What did you do to your Evora today? - Page 233 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2911Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #4641 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 AM
MLC

Garage
My clutch pedal went to the floor last week, so I bought the Wilwood clutch master cylinder from Greg's Race Parts. I thought this would be a fairly simple change out, but it took me much longer than expected. The main issue is the lack of space in the Evora. I spent quite a while in the footwell trying to get the clutch fork attached to the pedal. There's just not enough room for hands to manipulate everything. At the front of the car there are a couple hard hydraulic lines that make it difficult to get access for tools when bolting the cylinder to the bulkhead.

The replacement kit itself is fine; much better engineered than the OEM version. The only real problem I had with the kit is the the fork that attaches to the clutch pedal had different sized holes such that the OEM pin only fit through one side. It was too big in diameter to go all the way through so I used a bolt and nut instead. Hence the time trying to get the nut threaded when I could only get one finger in there to hold it.

The clam off work wasn't as daunting as I expected. It takes some time to remove the wheel well liners, headlights, and all the bolts but really it is nothing to deter anyone. Not difficult at all.

Everything went back together nicely and the master cylinder works great. The pedal feels much better and I've had no issues.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4642 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:48 AM
MLC

Garage
Just heard back from Greg's Race Parts. There may be something non-standard with my pin as the kit is designed to use the OEM part. I'll check it out. When I bought the car it had some aftermarket parts and I know some work was done under the clam since some of the bolt sizes do not match the Lotus Service Notes info.

Good news is the kit works great and GRP are always helpful to me.
post #4643 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:59 AM

I'm curious how long it took to remove the front clam?
Snowphun likes this.

post #4644 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:32 AM
MLC

Garage
I'm not really sure. A couple hours I guess, but I went slow as it was my first time and kept checking the Service Notes. Next time would be faster. The basic procedure is this (off the top of my head):

- Jack up and support the front of the car.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the wheel well covers. Each has 8 plastic upholstery inserts held by screws.
- Inside the access hatch (where the brake fluid reservoir is) remove the hatch bracket, push the release cable through the grommet, and unbolt the windshield washer reservoir.
- Remove each headlight assembly. Unplug the wiring connector and the quick-release washer fluid hose. From the wheel well you can access 4 button-head screws. There is also a bracket held by two bolts to remove so you can pull the headlight unit out through the wheel well.
- The last step is to undue all of the bolts holding the clam down. At each side there is one bolt holding the clam to the firewall, two at the bodywork under the A-pillar (unplug the side marker light wiring), three bolts at the front securing it to the bumper, one bolt under the nose badge..... I think that's it.

Putting it back on was pretty quick - about an hour. Spend a bit of time adjusting to get the bodywork lined up via some slotted holes before torquing the bolts down. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again when needed.
post #4645 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
The replacement kit itself is fine; much better engineered than the OEM version. The only real problem I had with the kit is the the fork that attaches to the clutch pedal had different sized holes such that the OEM pin only fit through one side. It was too big in diameter to go all the way through so I used a bolt and nut instead. Hence the time trying to get the nut threaded when I could only get one finger in there to hold it.
What year is your car, and did it have the OE metal m/c? Mine did, and the Wilwood clevis needed to be slightly drilled out to fit the stock pin. I believe the pin on the cars w/ the plastic m/cs had a different diameter, so maybe that's where the confusion lies. It's good to see the spacer has been modified to accommodate that bracket to the upper left of the m/c. I had to make some custom modifications to mine so it wouldn't interfere.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #4646 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharriso View Post
Dunno, I am out & about. I live in Huntington...
I just moved from Huntington Station right near Autosport to Northport in November. You should go to the meet at Blackstone on 6/23

2011 Aspen White Evora N/A
post #4647 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intern8tion9l View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharriso View Post
Dunno, I am out & about. I live in Huntington...
I just moved from Huntington Station right near Autosport to Northport in November. You should go to the meet at Blackstone on 6/23
I'm not sure which people I met. But my mom lives in Dix hills, so I'm out that way almost weekly.

Incase I'm asking for help with something: 2011 Evora N/A C/R 6sp with BOE TVS 1900 S/C kit
post #4648 of 4727 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 PM
MLC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post
What year is your car, and did it have the OE metal m/c? Mine did, and the Wilwood clevis needed to be slightly drilled out to fit the stock pin. I believe the pin on the cars w/ the plastic m/cs had a different diameter, so maybe that's where the confusion lies. It's good to see the spacer has been modified to accommodate that bracket to the upper left of the m/c. I had to make some custom modifications to mine so it wouldn't interfere.
It is a 2011 and yes, it did have the metal master cylinder. One of the nice features is that the clevis can be removed easily, so I do have the option to drill it out if need be.
post #4649 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Loves to talk

Garage
Here is our much anticipated coverage of a meek pass of the Tail of the Dragon. I've included a few stills for those clever enough to avoid all 6 minutes and thirty seconds of extremely amateur filming, driving and scripting.

Attached Images

shay2nak, bruss, Lckitty and 7 others like this.

Lew
'17 Evora 400 MT
post #4650 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Finished install of Alpine KTP-445A booster amp behind dash and SSC Harness bar along with Schroth Profi II ASM 4-pt harnesses
Attached Images

lotusquacious likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**

Last edited by Julian73; 06-02-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added photos
post #4651 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC View Post
My clutch pedal went to the floor last week, so I bought the Wilwood clutch master cylinder from Greg's Race Parts. I thought this would be a fairly simple change out, but it took me much longer than expected. The main issue is the lack of space in the Evora. I spent quite a while in the footwell trying to get the clutch fork attached to the pedal. There's just not enough room for hands to manipulate everything. At the front of the car there are a couple hard hydraulic lines that make it difficult to get access for tools when bolting the cylinder to the bulkhead.

The clam off work wasn't as daunting as I expected. It takes some time to remove the wheel well liners, headlights, and all the bolts but really it is nothing to deter anyone. Not difficult at all.

Everything went back together nicely and the master cylinder works great. The pedal feels much better and I've had no issues.

Crap, you have the same BMC that I got with the resin plate??? that resin plate will beak. I got mine installed at the dealer and in about a month into driving it everyday, the resin plate ripped and so Greg had to send me a billit plate and I had to re-install it.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #4652 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:44 PM

An old audi s4 told her how slow she was

Was cruising in the car pool lane at 70mph, a 2000? (it was a B5 series) Audi S4 came flying up along side me. He gave me the hang loose sign and a thumbs up. He then proceeded to gun it with a back fire that literally left my ears ringing and was gone. That thing was so fast it was like I wasn't even moving! Keep in mind we were doing 70. He slowed down again and matched my cruising speed and did it again. Very impressive. Reminded me of that YT video series "When you think you are fast and this happens".

Wasn't even racing the guy but man it was fun to watch him go!
Lckitty, BACH1K and LotusTrbo like this.

2005 Elise- Katana II Supercharged and other fun bits
2011 Evora - Daily Driver
post #4653 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:24 PM
LotusTrbo

Thank you Agentdr8, just picked up my sun shade per your recommendation and it’s a perfect fit. Yes it’s a little expensive but cheaper than having the airbag clips replaced. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...itle?ie=UTF8&p […]
Attached Images

Lckitty and agentdr8 like this.

2011 Evora 2+2 Storm Titanium Metallic
post #4654 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Promoting interbreeding
Attached Images

Lckitty likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #4655 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
An old audi s4 told her how slow she was

Was cruising in the car pool lane at 70mph, a 2000? (it was a B5 series) Audi S4 came flying up along side me. He gave me the hang loose sign and a thumbs up. He then proceeded to gun it with a back fire that literally left my ears ringing and was gone. That thing was so fast it was like I wasn't even moving! Keep in mind we were doing 70. He slowed down again and matched my cruising speed and did it again. Very impressive. Reminded me of that YT video series "When you think you are fast and this happens".

Wasn't even racing the guy but man it was fun to watch him go!
You can tune the hell out of those motors 450HP easily done. Its still a heavy tanker.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #4656 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:25 AM

It is (finally) starting to warm up and it was time to recharge the AC in the Evora. A quick search didn't turn up any pictures of the valve location (behind right front wheel) so I took one to share... Now I just need to get some tint put on the windows
Attached Images

darcivic00si likes this.
post #4657 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusTrbo View Post
but cheaper than having the airbag clips replaced.
Is this the same risk in the 400 or did they address that?
post #4658 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtag114 View Post
Is this the same risk in the 400 or did they address that?
It's a different airbag cover for the 400s, but they use the same retaining clips. The warpage issues on the S1s seemed to be from either the panel material itself warping under heat, or the leather shrinking. Both cause the clips to break and then you get that trailing edge popped up.

post #4659 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
Spent a few hours today getting rid of the "Virtual Boy" look in my S1 gauge cluster. Still not as nice as the 4xx cluster, but definitely looks more modern IMO. If anyone's interested in the details, I can throw together a how-to, as I took a bunch of pictures of the process. It's not super complicated, but it helps if you have soldering/rework experience.
Attached Images

Snowphun, bruss, NumberSix and 9 others like this.

post #4660 of 4727 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:07 AM

I'd like the details please. Looks cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in