Is this normal for a headlamp washer unit? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Is this normal for a headlamp washer unit?

I received a replacement headlamp washer unit, but I noticed that the top portion will easily pull out. When under pressure (tested with an air compressor) it rises properly, but will also pop out. On my old unit the top could be withdrawn by hand and was clearly attached to the underlying mechanism.

The photo hopefully makes it a lot clearer what I'm talking about:

2011 NA Evora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Garage
What pressure was your air compressor set to?

If it was at the standard 90-120PSI, I could see it launching the squirter across your garage.

The washer pump pressure will be much much lower than what the air compressor can do.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Ha, definitely not 90 PSI. I only turned it up until I saw any movement at all, which was probably 10-20 PSI. It also came out the same way before the test. You can pull it out with just a few pounds of force with your fingers, but the old one is firmly fixed.

I first did a bench test with a spare Lotus headlamp washer pump I had, but I don't think my benchtop supply was powerful enough to pump it. Anyone know what voltage it's supposed to run at? I only did 12V, and my supply can only do 1A. The circuit diagram actually lists something like "IGN + 15" but I'm not sure if that actually means 12V + 15V, and I didn't want to fry anything even if I could get a PSU that did 27V at whatever amperage required.

It's a bit of a moot point anyway, as I realized one of the nubs on the top is broken off, so it wouldn't even be able to clip into the headlamp unit washer cover.

2011 NA Evora

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
The headlamp and windshield wiper motors are on the same fuse, and that fuse is 15amps. I doubt it is anywhere close to that amperage for just one of the motors, assuming it's 50%, that'd be a max of 7.5amps for start up current. Once it's running, it will be a lower amperage draw. You could hook your meter in line with that pump and see what amperage it is drawing. Either way it's moot since your clip is broken, but it would be fun to see if the top shoots out of the housing!

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Even at 7.5 amps that's way more than my current benchtop supply can provide, so that'd explain why nothing dramatic happened with the motor running. Once I have the wheel and liner off I can do testing in situ, though I lack the proper connectors for the wiring harness. I had to use some spade connectors that were difficult to keep in place.

I have no doubt that enough air pressure would blow that top off. It would be amusing!

2011 NA Evora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in