The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

New "used" Evora

4K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  pharriso 
#1 ·
So there are leftover 17s with the warranties punched. There is one I'm interested in but it only has 7 months of warranty left. The price is good - but not what I consider great even if the car has 70 miles on it due to the warranty situation.

So to those of you with 400s would you buy one with such little warranty left?

I'm really hesitant as I bought both the Elise and Evora new (they were also leftovers) but they had full warranties. They had small issues that were worked out over a year or so - most popped up from usage. In 7 months I just don't see myself putting that many miles on this 400 to work out any issues that will pop up from use and I don't want to have to pay for major repairs out of pocket which could quickly negate any savings. It is also an early build 400 which also adds to my concern of it having some issues. If it had 18 months or so left on it then I would be less worried. The car is heavily discounted but IMO isn't low enough considering I'm seeing 18s with say 1500 miles and 18 months warranty left for less. Any thoughts are appreciated!

#2 ·
Well, I did just 2 months ago... similarly have maybe 5 mo left now. Depending on options you should pay low to 70's to max 75k.

Is it at Reading or in NJ? If one of the NJ ones, it's likely where I bought. I'm just a few miles away if you want another eye.

I have driven locally and one two hour trip. I took it back for a pressure sensor reset, but other wise no issues.

#7 ·
It's in Princeton. My only concern would be the niggles that come out from driving.

Buy it and drive it a lot to work out any issues then it will be just like the rest of these reliable vehicles.
At least take it on one good long trip, say 500 -1000 miles.
The roadtrip might be an option.....

Why don't you buy the '18 then?
Good question - the one I was looking at sold but I'm leaning toward one with a coarbon pack.

I think I'm going to hold off as I've been driving the S quite a bit recently and the upgrade isn't really worth the outlay and since guppycaptain keeps sending me pics of his GT really has me wanting one of them now......

#3 ·
Buy it and drive it a lot to work out any issues then it will be just like the rest of these reliable vehicles.
At least take it on one good long trip, say 500 -1000 miles.

#6 ·
I've searched high and low... no extended warranties available for the Evora 400... from anyone.

I got about $30k off sticker with 1200 miles on it... the salesman said the Finance guy could get me an extended warranty... never trust sales guys until its on paper... no offense to any sales guys here... 0:)

#9 ·
The standard warranty is 3 years/36,000 miles. Lotus' scheme for punching the warranty is a bit obscure to me but if the car was previously registered, obviously the warranty was punched. If not I guess "It depends." I would negotiate with the dealer if the car is unregistered but the warranty was already punched. I suspect there may be some wiggle room depending on circumstance, but to repeat, why some "demos" have a full warranty and some don't seems opaque to me.

#11 ·
The 2017 I bought last year was listed on Cars(dot)com. The salesman listed the car in the mid-$70s as if it was punched. We negotiated a bit and worked out shipping. At the end I asked him to confirm the warranty length and was surprised to find out it was not punched. I tried to get him to throw in something else for free and he said since the warranty was new he would list it in the $80s if I didn’t want it. It was delivered to the house a week later.

Ask them to confirm with Lotus after agreeing to the price but before signing.

#12 ·
I've seen a few 2018 that have just now started their warranties after the June incentive Lotus offered expired on the 30th. What would be a good price to get the 2018's for? Seems like most are at the 87-89k range which is basically just the rebate discount.

#13 ·
If car does not sell, I believe Lotus USA has the option of beginning the warranty as they deem. They allow the dealer an amount of time to sell, and if doesn't, at some point they require the warranty to start; do not know of the finances that occur between dealer and seller when this happens.......

#15 ·
I would buy it. My only issue has been the seat tuck. I bought mine used with 1200mi. Previous owner bought it while waiting for their McLaren. I've had it a year and now have 13,000mi on the car. I think I have a little over a year left on warranty, but I'm honestly not too concerned with it...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have exactly a year left on mine. I took delivery on July 15, 2017. I have 11,000 on it now. I have had my share of ankle biters but I'm not concerned about keeping it outside of warranty. Routine service is quite reasonable and I think I'm pretty much over the teething issues. I share your view and plan to keep mine for the foreseeable future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.