Sourcing door latch microswitch - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Sourcing door latch microswitch

I recently had my Evora shipped. Despite it being a closed carrier, the trauma of shipping made her very unhappy. Frost got into the trunk and doors, leading to the door lock mechanism jamming on the passenger's side, the keyfob lock/unlock buttons not working, and a problem with the door sensor. At the moment there's only one lingering issue: the car thinks the driver's side door is open unless I physically push the door closed and hold it there. I tried adjusting the door latch on the car body to engage earlier, but with no luck. I managed to wedge the latch closed for now and I opened the trunk, in case the switch re-opens and the battery dies.

Apparently this is a common problem with the microswitch in the door latch assembly. Does anyone know where I can find this part? I found two threads about the problem: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...77/index2.html

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...ocedue-350546/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 AM

It's odd that frost/cold caused that, and that it still works when you hold the door closed. Did you adjust both the latch striker on the body and the door latch mechanism in the door? Does the door look closed properly to you/body lines are all flush the way they should be?
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
It's odd that frost/cold caused that, and that it still works when you hold the door closed. Did you adjust both the latch striker on the body and the door latch mechanism in the door? Does the door look closed properly to you/body lines are all flush the way they should be?
I didn't try adjusting the latch mechanism on the door, I could try that. The body lines look correct when the body-latch is in its normal position, but if I try to move it more outside, the body lines look prominent, and the door sticks out a bit.

From the feel of it, it's a few mm away from compressing the switch.

My theory was it was on its way out and the frost made some things move around internally, changing the tolerances for the plunger that depresses the switch

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:21 AM

So, I'm not sure why transport would do that, but if the door is slightly proud, besides the two latch adjustment points, you also can adjust the door at the hinge side. In a game of mm, it doesn't take much of a shift in any of these to cause the problem.

My understanding on the microswitch was typically when it fails the door just always indicates it's open, regardless of what you do to it (electrical failure) - but to my knowledge the only way to fix that is replacing the entire latch mechanism, as it's a sealed unit.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
So, I'm not sure why transport would do that, but if the door is slightly proud, besides the two latch adjustment points, you also can adjust the door at the hinge side. In a game of mm, it doesn't take much of a shift in any of these to cause the problem.

My understanding on the microswitch was typically when it fails the door just always indicates it's open, regardless of what you do to it (electrical failure) - but to my knowledge the only way to fix that is replacing the entire latch mechanism, as it's a sealed unit.
I can try adjusting the door latch and body latches in tandem, trying to keep it both flush and closed far enough to trigger the switch. It feels to me like if I could just put a 2mm spacer in there the switch would be depressed when the door is latched. Hopefully nothing is necessary at the hinge side.

Worst case, is it possible to buy just the switch without buying the entire latch assembly? ($150-200)

I also have to disassemble the passenger's side door and adjust the handle, because you have to pull it to the very limit of its travel to get that door to open, which freaks out my passengers.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 06:59 AM

Have you tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into the switch?

Maybe some water got in, and caused a little corrosion which is causing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakham View Post
Have you tried spraying electrical contact cleaner into the switch?

Maybe some water got in, and caused a little corrosion which is causing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did yeah, and put a dab of white grease on the latch itself. No change so far, but it's been sitting for a day in my warm(ish) garage. I'll try again later and see.

On an unrelated note, I went to a car wash and water got into my trunk lid, again. I was dumb and forgot about that. Is there a good way to get it to slosh out? I can hear it when I open the lid.
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
On an unrelated note, I went to a car wash and water got into my trunk lid, again. I was dumb and forgot about that. Is there a good way to get it to slosh out? I can hear it when I open the lid.
See the Lotus service notes in the sticky and get your drill ready.

Re the door microswitch, I'll raise my hand to vote against adjusting the door. Even if you got that switch to work for a little while (which I doubt), it's on its way out. Save time and heartache and replace it now, and leave the door where God and Colin intended.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
See the Lotus service notes in the sticky and get your drill ready.

Re the door microswitch, I'll raise my hand to vote against adjusting the door. Even if you got that switch to work for a little while (which I doubt), it's on its way out. Save time and heartache and replace it now, and leave the door where God and Colin intended.
I'm not against replacing it, but where do I buy it?
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
You have to order the entire latch assembly, as the microswitch is not a separate part #. And based on the other threads here, there's quite a back-order for those latches.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM

Garage
You might try WD40 instead of grease, at least that's what worked for me earlier today when mine stared acting up...
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not against replacing it, but where do I buy it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
You have to order the entire latch assembly, as the microswitch is not a separate part #. And based on the other threads here, there's quite a back-order for those latches.
I'd say call a dealer and see if they can get the door latch for you.

And if they can't -- if it is indeed (still) on backorder -- go looking for a used one. You'll have to pick up the phone; you won't see these on Ebay I suspect.

And if that doesn't work, you can always just get into the door and disconnect the wire that goes to the door ajar switch. That gives you time to look for a replacement.

Finally, if that doesn't work for you, then pull the door latch, get it on your bench, and start working on the homebrew switch repair project. Naturally, the drawback here is that your car will be unusable until you are able to figure that out. Unless you are an experienced fabricator, this should be your absolute last resort.

Just my $0.02. Anyway, first call should be to the dealer.

If you do decide to go for the last resort option, I've often thought that it would be easier in the long run to wire in a simple contact switch that would rest against the jamb when closed, that is, to bypass the latch switch entirely. If I ever get around to fixing my passenger side door (which fortunately failed permanently-closed rather than permanently-open), this is the approach I will take -- cheap and relatively easy, and permanent.
brgelise likes this.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
I'd say call a dealer and see if they can get the door latch for you.

And if they can't -- if it is indeed (still) on backorder -- go looking for a used one. You'll have to pick up the phone; you won't see these on Ebay I suspect.

And if that doesn't work, you can always just get into the door and disconnect the wire that goes to the door ajar switch. That gives you time to look for a replacement.

Finally, if that doesn't work for you, then pull the door latch, get it on your bench, and start working on the homebrew switch repair project. Naturally, the drawback here is that your car will be unusable until you are able to figure that out. Unless you are an experienced fabricator, this should be your absolute last resort.

Just my $0.02. Anyway, first call should be to the dealer.

If you do decide to go for the last resort option, I've often thought that it would be easier in the long run to wire in a simple contact switch that would rest against the jamb when closed, that is, to bypass the latch switch entirely. If I ever get around to fixing my passenger side door (which fortunately failed permanently-closed rather than permanently-open), this is the approach I will take -- cheap and relatively easy, and permanent.
Thanks, this seems like good advice.

Supposedly I was able to order a replacement latch from lotusgarage.com, but I haven't received a shipping notification yet
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:02 PM

My fix a few years ago.

I had this problem with my car. I removed the door latch and cut the door latch to reveal the switch and removed the old micro switch. Found the same part on eBay after some investigating numbers and images on Google. Cost me a few bucks and didnít have to weld the piece back in where I cut it as it was held in place when I bolted it back into the door. Save me lots of $

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks, this seems like good advice.

Supposedly I was able to order a replacement latch from lotusgarage.com, but I haven't received a shipping notification yet
I would recommend giving them a call. People have posted complaints up here because they expect Lotus factory parts to work like most manufacturers, but the people who sell them have a different expectation (can take months). You can order anything you like but you may not get it in the coming year.
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardNHCooper View Post
I had this problem with my car. I removed the door latch and cut the door latch to reveal the switch and removed the old micro switch. Found the same part on eBay after some investigating numbers and images on Google. Cost me a few bucks and didn’t have to weld the piece back in where I cut it as it was held in place when I bolted it back into the door. Save me lots of $
Thanks for the note, but we're talking about Evora door latches. Of course it may be technically feasible to do the same thing with the Evora latch, and that's what the OP is asking about, but I haven't seen anyone on the Evora board successfully do so with an Evora part.

And, as I said above, it's probably best to leave that as the backstop option, after exhausting all others.
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the note, but we're talking about Evora door latches. Of course it may be technically feasible to do the same thing with the Evora latch, and that's what the OP is asking about, but I haven't seen anyone on the Evora board successfully do so with an Evora part.

And, as I said above, it's probably best to leave that as the backstop option, after exhausting all others.
This is my Evora that I changed the micro switch on.
Attached Images

carbuff and West-of-Hethel like this.

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Thanks -- your sig only mentions an Elise, and we get a lot of unintentional cross-postings from the more active side of the forum.

Can you provide us details on the microswitch you used?
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:44 AM

Microswitch.

Quote:
Thanks -- your sig only mentions an Elise, and we get a lot of unintentional cross-postings from the more active side of the forum.

Can you provide us details on the microswitch you used?
Sorry I did this a couple of years ago. I removed the door latch and cut one side (about 1/4 at an angle) and got it perfectly and removed the micro switch. I looked for any part numbers and then did a google search but had to use images to find it. Then bought two on EBay.
brgelise and West-of-Hethel like this.

post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Update: Despite it being months, they haven't shipped the door latch mechanism. They claim it's coming soon, but I doubt that!

I've been looking in the service notes to try and find information on disconnecting the door latch switch, so I can connect the wires and prevent the car from thinking it's open. I checked every section that seems relevant but can't find instructions on anything more than removing the door trim.

Does anyone know where this is located? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in