Sourcing door latch microswitch - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Actually in addition to VE.2 I found BV.12, which has a bit more info. So far I'm stuck on step 1, as I need a plastic prying tool to get the switches out with marring anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGB View Post
Update: Despite it being months, they haven't shipped the door latch mechanism. They claim it's coming soon, but I doubt that!

I've been looking in the service notes to try and find information on disconnecting the door latch switch, so I can connect the wires and prevent the car from thinking it's open. I checked every section that seems relevant but can't find instructions on anything more than removing the door trim.

Does anyone know where this is located? Thanks
Here's the door latch removal procedure thread:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f41...ocedue-350546/

If you go to the second diagram in post #5, you can see the latch micro switch harness.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
If you're just trying to bypass the switch, the wire colors should be black and black/gray for the driver's door, and black and black/red for passenger's.
Attached Images

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Small update: I was able to get into the door and disable the switch. It's sufficient to reach in and unplug the two-wire connector towards the bottom of the latch assembly, though even getting to this point is fairly difficult.

I think the parts distributor (Britsh Racing Group, LLC) have stopped replying to my emails asking me where my damn door latch assembly is

I had followed the service notes to the letter and ended up doing a few things that aren't necessary: you don't need to pry out the window and mirror controls and you don't need to disconnect the door latch cable from the handle.

Do the following in this order:

Lower the window and unlock the doors

Unwind and remove the door lock endcap, if fitted

Remove the five tree fixings on the bottom edge of the door

Remove the two tree fixings on the air duct shroud

Remove the two screws inside of the air shroud boot

Remove the door handle drip piece

Remove the two bolts from the door handle

Pull the bottom of the door away from the body, then lift up on the door to remove two guiding bolts out of the slots in the top of the door frame

You can either disconnect the wiring harnesses towards the front of the door piece, or you can support the door so it doesn't dangle

Raise the window

Disconnect the battery (the window could lower as you're reaching around in there)

Unplug the door microswitch harness, verify the door mechanism still works properly (I had to take the door off again, though I had removed the cable), verify the car thinks the door is closed, and reverse the above steps to refit

This way you can skip some painful steps.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM

My microswitch has not worked for 2 years. I had a latch on order for 4 months with British racing group but they could not give me any idea of when the latches would become available. In my opinion a business should not charge you full price for something that will not be sent within a reasonable time. It took over 2 months and several calls and emails to finally get my money refunded. Has anyone ever received one of these?? My experience with them was horrible and I will not use them again (if I can avoid it).
I unplugged my latch, so the car always thinks the door is shut. Things to know if you do this. If your DRL are deactivated (like mine) then you will not get a warning that you have left your lights on (Done that a billion times). You will have to lock your car manually by holding up the handle when you shut the door. The window will not position itself so the window will make contact with the top gasket when you shut the door. Dome light. Still these characteristics are better that the car thinking the door is always open.
Since we can't get these parts I decided to rip into the latch to replace the microswitch. I know some people have said they have done it, but nobody seems to be willing to share how it was done. The latch is pressed together with "rivet like" posts and without knowing the internal anatomy, it looked to risky to make a surgical cut in the plastic and possibly screw up the whole thing, which could make the car undrivable. Not a big deal if I could get the part! While I had the latch on the bench I lightly pried it open and sprayed contact cleaner in the area that appeared to house the microswitch. Dirt came out and I could hear the cleaner sizzling in there. When I reinstalled the latch it worked like new. Maybe a fluke or temporary fix but it works. The microswitch is on top of the latch and towards the outside.
If somebody has this issue here is what I would try first before taking your door apart.
1. With the door open. Use a screwdriver to engage the latch to the closed position.
2. Loosen (do not remove!!) the 3 hex screws that hold the latch to the door.
3. Use a small screwdriver to make a slight gap between the metal plate and the plastic case of the latch mechanism. Slip the tube of the contact cleaner in the gap and spray towards the back (under the upper mount screw and above the latch hook).
4. Tighten screws and release the latch.
I know others have mentioned spraying electrical cleaner in there but maybe this helps with exactly where to spray.
Good luck.
Name:  IMG_0822.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0824.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0823.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  303.9 KB
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Love Lotus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypie View Post
Since we can't get these parts I decided to rip into the latch to replace the microswitch. I know some people have said they have done it, but nobody seems to be willing to share how it was done. The latch is pressed together with "rivet like" posts and without knowing the internal anatomy, it looked to risky to make a surgical cut in the plastic and possibly screw up the whole thing, which could make the car undrivable. Not a big deal if I could get the part! While I had the latch on the bench I lightly pried it open and sprayed contact cleaner in the area that appeared to house the microswitch. Dirt came out and I could hear the cleaner sizzling in there. When I reinstalled the latch it worked like new. Maybe a fluke or temporary fix but it works. The microswitch is on top of the latch and towards the outside.
If somebody has this issue here is what I would try first before taking your door apart.
Thanks so much for the write-up!

2012 Evora S / Solar Yellow / Manual 2+2
Loving every mile!! 31k and counting...
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:58 PM

Latches have been out of stock for about 1 year. I was told they expect some to be available in April. Fingers crossed...
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:17 AM

Who told you they would be available in April? Lotus Garage /British Racing Group? They will lie to you! Don't order from them. I promise you will regret it. Try the contact cleaner for a 50 cent fix. Let us know if it works for you (or anyone). It worked for me and still going!
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Who told you they would be available in April? Lotus Garage /British Racing Group? They will lie to you! Don't order from them. I promise you will regret it. Try the contact cleaner for a 50 cent fix. Let us know if it works for you (or anyone). It worked for me and still going!
Thanks for the words of caution.

In my case spraying didn't help. The issue was not electrical per se -- it was mechanical. The switch was no longer held in place securely and the movement was enough to prevent the witch from tripping.

I did affect a repair by cutting throught the latch cover / plate and manually tweaking the lever arm of the switch. You can see the bend in the photo.

It is not prety but it works...for now. The yellow outline is the rough location of the microswitch.

I considered removal of the rivets that hold everything together but I couldn't hold the latch and bracket secure enough to give me confidence that the I could re-stake new rivits.
Attached Images

2011 chrome orange likes this.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
MGB

Thanks for the detailed information above!

Quote:
My microswitch has not worked for 2 years. I had a latch on order for 4 months with British racing group but they could not give me any idea of when the latches would become available. In my opinion a business should not charge you full price for something that will not be sent within a reasonable time. It took over 2 months and several calls and emails to finally get my money refunded. Has anyone ever received one of these?? My experience with them was horrible and I will not use them again (if I can avoid it).
I emailed them asking for a refund and didn't receive it. I opened a PayPal dispute and they had 14 days to reply, and they didn't. PayPal fortunately refunded me my money. British Racing Group are a bunch of clowns.
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Another update: I was sent a letter out of the blue by Stratton Motor Company in the UK, saying they had received a part order in my name from British Racing Group, and wondering if I still wanted it. They hadn't been paid. I paid them directly via PayPal (having gotten a refund via PayPal for BRG), and they shipped *something* out, hopefully my part. I believe this is their site: https://www.strattonmotorcompany.com/

They said others weren't so lucky in getting refunds from BRG, as apparently they just went out of business.
post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:00 AM

Did you receive the latch??
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Did you receive the latch??
I didn't mean to keep you all in suspense. I hold in my hands a LH door latch (N/STOCK DOOR LATCH L LA111U6007F). I pray to God it's the proper part.

They also sent me a free Lotus shirt! I haven't yet fully divined its meaning.

Is Hethel a person? A mysterious place in the UK? I may never know!
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Incidentally, I don't see any part of this thing that has wires or can plug them in.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Is Hethel a person? A mysterious place in the UK? I may never know!
Turn in your keys.
NumberSix, James33 and Europa TC like this.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Turn in your keys.
The Lotus dealership in Virginia closed down. I moved to Utah, and they closed down here too. Lotus isn't making it easy for me to learn their history
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
I didn't mean to keep you all in suspense. I hold in my hands a LH door latch (N/STOCK DOOR LATCH L LA111U6007F). I pray to God it's the proper part.
What's your car? That doesn't look like a door latch mechanism for the early Evoras at least. I haven't seen an Inteva latch though.

Not looking good from that P/N

R/B A111U6007F
Part Number: A111U0389S
Fits 2-Eleven (211), Elise, Exige, Exige Cup, Exige S, Exige Sport

And that does appear to be part 28 on the diagram for the Exige

Last edited by esseye; 05-03-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
MGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
What's your car? That doesn't look like a door latch mechanism for the early Evoras at least. I haven't seen an Inteva latch though.

Not looking good from that P/N

R/B A111U6007F
Part Number: A111U0389S
Fits 2-Eleven (211), Elise, Exige, Exige Cup, Exige S, Exige Sport

And that does appear to be part 28 on the diagram for the Exige
It's a 2011 Evora. And the latch in the diagram you provided looks just like it. Wrong part.

I had used LotusGarage's site (British Racing Group LLC) to find the part for the Evora, but somehow it got mixed up.
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:01 PM

2011 Evora "LATCH MECHANISM ASSY L/H" is part #B132B4169J.
post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Another update: I was sent a letter out of the blue by Stratton Motor Company in the UK, saying they had received a part order in my name from British Racing Group, and wondering if I still wanted it. They hadn't been paid. I paid them directly via PayPal (having gotten a refund via PayPal for BRG), and they shipped *something* out, hopefully my part. I believe this is their site: https://www.strattonmotorcompany.com/

They said others weren't so lucky in getting refunds from BRG, as apparently they just went out of business.
After reading this post I reached out to Rob at Stratton and he was more then helpful. He was able to source the door latch after I was unsuccessful in finding it locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in