Neighbor just got his Lotus Evora 650 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Neighbor just got his Lotus Evora 650

Attached Images

RBH, Julian73, nintense and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 07:35 AM

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 AM
Orange

Naaah that does not look right, more some kind of kit car

2011 Lotus Evora S Storm Titanium

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Donít be fooled. Itís probably just another Fiero with a body kit...
Varun916 likes this.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:32 AM

I'm going to assume ya'll are just making silly posts?

But just in case ya'll are serious...

https://www.motor1.com/news/368260/c...eed-run-video/
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:34 AM

:

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 10:55 AM

IMHO it more an affordable 430 than an Evora. I'll need to test drive one soon.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 11:51 AM
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyasu View Post
I'm going to assume ya'll are just making silly posts?

But just in case ya'll are serious...

https://www.motor1.com/news/368260/c...eed-run-video/
Despite all the explaining in this video, it still looks awful.

2011 Lotus Evora S Storm Titanium
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 12:37 PM

Kudos to Chevrolet for entering the 21st century! Love'm or hate'm, you have to respect them now. I've said for years, prior to the C5, they were a joke. From the C5 Z06 forward, they have become an ever more credible track car. I will drive one someday....
mattjk likes this.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:20 PM
MGB

Chevrolet is going into the 21st century backwards then, as they refuse to provide a proper transmission for a sports car. If it's not a manual you might as well be driving a Tesla, in my not-so-humble opinion on the matter.
XHILR8N!, PCM and Varun916 like this.

2011 NA Evora
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Chevrolet is going into the 21st century backwards then, as they refuse to provide a proper transmission for a sports car. If it's not a manual you might as well be driving a Tesla, in my not-so-humble opinion on the matter.
Ferrari and Lambo both stopped selling manual transmissions. Let's face it, modern day automatics are faster than you or I will ever be at shifting. But I agree, the manual is more of a driver experience.
mattjk likes this.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:26 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
That's a Rip Van Winkle type of statement. I like manual transmissions, but even modern motorcycles use a clutch mostly for first gear stop-and-go situations, as a blipper is faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzydee View Post
Ferrari and Lambo both stopped selling manual transmissions. Let's face it, modern day automatics are faster than you or I will ever be at shifting. But I agree, the manual is more of a driver experience.
You've obviously been awake for the last two decades. The trend away from manual transmissions will only continue to increase. Faster has always been something I want, and then I want more.

San
mattjk likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
In a race, gotta have the modern speed and faultlessness of an automatic , or even better a sequential.

For enjoying my life, a manual is ever entertaining. Itís all about driver involvement or you ought to be on another forum.
PCM likes this.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 05:06 AM

If Evora had a PDK quality unit, or at least the faultless ZF 8 speed in my Alfa, RRS and 6 speed iteration in my GTS, I would own it. I can shift as well as anyone out there after a million or so DC -downshifts. I day in the wife's paddled Miata brought me up to speed on the future.

CRANK WINDOWS ARE PROBABLY ON MOST FOLKS LIST ALSO.....

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 09-16-2019 at 06:52 AM.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 AM

Why would a Corvette be painted French racing blue?
post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Not my color but could be my car at some point. I think it's brilliant. Appearance is subjective. Performance is not.
We can make fun of them all we like but they are already sold out for the year.
mattjk likes this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Coming from a visually driven discipline, I just canít get past it. Iím not entering any races. But I will be looking at my car every day. Maybe it looks better in the steel. But really it has all the hallmarks of every other cheap knockoff, whether fashion or art or automobileówhich is to say, you see what the designer was referencing, but you can also see just how far short it falls in comparison to the original.
Stormy320 likes this.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Loves to talk

Garage
I'm not fond of origami touches and the Corvette revels in them. I prefer flowing rather than folded lines but I think the Vette is eye catching enough, at least while it remains a novelty. The Civic Type R (a fine machine otherwise ) is ugly. The CTS is ugly. The Corvette is above that league.

BTW, the part I think is brilliant isn't the styling. It's the overall package.

But I understand why people who prefer a less folded appearance (the rear end!) also find it less pleasing to gaze upon.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:35 PM
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzydee View Post
The enjoyment I get out of using a manual transmission overshadows the benefits of being a few tenths of a second faster at accelerating in a car that's already more powerful than necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan
The trend away from manual transmissions will only continue to increase. Faster has always been something I want, and then I want more.
I don't really get it. Gaining a few tenths of a second between gears but losing the pleasure of being more connected with the car 99% of the time? Even if it's a full second faster in 0-80. On a commute or a pleasure drive I probably shift a hundred times. The number of times where I push the car to its limits such that I'd notice fractional improvements in performance are very few and far between. I'd have to be on a track to really need it, or in a street race.

Don't people experience the pleasure of a well-matched downshift or the enjoyable challenge of braking, shifting, matching revs, and steering during a nice curve? You feel the car's power transferred exactly as you command it, in a way that requires more skill and finesse than letting a computer do it for you. If you screw it up it's on you--do better next time, the car says.

Throwing away your manual transmission? Hell, why not drive a Tesla at that point?
XHILR8N!, PCM, Varun916 and 1 others like this.

2011 NA Evora
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:02 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
The enjoyment I get out of using a manual transmission overshadows the benefits of being a few tenths of a second faster at accelerating in a car that's already more powerful than necessary.
Both of us (Rizzydee and myself) said we enjoy manual transmissions. That said, if there's a performance car that I'm interested in, and it doesn't have the option of a manual transmission, I personally don't exclude it from consideration. If that's a line in the sand you've drawn, I think everyone here supports your right to do so, but won't necessarily do the same.

I bought a GT-R two years ago. It's an automatic with paddle shifters. It's heavy for a sports car (or whatever you'd care to classify it as). It's sort of a normal car if you want it to be, with a nice interior and easy ingress/egress. It can also be very fast if needed, especially if you push a few buttons. It violates two of my normal preferences, a manual transmission and light weight. Despite that it's a great car. 565HP stock, titanium exhaust, AWD, forged Rays wheels, hand-built twin turbo V6, huge Brembo brakes, customized gauges, blah, blah.

My previous vehicle was a C7, with a 7-speed manual. The 8-speed automatic is faster, but I chose the 7-speed as it wasn't problematic with regards to overheating, usually under extreme conditions (canyons/track). It had the rev-matching feature, which you could disable. GM stated the 7-speed manual was the only transmission that was deemed track capable. If the automatic didn't have issues, I would have considered it.

I have a Tacoma (automatic), GT-R (automatic), Exige S (manual) and 3 motorcycles. The motorcycles have blippers from the factory, so the clutch is only needed for starting and shifting into neutral.

Quote:
I don't really get it. Gaining a few tenths of a second between gears but losing the pleasure of being more connected with the car 99% of the time? Even if it's a full second faster in 0-80. On a commute or a pleasure drive I probably shift a hundred times. The number of times where I push the car to its limits such that I'd notice fractional improvements in performance are very few and far between. I'd have to be on a track to really need it, or in a street race.

Don't people experience the pleasure of a well-matched downshift or the enjoyable challenge of braking, shifting, matching revs, and steering during a nice curve? You feel the car's power transferred exactly as you command it, in a way that requires more skill and finesse than letting a computer do it for you. If you screw it up it's on you--do better next time, the car says.

Throwing away your manual transmission? Hell, why not drive a Tesla at that point?
A manual can be very pleasing, but there are times when it's not. Stop and go traffic, where you're literally only ever reaching 5-15mph before braking for an hour or two isn't fun. There are also times when a manual isn't an option.

I was working late on my birthday to meet a deadline. I came home and was returning calls to well-wishers. Slipped on a step taking the dog out and tore my left quadricep. I was able to get to work the next day in my Tacoma. Even when I had the left leg in an immobilizer cast I was able to commute to work. It took a couple of months before I could safely drive a manual transmission.

Throwing away a manual transmission isn't really applicable, as we're simply talking about considering vehicles that aren't available with manual transmissions. It doesn't relegate us to a Tesla either. There are plenty of high-end cars that are only available with an automatic.

Demand for manual transmissions has been waning for a long time in the US. The links below are from 2018, but the trend towards automatics continues. Less than 3%, closer to 2% of cars sold in the US have manual transmissions.

https://www.carmax.com/articles/stick-shift-index

http://www.chicagotribune.com/autos/...710-story.html

I learned to drive a manual on the farm, when I was big enough to reach the pedals of a tractor. Most of America's youth don't possess the skill of driving a manual, nor the desire. It is what it is. I think when/if I sell my Exige S it will be because I have to, probably because I physically can't drive it, or some unforeseen situation presents itself.

San
mattjk and exigegus like this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in