was easier/quicker to just splice into the wires I needed. If I ever had plans on reverting to stock, a piece of electrical tape is easy enough to manage.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM

A pass-through harness would be a good way to do it, if you have the right crimper. If not, solder would be much more reliable.

If you look very, very closely (get out your magnifying glass), there will almost always be some manufacturer's mark on any modern automotive connector. My top-of-the-head guess would be that these are AMP Superseal plugs, but I could be wrong. In any case, once you identify the type, they'll be easy to find from places like Digikey.

Edit: just went out to my 2011 and I see "AMP" on at least one of the tailgate connectors.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. NO part numbers on any of the connectors - seems Lotus wants to keep this to themselves ;-)

After some research, hereís what I found....

The connector on the OEM CF ducktail is APTIV (formally Delphi) part number 54200413.
The connectors on the OEM regular tailgate are AMP Econoseal III .070 for the latch and CHMSL, and AMP Econoseal III .250 for the ground and rear defogger.

After all that, not sure if I will build the adapter, or just solder the AMP connectors from my original tailgate to the CF one... depends on how patient I can be. Iím usually not that patient ;-)

-Spaghettipie
West-of-Hethel likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:22 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettipie View Post
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. NO part numbers on any of the connectors - seems Lotus wants to keep this to themselves ;-)

After some research, hereís what I found....

The connector on the OEM CF ducktail is APTIV (formally Delphi) part number 54200413.
The connectors on the OEM regular tailgate are AMP Econoseal III .070 for the latch and CHMSL, and AMP Econoseal III .250 for the ground and rear defogger.

After all that, not sure if I will build the adapter, or just solder the AMP connectors from my original tailgate to the CF one... depends on how patient I can be. Iím usually not that patient ;-)

-Spaghettipie
I'm wanting to put flasher on CHMSL also, but not sure where to splice in the wires (no room behind CHMSL for module); your info helpful...is there a separate connector for the CHMSL only that can be used? Looks like only two wires to the CHMSL? Any help/suggestions appreciated!

"the most uninterested man in the world....stay thirsty, my friend"
2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scv View Post
I'm wanting to put flasher on CHMSL also, but not sure where to splice in the wires (no room behind CHMSL for module); your info helpful...is there a separate connector for the CHMSL only that can be used? Looks like only two wires to the CHMSL? Any help/suggestions appreciated!
Is the flasher only for the CHMSL or for all the brake lights? If it's only for the CHMSL... would think you can use the G/P wire (Green with Purple stripe) coming from the tailgate, near the right hinge, and attaching to the roll cage on the right side. You should find room in there to mount the module. FYI - coming out of the tailgate, you should find 4 wires (if you have one with the glass window) - G/P is the CHMSL, B (Black) is the ground, R/S (Red with Grey stripe) is the latch switch, and G/K (Green with Pink stripe) is the rear window defroster.

At least that's how it looks on my car...

-Spaghettipie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:04 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettipie View Post
Is the flasher only for the CHMSL or for all the brake lights? If it's only for the CHMSL... would think you can use the G/P wire (Green with Purple stripe) coming from the tailgate, near the right hinge, and attaching to the roll cage on the right side. You should find room in there to mount the module. FYI - coming out of the tailgate, you should find 4 wires (if you have one with the glass window) - G/P is the CHMSL, B (Black) is the ground, R/S (Red with Grey stripe) is the latch switch, and G/K (Green with Pink stripe) is the rear window defroster.

At least that's how it looks on my car...

-Spaghettipie
Well, finally got to this project. Spaghettipie, thanks for confirming wire colors; mine are the same.
In further efforts, I found for me a perfect location. Remove the panel from the inside of the trunk lid, and all the wiring is easily visible to work with, and there is plenty of room to mount the flasher unit. After installing, replacing the panel cover and all looks untouched, including the harness by the right role bar/body/hatch area, so no change from stock look.....this is what i was looking for......
Used pigtail inline connectors, so can remove/replace flasher as wanted ( and change flash or return to stock)
Attached Images

2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:37 AM

Garage
That is a cleaner location for the flasher module, but I'm surprised you get a good ground using the latch bolt. I would have thought there wasn't enough conductive metal in the hatch.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 04:26 AM
scv

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
That is a cleaner location for the flasher module, but I'm surprised you get a good ground using the latch bolt. I would have thought there wasn't enough conductive metal in the hatch.
Sorry for the misleading picture. I did not use the latch bolt ground; used the factory ground to the chmsl (pic misleadingly shows overlay view of the two ground wires where they each exit the combined wrapped harness). In either case, I would think each wire carries the conductivity from the end point (chmsl or closing latch) to the chassis ground point Lotus chose...?.
I certainly could be wrong (just ask my wife !) although my only recollection was that occurrence in 1972.......
In any event, it works, and I didn't even use a hammer.......!

2017 Evora 400
2012 Evora S-sold
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 AM

Garage
Ah I see. The latch ties the hatch to the RH rear ground point.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in