TPMS behavior - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

TPMS behavior

I am having an issue with how the Tire Pressure Monitoring System is working on my 2017 Evora 400 & wondered if at least some of the behavior is normal.

So starting the car the TPMS display initially shows dashes (-) at all 4 corners, but then between 15 seconds & 2 minutes after moving off usually all 4 corners show the tire pressure.

A couple of weeks ago the 2 fronts remained at the dash symbol; the following day readings were delayed, with one corner taking 5 minutes to display & the other corner remaining at a dash.

The dealer has checked the system with the new dealer TPMS tool & also reset the system. In 4 starts all 4 corners have shown pressure readings within 2 minutes. Is this normal behavior?

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400

Last edited by pharriso; 05-29-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:54 PM

I think the sensors wait until the tires/wheels have rotated a few dozen times before registering a pressure. The other thing you will notice is that the pressures go up after the air in the tires gets warm and expands, thereby increasing the tire pressure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa TC View Post
I think the sensors wait until the tires/wheels have rotated a few dozen times before registering a pressure. The other thing you will notice is that the pressures go up after the air in the tires gets warm and expands, thereby increasing the tire pressure.
Agree. My rear left was not working at all and the dealer reset it I have the same delays before readings.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:00 PM

Mine started to jump positions... Only fix was new TPSensors. Car is a '15 build and I think the batteries were from 2013 or something.

Current Stable:
'15 Evora S Sports Racer
'15 Porsche GT4 Clubsport
'06 Subaru N12
'08 Ducati 848RS
'94 Honda RVF400RR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 AM

2009 Elise experience - My pressure sensors still work fine. The built-in batteries are OK ten years later.

Of course on the Elise there are no dashes shown. When the pressure goes below the minimum it indicates that in the area that normally shows the fuel level.

Once you top up the air in the tires, the low pressure warning hangs around for another half hour before it automatically clears.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:56 AM
MLC

Garage
Mine move around. Not in pressure reading, but from tire to tire. For example, the front tires may read 33 psi and the two rears 36 psi. Then when driving it will change such that the two left tires are 36 and the two right are 33, before going back again some time later. The sensors are having issues indicating which corner is which. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
Mine move around. Not in pressure reading, but from tire to tire. For example, the front tires may read 33 psi and the two rears 36 psi. Then when driving it will change such that the two left tires are 36 and the two right are 33, before going back again some time later. The sensors are having issues indicating which corner is which. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this.
I had the same, and since I replaced the sensors it has never repeated.

Current Stable:
'15 Evora S Sports Racer
'15 Porsche GT4 Clubsport
'06 Subaru N12
'08 Ducati 848RS
'94 Honda RVF400RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in