The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Neighbor just got his Lotus Evora 650

8K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  HondaCRX 
#1 ·
#9 ·
Kudos to Chevrolet for entering the 21st century! Love'm or hate'm, you have to respect them now. I've said for years, prior to the C5, they were a joke. From the C5 Z06 forward, they have become an ever more credible track car. I will drive one someday....

Reactions: mattjk
#13 ·
In a race, gotta have the modern speed and faultlessness of an automatic , or even better a sequential.

For enjoying my life, a manual is ever entertaining. It’s all about driver involvement or you ought to be on another forum.

Reactions: PCM
#14 · (Edited)
If Evora had a PDK quality unit, or at least the faultless ZF 8 speed in my Alfa, RRS and 6 speed iteration in my GTS, I would own it. I can shift as well as anyone out there after a million or so DC -downshifts. I day in the wife's paddled Miata brought me up to speed on the future.

CRANK WINDOWS ARE PROBABLY ON MOST FOLKS LIST ALSO.....

#17 ·
Coming from a visually driven discipline, I just can’t get past it. I’m not entering any races. But I will be looking at my car every day. Maybe it looks better in the steel. But really it has all the hallmarks of every other cheap knockoff, whether fashion or art or automobile—which is to say, you see what the designer was referencing, but you can also see just how far short it falls in comparison to the original.

Reactions: Stormy320
#18 ·
I'm not fond of origami touches and the Corvette revels in them. I prefer flowing rather than folded lines but I think the Vette is eye catching enough, at least while it remains a novelty. The Civic Type R (a fine machine otherwise ) is ugly. The CTS is ugly. The Corvette is above that league.

BTW, the part I think is brilliant isn't the styling. It's the overall package.

But I understand why people who prefer a less folded appearance (the rear end!) also find it less pleasing to gaze upon.

#22 ·
The look is, as many have noted, very derivative of several other cars. That said, I think it is still an improvement and a move in the right direction for the Corvette. I actually think it looks pretty good overall. Amazing innovation for Chevy but as long as a manual transmission is available in cars like the Evora range, the Porsche GT3/4, I would never consider one. I need my manual as long as I can buy one!!

#23 · (Edited)
Some of us that drive at the limit don't need more involvement from our transmission. It actually distracts from the driving experience at hand. This is a VERY good reason why the old school manual is going especially in the most hardcore environment, the track. Another thing I have observed over the years is that many people that think they are good with a manual are actually pretty pathetic, but drive as such because they think it makes them look like a better driver, NOT!!!!

Things I have given up that I liked but accepted as the results of progress
flip phone
transistor radio
VHS, cassettes, 8 track, reel to reel, albums, tube amps, AR 3A's
3k oil changes and dino oil
bias ply tires
crank windows
straight skis
Real golf clubs with a wooden head (quit because of this one)
the princess phone or any phone with a wire
TV antennas
etc
etc
etc

Reactions: fzust
#30 ·
Of course, you know they blip shift motorcycles now.......

As someone that has yet to track his car, you will quickly learn that the shifting is very distracting when you are also learning the line, wide angle vision, hitting your marks with a few inches (every lap) etc. What we are trying to explain here is, we that track our cars and have mastered the true art of the rev matched, double clutch downshift to a point where we can easily outdo the soundtrack of the rev matching manuals out there. We teach our students and routinely watch them come into a day thinking they were "the man" at shifting, and invariably, this would be their undoing for a day. I , personally, know a few of our Lotus owners that have money shifted........SUCKS!!!!!
I love manuals...but, given the option, I hope the next gen Lotus gives us a 21st century, state of the art tranny!! I will be ready to accept it as progress..like giving up my V15Type MR....those of you that know what is is get it.

#31 ·
If it were not for the crazy down payment requirements asked for by my local dealerships I would have been in line to get one. A beautiful car, but i'm sure the market will be flooded with them after a year or two. Plus, year two for this model will for sure fix the issues year one will have.

I hear they're raising the price for base model +5k

#32 ·
There's a lot of good input in this thread. If I didn't explain it well enough, I'm not for a manual or automatic transmission. I'm for both, but that isn't always an option, especially in the dwindling manual-equipped car market (especially in the US).

I also appreciate the polite conversation with differing opinions, as sometimes these threads get out of line. Kudos to all for keeping it civil.

San

#35 · (Edited)
Never got into silver...Audioquest Topaz was my limit.

Thanks San....

#36 ·
I actually bought my Evora 400 because of the Corvette. I was originally planning on buying the new C8 Corvette and then when the reveal came out, and I saw the back-end I decided I was not a fan of the new look, Also did not care for the sharp lines all over the place.
I ended up deciding to get a different mid engine car, and decided on the Evora 400 as it had back seats on top of being pretty affordable, and being more exotic than a Chevy lel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.