Shopping an '11 Evora S. Questions... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Scott M

Shopping an '11 Evora S. Questions...

I had an opportunity to check out a high mileage 2011 Evora S today. Hoping you all can offer some insight on my experience behind the wheel. I know online diagnoses are rather tough, but I may have missed something in my research on typical issues...

1) Sloppy/vague shifts. Is this likely the shift cable "problem" of early 6 speeds? I'd figure it was user error but my ability to engage 1st and 2nd was probably the most challenging of any manual car I've ever driven ( 50+ cars over the years).
2) Soft or compliant handling. Perhaps it was as responsive as my Esprit. Does it simply need new dampers? I would have expected a more taught feel.
3) Fairly steady hiss seemingly from the LF. Owner says it's been like that for years (since buying it used). Hard to tell if it was speed-dependant, though the supercharger wine would drown it out when on heavy throttle.
4) HVAC Control knob stopped working along with the audio display screen. Anyone else had that problem? If so, how was it solved?

Thanks!

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:48 AM

How many miles are we talking about here?

My 2011 Evora has one of the nicest rides I've ever owned: composed over bumps, minimal roll with direction changes.

No noises from the front of my car, could you track it down while parked?

HVAC knob: the vent selector knob? Does it turn?

Audio: if it's the stock Alpine consider it a good thing. Ding them on the price and throw it out, any double DIN will fit and allow you to get something much more functional.

Unrelated: make sure AC works, the condenser is a weak link. Airbag cover lifting? Clutch pedal feel good and come all the way up?
Europa TC likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

71k miles.
Air bag cover is quite warped. Dash on the passenger side is also coming up at the far right edge.
Clutch operation seems fine. Didn't notice any issues with the peddle or its engagement. Apparently the clutch was replaced around 10k miles & 4 years ago.
I believe it's the OE head unit, but don't really know. It plays music, but screen is 100% white.
The vent knob turns, but the air flow is essentially stuck on defog.
The AC doesn't really cool. It may have been slightly cooler than outside air, but basically non-functional.

Couldn't assess the mystery noise while parked. Weird part was it was only noticable while driving, but didn't seem to vary based on speed.

It has other issues as well, but at $33k the price actually seemed fair.

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M

Last edited by Molez93; 08-01-2019 at 08:09 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Unless you are getting an insane deal on this car and are willing to pump a significant portion of the “saved” cash into repairs, I’d pass on it. The dash repair alone is thousands if you care to do it. Diagnosing and repairing all the other items will also add up to a significant number. There must be better cars out there. Most Lotus owners tend to their cars and don’t let them deteriorate that severely.
XHILR8N! likes this.

2017 Lotus Evora 400 (6-speed) Yellow on Black

2014 Lotus Evora S 2+2 (6-speed) Verde Ithaca paint with Ebony Black/Red piping interior {Sold}

2010 Lotus Evora, White with Paprika interior, (6-speed){Traded-in}
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:49 AM

I would pass on this car if I were you.

I was in the market for a 11 about 2.5 years ago and then ended up pulling the trigger on a 14 S with one year of warranty left on it. THe best decision I made. I went WAY over my budget but I'm way happier int he end. I have a really well sorted 14 S which drives like a dream and has no issues. (knock on wood)

From my experience, add about $15k to your highest price and look in that range. I also daily drive my Evora everywhere.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByJoveByJingle View Post
Unless you are getting an insane deal on this car and are willing to pump a significant portion of the “saved” cash into repairs, I’d pass on it. The dash repair alone is thousands if you care to do it. Diagnosing and repairing all the other items will also add up to a significant number. There must be better cars out there. Most Lotus owners tend to their cars and don’t let them deteriorate that severely.
Understood... completely.
I looked at it hoping it would be a better example than it is. Based on the first things I mentioned, I wanted to take the opportunity to increase my knowledge and see if what I observed was weird, common, or something in between. I already told the owner I'm generally inclined to go with a clean car with few if any problems for a higher price.

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post
I would pass on this car if I were you.

From my experience, add about $15k to your highest price and look in that range. I also daily drive my Evora everywhere.
Had those thoughts too. My "highest price" was probably $55k. If I add that $15k, I'm probably within a year of depreciation from being in the market for a 400 instead of an S. ;-)

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:10 AM

I wouldn't buy that for $33k, it needs to be a bargain to go with such high miles as it won't be easy to move when you're done with it. AC is failed, that clam off repair. The vent selector is under the dash, which may as well come apart to deal with the airbag cover and radio. All of this is DIY if you're comfortable and motivated, many replacement parts are few and far between.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 AM

1) Sloppy/vague shifts. Is this likely the shift cable "problem" of early 6 speeds? I'd figure it was user error but my ability to engage 1st and 2nd was probably the most challenging of any manual car I've ever driven ( 50+ cars over the years).
a. This was the same on mine, had dealer replace trans cables under warranty with the updated ones and it was a night and day difference.

2) Soft or compliant handling. Perhaps it was as responsive as my Esprit. Does it simply need new dampers? I would have expected a more taught feel.
a. I feel mine handles fine and offered a somewhat tamer demeanor than my Elise. Still handles great IMO although a much softer ride…even Jeremy Clarkson in his review mentioned how much “softer” the Evora is and called it a sofa while he spun off track into a field of buttercups. ��

3) Fairly steady hiss seemingly from the LF. Owner says it's been like that for years (since buying it used). Hard to tell if it was speed-dependant, though the supercharger wine would drown it out when on heavy throttle.
a. Are you sure that you aren’t just hearing the intake? Mine makes a very audible hissing sound while accelerating ( I do have a BOE intake which is even louder) but eventually gets drowned out.

4) HVAC Control knob stopped working along with the audio display screen. Anyone else had that problem? If so, how was it solved?
a. I have not had this problem. I have had my A/C condenser and compressor fixed/replaced on the car under warranty. It is again broken….a year later go figure, right in time for our Seattle hotter months.

Just to repair the warped airbag cover, it is $500 for the piece alone and took me 7 months to procure from Lotus. It is also a bear of a job as the ENTIRE dash has to be removed to access the nuts to unfasten it. This car to me sounds like a very hard pass!
Molez93 likes this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

^ Great info. Thanks!

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:11 AM

Seems entirely plausible that hissing noise is related to the fact the HVAC controls don't work. As others have said, unless you're after a long-term project, walk on that one.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Had those thoughts too. My "highest price" was probably $55k. If I add that $15k, I'm probably within a year of depreciation from being in the market for a 400 instead of an S. ;-)
you should be able to get a '14 S for 55

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:41 PM

Even another $10k would probably get you a better example of the same year. Maybe not an S

2011 Aspen White Evora N/A
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
AC is failed, that clam off repair. ... All of this is DIY if you're comfortable and motivated, many replacement parts are few and far between.
I agree with Snowphun that all of this is DIY-able, though in addition to being comfortable and motivated you also need to be capable... and with all due respect to the OP, it sounds like diagnosing/repairing some of these things might be beyond your technical ability. Paying someone to tinker with your Evora gets very expensive very quickly, so if you're in the position of looking to a dealer or quality independent tech shop to do the work, then this is probably not the car for you.

That said, I think folks are being much too hard on this one. Apart from the fan speed knob, nothing here is too mysterious or difficult. Good price for someone who knows how to work a wrench IMO.

Just for the record, the AC fix is definitely not a clam-off job. Neither a broken compressor nor a cracked condenser requires clam removal... and anyway I would bet this one just needs a recharge.

Two cents for you.
JPSEsprit044 likes this.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Just for the record, the AC fix is definitely not a clam-off job. Neither a broken compressor nor a cracked condenser requires clam removal... and anyway I would bet this one just needs a recharge.
I need to tackle my leaky condenser this fall, my understanding it technically it can be done with just bumper off, but every procedure I've seen has done it with clam off. I'd much rather just remove the bumper, have you done it this way?
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

Fair assessment by West-of-hethel. Diagnostics would be my primary hurdle, but I can tackle known DIY stuff. I'd take on a select few, but have no interest in a long term project.

I didn't even get into the brakes, tires, and strange paint fading as those were straight forward issues with obvious solutions- replace, replace, respray.

Obviously people's replies mostly offered recommendations to look elsewhere, and that is totally cool. The other insights are where I truly found value: detailed guesses and estimates for what's going on with this example. I'll keep that in my back pocket when I have the next opportunity to check out another one.

Thanks again to all!

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowphun View Post
I need to tackle my leaky condenser this fall, my understanding it technically it can be done with just bumper off, but every procedure I've seen has done it with clam off. I'd much rather just remove the bumper, have you done it this way?
Yep, see this thread. Removing the clamshell panel gives better access to the condensor connector, but you can do it by touch.

Taking the clam off once you've already removed bumpers and headlights is easy, but aligning it on reinstallation can be a pain, especially if you're working solo. That's why I try to avoid removing the clamshell (or indeed any bodywork) if at all possible.
Snowphun likes this.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:57 AM

I have a nearly perfectly sorted 2011 with half the miles that one has. I think 33K for that car with the problems you mentioned is too aggressive. As others have said, to bring it back to close to original condition expect to spend $8 - $10K. Then if you wished to sell it, you’re at a break even at best. I think the seller needs to drop the price significantly for you to consider it.
Europa TC likes this.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post
you should be able to get a '14 S for 55

I'm sure the OP could possibly get this for around 55k

https://www.huntingridgemotors.com/v...orsport-green/

00' S1 Exige
17' Jaguar F-Type R
94' S4 Esprit (SOLD)
14' Evora S (SOLD)
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Scott M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelr View Post
I'm sure the OP could possibly get this for around 55k

https://www.huntingridgemotors.com/v...orsport-green/
That page has been bookmarked since you traded in/sold. Your old car is one of two or three recently posted on LT which got me off my arse to list my Focus RS for sale. Need to clear out room and free-up cash flow. Planning to email Mark shortly about his interest or valuation of that RS. Thanks for the tip regardless! :-)

'03 Esprit (for sale)
'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in