• 1 Post By phenoyz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
P0106 Code

Hello

Does anybody know what code is this:
P0106

it says: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure/Circuit Range Performance

What does it mean?

Thanks
8Bit Gary likes this.

2014 Evora (NA) / MT / 2-0
BOE Chargecooler Series (FUTURE)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:57 PM

Garage
It's likely the MAF, or one of the intake hoses near the MAF. Maybe a dirty throttle body. Or it could be your intake manifold. But something intake-related. I don't think our cars have a MAP sensor though.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:19 PM

I caught that code myself. When I inspected I noticed that the wrench-monkeys at the exhaust shop didn't use locking bolts on the exhaust flange. When I repaired the effectively HUGE hole in the exhaust, pre-02 sensor, the code cleared and hasn't come back.

Hopefully the resulting rich condition didn't cause any oil washing/cylinder damage but time will tell!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 AM

It means this which is directly out of Lotus Service notes
Description The barometric pressure sensor is located internally within the ECU, and measures atmospheric pressure. This parameter is required to compensate the mass air flow when the vehicle is operated at higher altitudes.

Are there other codes also with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:27 AM

This is an Elise, not Evora, sorry wrong group, but it was the only P0106 discussion.

Yes, I'm aware of the code pull. The option was to replace the ECU, if it was indeed a bad internal pressure sensor. Sometimes this can be due to an ECU breather clog. Luckily this exhaust fix sorted it... somehow.

Computers can get confused I suppose, especially paired with the initial P0420 and then subsequent P0139 (the O2 simulator doesn't work with electric-control throttle in 2006+), in tandem with the exhaust leak causing rich condition.

Another note, on my lotus, the Vacuum Switching Valve was hanging, loose, wires taut against intake tube. It may be related, but doesn't seem to be, considering I left the electric unplugged and no code after a session of hard driving. Perhaps having the vent smack around under the car could have caused a computer-confused condition.

Nevertheless, the exhaust repair, so far at least, has resolved the code.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Garage
If you think about the question a different way, it becomes clearer why the ECU might blame a defective internal baro sensor for an exhaust leak.

Try this on for sizes: If there is no MAP sensor (which there isn't), then there's no redundant source of pressure data to compare the baro sensor against (assume a non-running car and you should get pretty much the same value from a MAP sensor as a baro sensor).

So how do you tell if the baro sensor is bad? If you're getting 'impossible' mixture numbers from your LTFT calculation, but the EGO sensor seems to be OK (can force transitions with fueling changes) and you don't get misfire (easy to detect with crank pulsation, easy to induce with too-lean mixture), your TPS number is valid (and on a DBW car is easily tested), then you're probably looking at something goofy like a misunderstanding of the current baro conditions.

Add in that a lot of the code in the T4 series ECUs seems to have been reused from earlier Lotus fueling strategies, and you can get all kinds of oddities in code reporting. I know Obeisance found 'calculated MAP' at one place in either the fueling or ignition code because it was apparently easier to fake a MAP value than rewrite that piece of code to work with the measured variables they actually had available with the 2ZZ-GE.

It's a bit of a dog's breakfast really, so it's not surprising to me when these cars have quirky behaviors.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:51 PM

Your thinking expands out and logic's up my intuition. Very good analysis steelypip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in