Rear subwoofers not working - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Rear subwoofers not working

When I set the fader on my head unit (Alpine IVA-W505) all the way rear-words I don't hear any audio. This is a fairly recent development, in the last few months.

I checked the fuse to the amp (R17, 20A, rear fusebox) but it wasn't blown. I suppose this still leaves these possibilities:

* The head unit

* The amp

* The wiring/connectors

I've never liked my head unit, as it took the dealer three months to repair the GPS and it only worked once after that, so I'm secretly hoping that's the problem and it's time for an upgrade. But the list of things I have to fix is still long: left door microswitch, right door interior handle adjustment, replace AC condenser + drier and put a finer mesh behind the grill, headlight adjustment, reconnect/fix the glovebox dampener.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose this? Can the amp be tested in situ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:44 PM

There is also a fuse mounted on the PDA T200 amp that you can check.
Attached Images

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Thanks, I didn't know about that one. I'd like to check that fuse, but a quick look in my backseat gives me the impression that I'll have to remove the rear interior to get to it. Is that true? Can any of the steps be skipped for removing the interior just to check it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:01 PM

Yes, pretty much the whole rear interior has to come out. Its not that difficult (mine is a 2+0), just a pain since its a cramped area and somewhat time consuming.

Here's a couple threads with info how to get to it.....

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/5907072-post17.html
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...55/index2.html
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Thanks, I'll bookmark them. I'll probably address it after I do my passenger door latch adjustment.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:08 PM

Garage
Unfortunately, no, thereís no way to check on the status of the amp or the amp mounted fuse without full commitment. My sub wasnít sounding like it was working a few weeks ago and I ended up taking out the back seat. Itís not that bad to do, just takes a while, especially if itís your first time. You can see just how much needs to be removed to find the amp in my before and after photos below. Once you get it apart, thereís an LED on the top of the amp that should glow green when the amp should be working. It will switch to blinking red if itís in some sort of protection mode and just be off if the amp has no power or a blown fuse.

I say if you donít like your head unit, replace it for that fact alone. I just finished installing my new head unit yesterday and I performed the install myself. Keep in mind, I know next to nothing about electronics and I got the head unit swapped without any issues. For reference, my car had the Pioneer AVIC-X940BT and I now have the Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX. I swapped because the sound quality was junk when playing audio through an iPod and now my new head unit has wireless Apple CarPlay.

Check your amp for the status light, but swap the head unit either way. Youíll be happy you did.
Attached Images

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
MGB

I actually love the sound quality of my Alpine's head unit, but I'd like one with an aux input and GPS (though I've gotten used to using my phone by now). I also wouldn't want to sacrifice my backup camera, of course, and would need to look into how hard it is to wire into the existing camera, GPS antenna, and car antenna.

How hard was it to swap head units and deal with those sorts of features? How much of the interior did you have to remove?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
I actually love the sound quality of my Alpine's head unit, but I'd like one with an aux input and GPS (though I've gotten used to using my phone by now). I also wouldn't want to sacrifice my backup camera, of course, and would need to look into how hard it is to wire into the existing camera, GPS antenna, and car antenna.

How hard was it to swap head units and deal with those sorts of features? How much of the interior did you have to remove?
The microphone is a standard plug so you don’t need to change that. The GPS puck is buried somewhere in the front of the car, but it has a standard plug that should work with other head units (from my understanding at least). I installed the new GPS sensor that came with the new HU just to make sure it worked well with the new unit and I put the puck behind the binnacle as the rounded leather piece is only velcroed on and there’s a good spot to mount the puck. The radio antenna wire is standard and works with every HU known to man. Back up camera is a standard RCA connection and will plug into any new HU.

I went from a Pioneer to Pioneer, which made things a little cleaner. While the wire harness plugs didn’t unplug from one and plug into the other, I was able to unpin the plug from the old and plug the wires into the new plug. I actually changed HUs without cutting a single wire. The biggest problem was finding the wire pin out of the old head unit wire harness since Lotus decided to use non-standard wire colors on the harness. Once the colors were solved after chatting with Crutchfield, the rest was, dare I say, easy.

The only thing I had to remove was the surround around the HU and the binnacle cover.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
MGB

I'd say that that doesn't sound too hard, but every time I say that it just jinxes me, so I won't.

I'm currently wondering if I should replace the clutch master cylinder when I have the front clamshell off, when and if I do the AC condenser and drier. I heard they go bad, though I should have one replaced under warranty in 2014 or so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in