Please help air bag light is on - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tye-bo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Please help air bag light is on

I just bought a evora and love the car but the air bag light is on , what do I do ? Is there a reset what do I need ? Where do I get parts I live in Ottawa Canada and no lotus dealer pls help ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:45 AM

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum. Lots of threads about the airbag light. But, this one should help...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...er-use-465514/

Also note the following:

1. Airbags may or may not deploy when airbag light is on (luckily no one has proven this either way).

2. Most common reason for airbag light is low voltage from dead or dying battery. However, as there could be an actual fault in the system, other potential causes should be ruled out.

3. Airbag light can be avoided when replacing the battery by waiting at least 30 minutes after removing the key from ignition before disconnecting the battery, thus allowing all of the systems to shut down correctly.

Good luck
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:29 AM
Parts Finder

Garage
Congrats on your purchase. I’m not sure about Lotus but most SRS can be read by higher end scan tool at your local repair shop. Refer them to the thread the other member gave you. Once you find out the issue stored in the STS module let me know. I’ve done a lot of SRS work on salvage cars and may be able to help.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:48 AM

Do you need to spend over a $100 for a scanner? Wont a $20 Bluetooth one read and clear codes? I did spend a few hundred on a vagcom for my Audi's since that allowed me to also change many settings on my car but found for reading and clearing codes and also monitoring many functions I just us this

. Also I like using it now in my Lotus since it allows me to see many things like coolant temp

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
Do you need to spend over a $100 for a scanner? Wont a $20 Bluetooth one read and clear codes? I did spend a few hundred on a vagcom for my Audi's since that allowed me to also change many settings on my car but found for reading and clearing codes and also monitoring many functions I just us this. Also I like using it now in my Lotus since it allows me to see many things like coolant
temp
I think the issue with the S1/2 Evora is that the SRS system is from a vehicle that we don't have in the US. Since Lotus used a parts bin SRS ECU, most US based generic readers won't talk to it. The specific one that was listed is pricey, but is known to work both reading and clearing codes. Not to say the one you listed won't work, I just don't know if anyone has tried it.
Redsled likes this.

Current:
2018 Evora 400 Metallic Black Manual
1998 Volvo V90 silver L59/4L60 swapped
1970 Honda CT70 Red

Sold:
2017 Audi R8 Silver V10/DCT
2010 Evora Carbon Grey Manual
12 others...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Garage
There are many that have tried generic OBD2 adapters and none of them (so far) will reset the airbag light on the S1s.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Parts Finder

Garage
SRS crash code can only be eased by one of the online companies that reprogram them. Don’t know if any scan tool that will reset crash code. My experience with none Lotus cars is once problem is fixed (missing air bag, bad belt tensioner, wet wiring, broken wire) the module will turn light of on its own. System does a pass/fail test every time the car is started.

Past favorites

99 Esprit
02 Eurovan Weekender
62 Falcon 450hp under 2000lbs
(My first power to weight car)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:20 PM

I had a similar issue to this recently after dropping my car off to get the sound system upgraded. It sat there for about a week and when I went to pick it up, the airbag light was on. I took it directly to the Lotus dealership. They read the code and said it was a "low voltage" reading. Probably due to the car sitting without a battery tender and not being turned on. The cleared the code 5 weeks ago and it has not come back since.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 AM

My Evora went in twice last year to have the airbag warning light diagnosed. The garage could see via OBD that the fault was on the passenger's side.

They eventually found that the cable connection under the passenger seat was loose. Disconnected the cable and plug back in. Since then, no issues. This is probably something you can check yourself, but I guess you would have to unbolt the seats to check properly.

...hope this may help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in