Need to remove undertray to access clutch slave cylinder to bleed the system - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
A handy table: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...pID=BRAKEFLUID

As a 3% moisture content is a Wet fluid and without flushing after every race weekend you will easily be at 3% or higher, 1 year flush cycles should focus on that figure.
Attached Images

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:57 AM

Castrol SRF is obviously the superior product and the cost is reflected. I have always stuck with ATE Type 200 because I have never had issues with it, it is much more cost effective and half the cost. I bleed before every track day so the cooked product is removed. Over course of a season I am sure things get cycled through at least 3X. I have had a fail with an old container of AP Super 600. Container was sealed but was dark upon opening and not knowing differently (thought this was the color of the product) found it to boil real easy. complete flush required...anbd was appaently given bad advice as its not compatible ...... well that was years ago now.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
MGB

I'm having no end of trouble getting the tube on the slave cylinder nipple. I got it on once and started the bleed, but pressure made it push off. The heat shield requires the tube to make a sharp turn, and the one I have is thick and doesn't want to get on there. Of course auto parts stores around here don't have a good selection of tubing.

Also I lost the little nipple cap!

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
MGB

After much difficulty and searching for tubes, I found a rubber fuel line at Auto Zone that could actually fit on the nipple at that crazy angle, and I managed to bleed the whole system
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
........Also I lost the little nipple cap!
Either mine didn't come with a nipple cap, or the tech that originally serviced the car back in the day never put it back on after he bled it.

And, to be honest, I didn't even realize it wasn't there when I bled it myself. But, now that you mentioned it, I'll get a cap to put back on mine.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
...................Also I lost the little nipple cap!
I put a cap back onto my bleeder nipple today. Instead of just ordering a $3.75 cap from Lotus, I got a bag of generic rubber bleeder caps to try until my next Lotus order. The generic caps seem to fit fine for the time being.

With the BOE CAI, it probably took a whole 45 seconds to install it by blindly reaching in over the right rear fender arch (after removing engine cover). I didn't realize it before, but with a flashlight you can just make out the nipple by looking through the sail panel/vent panel mesh (although you can't look for the nipple and reach to fit the cap at the same time).

Anyway, MGB if you still need a cap, drop me a PM with your mailing info/address and I'll send you a couple...
Attached Images

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Garage
So is everyone bleeding the clutch slave cylinder from above? Or is it easier to hook up a catch bottle from below?

'14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
'02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
'01 M3 - Imola Red/Black (gone but not forgotten)
'08 RS4 - Imola Yellow/Black (gone but not forgotten)
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM

I still bleed it from underneath (with a catch bottle) since I have it on a lift with the wheels off to do the clutch and brakes. But, it certainly is doable from up above too. Either way, you have to put your hose on blindly.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
Either way, you have to put your hose on blindly.
I've been trying to collect the necessary pieces in order to make the slave bleeder a remotely-accessible part. I know I've seen kits like this for Porsches, but finding the right fitting sizes has so far been difficult for our cars.

I may end up having to order a slave cylinder just to have something to play with out of the car.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
I've been trying to collect the necessary pieces in order to make the slave bleeder a remotely-accessible part. I know I've seen kits like this for Porsches, but finding the right fitting sizes has so far been difficult for our cars.

I may end up having to order a slave cylinder just to have something to play with out of the car.
Funny you mention that. I was trying to source parts last night to make something up. Unfortunately, from what I've come up with, it looks like the bleeder threads are M7 X 1.0. But, all of the extensions I've found use AN fittings. I haven't found a M7 x 1.0 to AN adapter to make it work.

But, I didn't go crazy with my search. For the once a year bleed its not that horrible as is.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Funny you mention that. I was trying to source parts last night to make something up. Unfortunately, from what I've come up with, it looks like the bleeder threads are M7 X 1.0. But, all of the extensions I've found use AN fittings. I haven't found a M7 x 1.0 to AN adapter to make it work.

But, I didn't go crazy with my search. For the once a year bleed its not that horrible as is.
Crap, I've found -4AN tp M6 x 1.0 and -4AN to M8 x 1.0 but nothing for M7

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Crap, I've found -4AN tp M6 x 1.0 and -4AN to M8 x 1.0 but nothing for M7
M-7 is a rare thread. I have NO M-7 in all of my new hardware stock, where I have bags of 100 of every nut, washer, screw, etc.
I may be wrong, but my guess it is M-6 or M-8.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:53 PM

I didn't physically remove the clutch slave bleed valve and measure it. I saw that several people used the SB7100 Speed Bleeder as a replacement fitting. According to Speed Bleeder's website, the SB7100 is M7 X 1.0 .

https://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...tments-228449/

I guess I can order an OEM slave bleed valve next time I order from Lotus to verify the size/pitch.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post

I just went through this on my RX8. Found it on a website in Japan, but theyíre asking approx. $300 USD. Did some googling and found out they were marking it up 2x. Itís still a bit steep, but as you noted these M7x1.0 fittings basically donít exist. Here it is though if you want to buy one:

http://shop.auto-staff.net/shop/shop...S-VM-KIT&sort=

You have to select the size down at the bottom.

I put in a request with JapanParts about acquiring it for resale because Iím sure most people here arenít fluent in Japanese.

Last edited by TeamRX8; 08-13-2019 at 10:24 PM.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRX8 View Post
I just went through this on my RX8. Found it on a website in Japan, but theyíre asking approx. $300 USD. Did some googling and found out they were marking it up 2x. Itís still a bit steep, but as you noted these M7x1.0 fittings basically donít exist. Here it is though if you want to buy one:

??????????????????

I put in a request with JapanParts about acquiring it for resale because Iím sure most people here arenít fluent in Japanese.
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated if you do acquire some for resale as I have no idea what that webpage says
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRX8 View Post
I just went through this on my RX8. Found it on a website in Japan, but they’re asking approx. $300 USD. Did some googling and found out they were marking it up 2x. It’s still a bit steep, but as you noted these M7x1.0 fittings basically don’t exist. Here it is though if you want to buy one:

??????????????????

I put in a request with JapanParts about acquiring it for resale because I’m sure most people here aren’t fluent in Japanese.
Yikes. I think I can just scrape up my arm every time I need to bleed the slave cylinder for that price. But thanks for locating that part, and please do let us know if they are able/willing to sell the fittings separately, even if they're $50US that's still doable.

EDIT: Looking at that site further (using translate in Chrome) it appears they sell the M7 x 1.0 adapter for around $13USD? http://shop.auto-staff.net/shopdetail/000000000520/ Can you confirm I'm interpreting that correctly @TeamRX8

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in