LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Lotus Evora (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/)
-   -   Near complete gear slippage (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/near-complete-gear-slippage-471146/)

AdamsWorld 07-25-2019 08:31 PM

Near complete gear slippage

I was driving today and there was a burning plastic smell out of no where. No smoke, just a burning plastic smell. In addition, shifting was very hard as it would seem to slip out of gear around 3, 4th and 5th. I would already be in gear and it would rev, but move and still rev. It only has around 7k in miles.

Any ideas/

Bobsy Racer 07-25-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5966812)
I was driving today and there was a burning plastic smell out of no where. No smoke, just a burning plastic smell. In addition, shifting was very hard as it would seem to slip out of gear around 3, 4th and 5th. I would already be in gear and it would rev, but move and still rev. It only has around 7k in miles.

Any ideas/

What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?

AdamsWorld 07-25-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer (Post 5966814)
What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?

2012 Evora S
six speed manual
Around 7k in miles.

SOWEAK 07-25-2019 09:59 PM

Seems a little early at 7k, but this was my same symptoms for a clutch master cylinder failure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5966816)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer (Post 5966814)
What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?

2012 Evora S
six speed manual
Around 7k in miles.

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOWEAK (Post 5966818)
Seems a little early at 7k, but this was my same symptoms for a clutch master cylinder failure.

Was it expensive to fix?

hdho1 07-26-2019 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5966866)
Was it expensive to fix?

I was quoted $1800 to $2000 at the shops near me to fix the master cylinder when the issue cropped up. I ended up spending the weekend doing it myself. $350 for the part and I outsourced the clutch bleed for $150. BOE has a good guide on their website if you want to undertake that. Make sure you buy an aftermarket cylinder from GRP or BOE since the OEM is highly prone to failure.

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdho1 (Post 5966874)
I was quoted $1800 to $2000 at the shops near me to fix the master cylinder when the issue cropped up. I ended up spending the weekend doing it myself. $350 for the part and I outsourced the clutch bleed for $150. BOE has a good guide on their website if you want to undertake that. Make sure you buy an aftermarket cylinder from GRP or BOE since the OEM is highly prone to failure.

That's a bit over my pay grade. I called the service center in NJ, and they think it's the clutch and quoted 9k to replace the clutch. Anyone know of any other options in the NY/NJ area?

hdho1 07-26-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5966884)
That's a bit over my pay grade. I called the service center in NJ, and they think it's the clutch and quoted 9k to replace the clutch. Anyone know of any other options in the NY/NJ area?

I would absolutely start with the master cylinder first since its a common issue and will save you lots of money if that is what is indeed the problem. $9k does seem very pricey for a clutch change. I think the average is about $6-7k. Was it Lotus who quoted this amount?

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 07:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdho1 (Post 5966898)
I would absolutely start with the master cylinder first since its a common issue and will save you lots of money if that is what is indeed the problem. $9k does seem very pricey for a clutch change. I think the average is about $6-7k. Was it Lotus who quoted this amount?

It was RS Motorsports. Great work, but very expensive and he cannot see me for a few months as well. I am also wondering if the clutch work would be covered under Lotus due to the service bulletin released a few years ago (attached).

esseye 07-26-2019 07:42 AM

Unfortunately, service bulletins aren't recalls or warranty extensions, so it's unlikely.

Your failure sounds more like the clutch to me personally than the MC. MC failures I would generally expect to go the "other way" - in that you can't disengage the clutch. It sounds like your clutch can't be engaged.

Europa TC 07-26-2019 08:27 AM

hdho 1 is spot on about changing the slave cylinder 1st. It's relatively inexpensive, that crappy slave cylinder has some plastic components that are subject to melting (ring a bell?), and it's going to need replacement soon anyway. My 2012 has a Wilwood unit that should last two lifetimes, but you need to adjust it for the cruise control to work. If it turns out you still need a new clutch, then you haven't lost anything by changing the slave cyl first.

Julian73 07-26-2019 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Europa TC (Post 5966916)
hdho 1 is spot on about changing the slave cylinder 1st. It's relatively inexpensive, that crappy slave cylinder has some plastic components that are subject to melting (ring a bell?), and it's going to need replacement soon anyway. My 2012 has a Wilwood unit that should last two lifetimes, but you need to adjust it for the cruise control to work. If it turns out you still need a new clutch, then you haven't lost anything by changing the slave cyl first.

Believe you are meaning the master .. ie the cylinder connected to the pedal

West-of-Hethel 07-26-2019 09:40 AM

To the OP, are you saying that driving in a high gear, and your foot not on the clutch pedal, you can rev up the engine without increasing road speed?

Partsfinder 07-26-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel (Post 5966944)
To the OP, are you saying that driving in a high gear, and your foot not on the clutch pedal, you can rev up the engine without increasing road speed?

Yes OP seems to say slipping while already in a gear. The only way this could be clutch master or slave cylinders would be if they are holding clutch particularly disengaged. Is that the issue with those of you that had a cylinder failure.

Mobius97 07-26-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdho1 (Post 5966874)

That's quite an expensive quote. Mine was repaired at my Lotus dealer under warranty but on the service order it was listed out $800 for parts and labor. Most will tell you it is a clam off job, it is not. Dropped the car off late in the day and picked it up early afternoon next day. If it ever fails again I will definitely be going aftermarket with BOE's or Gregs options.

I would get the car in and have them diagnose it. When my MC failed I did not have the typical symptoms of a MC failure (spongy clutch pedal or dropping to the floor) and I too thought it was the actual clutch going out. I had severe slippage and climbing rev's when accelerating, ya know typical clutch going out symptoms. As it turned out for me the MC was not relieving pressure and causing a cascade effect down the line.

glb 07-26-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5966884)

You withhold important info.

Where in NJ? N? S? What?

Yes, I know places.

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partsfinder (Post 5966950)
Yes OP seems to say slipping while already in a gear. The only way this could be clutch master or slave cylinders would be if they are holding clutch particularly disengaged. Is that the issue with those of you that had a cylinder failure.

I am already in gear and driving and it just revs. My foot is not touching the clutch. I've been driving a manual for 20+ years, never destroyed a clutch. RS Motorsports serviced it not too long ago and all was good. So, no idea what's going on.

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glb (Post 5966966)
You withhold important info.

Where in NJ? N? S? What?

Yes, I know places.

My apologies. Fort Lee, NJ area.

Mobius97 07-26-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamsWorld (Post 5967014)
I am already in gear and driving and it just revs. My foot is not touching the clutch. I've been driving a manual for 20+ years, never destroyed a clutch. RS Motorsports serviced it not too long ago and all was good. So, no idea what's going on.

Read my post above. I had the exact symptoms and mine was the MC. Much easier and cheaper than a clutch job. :grin2: I hope that is the case with yours as well.

AdamsWorld 07-26-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius97 (Post 5967032)
Read my post above. I had the exact symptoms and mine was the MC. Much easier and cheaper than a clutch job. :grin2: I hope that is the case with yours as well.

I hope so. I called two mechanic shops that I was referred to, no return calls yet.

Years ago, the master cylinder went in my Mustang. I was still able to drive, but the breaks were shot. I had to use my emergency break to stop. This is much different. However, that was an auto, not manual transmission. I do not recall a burning smell though. This was 20+ years ago.