Need a new throttle position sensor for my Evora S and need to know which car matches - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By cyow5
  • 1 Post By esseye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Need a new throttle position sensor for my Evora S and need to know which car matches

Hey guys I was hoping to purchase a throttle position sensor and was hoping there was another car that matches the exact same part.
Thank you in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Can anyone confirm if this is the same part?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-10...1/351602291468
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Throttle body, not throttle position sensor.

Typically you will be able to find a Toyota or OEM part number on an assembly like that which you can then google to confirm fitment to specific Toyota models. But it has to be said that it would be somewhat unusual for the throttle body to have failed, particularly with a low-mileage car like yours. (Looking at your previous posts here.)

Are you trying to fix your perceived limp mode symptoms, which you've mentioned here previously? Is this the same problem you identified as a crank position sensor issue a few months ago?

No offense, but you seem to be struggling to get your new-to-you low-miles 2013 S on its feet. Perhaps if you describe the problems you're having, and the associated codes the ECU is giving, somebody here can give you some pointers based on specific experience. That might be more fruitful than throwing parts at it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Throttle body, not throttle position sensor.

Typically you will be able to find a Toyota or OEM part number on an assembly like that which you can then google to confirm fitment to specific Toyota models. But it has to be said that it would be somewhat unusual for the throttle body to have failed, particularly with a low-mileage car like yours. (Looking at your previous posts here.)

Are you trying to fix your perceived limp mode symptoms, which you've mentioned here previously? Is this the same problem you identified as a crank position sensor issue a few months ago?

No offense, but you seem to be struggling to get your new-to-you low-miles 2013 S on its feet. Perhaps if you describe the problems you're having, and the associated codes the ECU is giving, somebody here can give you some pointers based on specific experience. That might be more fruitful than throwing parts at it.
I have been having the same issues for a very long time. I think after running an OBD II scan I got a bunch of errors pertaining to the TPS sensor being faulty. Something else I noticed was the coolant temperature circuit range /performance problem error. I did add some redline water wetter about the time this stuff starting happening and I'm wondering if that could be causing all of this because the coolant temperature is too low?
Attached Images

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 04:56 AM

It looks like your wiring harness is FUBAR'd
eldonz and esseye like this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
It looks like your wiring harness is FUBAR'd
What's this mean? what do I have to do to confirm this?
The car still runs pretty good it just has a delay on acceleration and shifts weird sometimes.
might be lacking power too but hard to tell unless I drive in another evora S.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

looks like wiggling the map connector did the trick. I guess I could have a harness issue but has anyone tried to install a capacitor to get a steady voltage for the ECU? Seems like it would be an easy fix and help for voltage stability.
PS all my error codes are gone now.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfly21 View Post
What's this mean? what do I have to do to confirm this?
The car still runs pretty good it just has a delay on acceleration and shifts weird sometimes.
might be lacking power too but hard to tell unless I drive in another evora S.
"F'd Up Beyond All Recognition/Repair"

There's a relatively common issue with Evora wiring harnesses being replaced, but, as an Elise owner, I've only seen the conversations in passing through here. Do a google search and see if the symptoms fit though.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
looks like wiggling the map connector did the trick. I guess I could have a harness issue but has anyone tried to install a capacitor to get a steady voltage for the ECU? Seems like it would be an easy fix and help for voltage stability.
PS all my error codes are gone now.
There is a "recommended" fix to zip tie the MAF sensor securely to the port to keep it from moving around. Not sure if that's part of your issue (I assume you mean the MAF, as I don't think we have a MAP?)

A capacitor is definitely not the answer for a sensor, as changing voltage is the whole function of those sensors. You do not want voltage stability.
2011 chrome orange likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
A capacitor is definitely not the answer for a sensor, as changing voltage is the whole function of those sensors. You do not want voltage stability.
Echoing this statement, the ECU has both physical and digital filters to handle the signal processing.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 AM

Although I have not used it, its been recommended by some to use Stabilant 22 on the plug for better connections. And, as esseye stated, a zip tie may be the fix. In fact, the zip tie is now listed in the parts section for the 400's...
Attached Images

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:56 AM

Garage
Stabilant 22 works great on the MAF and TPS connectors. Along with the high-tech zip tie fix, that may resolve the issue enough to avoid having to get a new wiring harness.

I find that it dries out pretty quickly though, so I reapply monthly.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help, I will try the Stabilant 22 with the high tech zip tie on both the MAF and TPS connector.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
Although I have not used it, its been recommended by some to use Stabilant 22 on the plug for better connections. And, as esseye stated, a zip tie may be the fix. In fact, the zip tie is now listed in the parts section for the 400's...
Do you by change have the schematics for all the ground points on the Evora S. I've been reading a lot of problems with lose ground wires. Thank you to all who have helped!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Stabilant 22 works great on the MAF and TPS connectors. Along with the high-tech zip tie fix, that may resolve the issue enough to avoid having to get a new wiring harness.

I find that it dries out pretty quickly though, so I reapply monthly.
Thank you again =)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Do you by change have the schematics for all the ground points on the Evora S. I've been reading a lot of problems with lose ground wires. Thank you to all who have helped!
Here you go.
Attached Images

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
Here you go.
I didn't realize there were so many points.

Thank you for the info I'll start checking from the battery to the engine compartment and hope to get lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in