Near complete gear slippage - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Near complete gear slippage

I was driving today and there was a burning plastic smell out of no where. No smoke, just a burning plastic smell. In addition, shifting was very hard as it would seem to slip out of gear around 3, 4th and 5th. I would already be in gear and it would rev, but move and still rev. It only has around 7k in miles.

Any ideas/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsWorld View Post
I was driving today and there was a burning plastic smell out of no where. No smoke, just a burning plastic smell. In addition, shifting was very hard as it would seem to slip out of gear around 3, 4th and 5th. I would already be in gear and it would rev, but move and still rev. It only has around 7k in miles.

Any ideas/
What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?
Julian73 likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?

2012 Evora S
six speed manual
Around 7k in miles.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Seems a little early at 7k, but this was my same symptoms for a clutch master cylinder failure.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
What Year ?
Model ?
6 speed or IPS ?

2012 Evora S
six speed manual
Around 7k in miles.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWEAK View Post
Seems a little early at 7k, but this was my same symptoms for a clutch master cylinder failure.
Was it expensive to fix?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Was it expensive to fix?
I was quoted $1800 to $2000 at the shops near me to fix the master cylinder when the issue cropped up. I ended up spending the weekend doing it myself. $350 for the part and I outsourced the clutch bleed for $150. BOE has a good guide on their website if you want to undertake that. Make sure you buy an aftermarket cylinder from GRP or BOE since the OEM is highly prone to failure.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdho1 View Post
I was quoted $1800 to $2000 at the shops near me to fix the master cylinder when the issue cropped up. I ended up spending the weekend doing it myself. $350 for the part and I outsourced the clutch bleed for $150. BOE has a good guide on their website if you want to undertake that. Make sure you buy an aftermarket cylinder from GRP or BOE since the OEM is highly prone to failure.
That's a bit over my pay grade. I called the service center in NJ, and they think it's the clutch and quoted 9k to replace the clutch. Anyone know of any other options in the NY/NJ area?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
That's a bit over my pay grade. I called the service center in NJ, and they think it's the clutch and quoted 9k to replace the clutch. Anyone know of any other options in the NY/NJ area?
I would absolutely start with the master cylinder first since its a common issue and will save you lots of money if that is what is indeed the problem. $9k does seem very pricey for a clutch change. I think the average is about $6-7k. Was it Lotus who quoted this amount?
Europa TC likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I would absolutely start with the master cylinder first since its a common issue and will save you lots of money if that is what is indeed the problem. $9k does seem very pricey for a clutch change. I think the average is about $6-7k. Was it Lotus who quoted this amount?
It was RS Motorsports. Great work, but very expensive and he cannot see me for a few months as well. I am also wondering if the clutch work would be covered under Lotus due to the service bulletin released a few years ago (attached).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 AM

Unfortunately, service bulletins aren't recalls or warranty extensions, so it's unlikely.

Your failure sounds more like the clutch to me personally than the MC. MC failures I would generally expect to go the "other way" - in that you can't disengage the clutch. It sounds like your clutch can't be engaged.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:27 AM

hdho 1 is spot on about changing the slave cylinder 1st. It's relatively inexpensive, that crappy slave cylinder has some plastic components that are subject to melting (ring a bell?), and it's going to need replacement soon anyway. My 2012 has a Wilwood unit that should last two lifetimes, but you need to adjust it for the cruise control to work. If it turns out you still need a new clutch, then you haven't lost anything by changing the slave cyl first.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
hdho 1 is spot on about changing the slave cylinder 1st. It's relatively inexpensive, that crappy slave cylinder has some plastic components that are subject to melting (ring a bell?), and it's going to need replacement soon anyway. My 2012 has a Wilwood unit that should last two lifetimes, but you need to adjust it for the cruise control to work. If it turns out you still need a new clutch, then you haven't lost anything by changing the slave cyl first.
Believe you are meaning the master .. ie the cylinder connected to the pedal
Europa TC likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 09:40 AM

To the OP, are you saying that driving in a high gear, and your foot not on the clutch pedal, you can rev up the engine without increasing road speed?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:04 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
To the OP, are you saying that driving in a high gear, and your foot not on the clutch pedal, you can rev up the engine without increasing road speed?
Yes OP seems to say slipping while already in a gear. The only way this could be clutch master or slave cylinders would be if they are holding clutch particularly disengaged. Is that the issue with those of you that had a cylinder failure.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
That's quite an expensive quote. Mine was repaired at my Lotus dealer under warranty but on the service order it was listed out $800 for parts and labor. Most will tell you it is a clam off job, it is not. Dropped the car off late in the day and picked it up early afternoon next day. If it ever fails again I will definitely be going aftermarket with BOE's or Gregs options.

I would get the car in and have them diagnose it. When my MC failed I did not have the typical symptoms of a MC failure (spongy clutch pedal or dropping to the floor) and I too thought it was the actual clutch going out. I had severe slippage and climbing rev's when accelerating, ya know typical clutch going out symptoms. As it turned out for me the MC was not relieving pressure and causing a cascade effect down the line.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:41 AM
glb

Quote:
You withhold important info.

Where in NJ? N? S? What?

Yes, I know places.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsfinder View Post
Yes OP seems to say slipping while already in a gear. The only way this could be clutch master or slave cylinders would be if they are holding clutch particularly disengaged. Is that the issue with those of you that had a cylinder failure.
I am already in gear and driving and it just revs. My foot is not touching the clutch. I've been driving a manual for 20+ years, never destroyed a clutch. RS Motorsports serviced it not too long ago and all was good. So, no idea what's going on.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
You withhold important info.

Where in NJ? N? S? What?

Yes, I know places.
My apologies. Fort Lee, NJ area.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I am already in gear and driving and it just revs. My foot is not touching the clutch. I've been driving a manual for 20+ years, never destroyed a clutch. RS Motorsports serviced it not too long ago and all was good. So, no idea what's going on.

Read my post above. I had the exact symptoms and mine was the MC. Much easier and cheaper than a clutch job. I hope that is the case with yours as well.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Read my post above. I had the exact symptoms and mine was the MC. Much easier and cheaper than a clutch job. I hope that is the case with yours as well.
I hope so. I called two mechanic shops that I was referred to, no return calls yet.

Years ago, the master cylinder went in my Mustang. I was still able to drive, but the breaks were shot. I had to use my emergency break to stop. This is much different. However, that was an auto, not manual transmission. I do not recall a burning smell though. This was 20+ years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in