6Likes
  • 2 Post By brgelise
  • 1 Post By Julian73
  • 2 Post By brgelise
  • 1 Post By 94Mr2GR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

WINGS

Are any of the Evora wing designs, S1, 400,410, GT4, GREGGS, etc actually functional or for looks only? In my experience, some functional aero would be a benefit to my Evora. Seen as I am embarking on a few upgrades precipitated by the need for a new sail panel and deciding that louvers v glass on rear hatch is a functional upgrade, I am contemplating a wing v a 410 louvered hatch etc. I like GRP'S wing and have always loved the GT4 wing. I need to get all the weights figured out first. Then what is most functional. I have already designed 6 potential setups. I may get around to posting it all if their is interest. Hint....
I have put together packages ranging from $$1058 for a panel and louvers to$4748 for a 410 hatch which is louvered and sail panel. Options can be Fiberglass, CF any grades etc. I would hope Hethelsport and Gregg's would give me some input on weights of their products. CF finish is not necessary unless it is blatantly lighter and superior. Finish quality and durability mean just as much. I ruled out side scoops unless, once again, you can show me how much more airflow they give. Seen as I am at ~3080lb now, lower is always better. I seem to understand from somewhere on this forum that I can't refind, that removing the rear glass is 15-16lbs. I would really love to know the weight of my S1 rear hatch v a 410 (Hethelsport) rear hatch. That would probably give the most significant weight loss. Only downside is how a wing would look with that duck bill? or would a simple gurney flap be lighter and more effective??
Finally, HK Fever is out there somewhere and I'd love his input as well as I PM'd him already.

I was shocked to hear that a fully loaded, CF laden GT is 3175lbs!!!. So if I am able to get to 3025 or 3050 lb that is equivalent to 12-15 HP. This makes it hard to justify spending 50K for ~40HP equivalents on a new ride for predominantly track use. Esp when my vehicle has behaved so well and only is approaching 30K miles and suspension still seems completely solid etc. Maybe when I know what a future Lotus looks like in a few years.......or that birthday in 2022??
XHILR8N! and nintense like this.

Last edited by brgelise; 09-05-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 AM

I'm really happy with my stock louvered carbon fiber hatch, it is also functional in adding down force. Not a fan of the big wings I see on many cars, first I dont like this look and while sure they might help you on the track they actually will slow you down on the road..

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 07:42 AM

Also I have the techocraft carbon fiber louvered sail fin on order which will go better with the louvered hatch than regular sail fin. Also to stick with my louvered theme I ordered hethel motorsports louvered radiator covers
Attached Images

Current:
2018 Lotus Manual Evora 400
2015 Huracan VF800 Supercharged
2018 Audi SQ5

Past:
2012 R8 Manual V10 VF750 Supercharged
2009 R8 Manual V8 VF550 Supercharged

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Are any of the Evora wing designs, S1, 400,410, GT4, GREGGS, etc actually functional or for looks only? In my experience, some functional aero would be a benefit to my Evora. Seen as I am embarking on a few upgrades precipitated by the need for a new sail panel and deciding that louvers v glass on rear hatch is a functional upgrade, I am contemplating a wing v a 410 louvered hatch etc. I like GRP'S wing and have always loved the GT4 wing. I need to get all the weights figured out first. Then what is most functional. I have already designed 6 potential setups. I may get around to posting it all if their is interest. Hint....
I have put together packages ranging from $$1058 for a panel and louvers to$4748 for a 410 hatch which is louvered and sail panel. Options can be Fiberglass, CF any grades etc. I would hope Hethelsport and Gregg's would give me some input on weights of their products. CF finish is not necessary unless it is blatantly lighter and superior. Finish quality and durability mean just as much. I ruled out side scoops unless, once again, you can show me how much more airflow they give. Seen as I am at ~3080lb now, lower is always better. I seem to understand from somewhere on this forum that I can't refind, that removing the rear glass is 15-16lbs. I would really love to know the weight of my S1 rear hatch v a 410 (Hethelsport) rear hatch. That would probably give the most significant weight loss. Only downside is how a wing would look with that duck bill? or would a simple gurney flap be lighter and more effective??
Finally, HK Fever is out there somewhere and I'd love his input as well as I PM'd him already.

I was shocked to hear that a fully loaded, CF laden GT is 3175lbs!!!. So if I am able to get to 3025 or 3050 lb that is equivalent to 12-15 HP. This makes it hard to justify spending 50K for ~40HP equivalents on a new ride for predominantly track use. Esp when my vehicle has behaved so well and only is approaching 30K miles and suspension still seems completely solid etc. Maybe when I know what a future Lotus looks like in a few years.......or that birthday in 2022??

All Evora wings are functional, but imho the GT4 one is the one you’ll have downforce in “functional” speed... BTW that’s the opposite from aerodynamic. The other wings are more for high speed road going- basically less downforce = more aerodynamic = faster in straight line.
I don’t know much about the aftermarket carbon parts, but if you want to save functional weight, start from wheels, tires, rotors first. Second I would do the roof and the louver, then the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

As you know, I have Girodiscs, 2bular exhaust, Shorai battery and the usual lightening things done already. I am leaning towards the GT4 unit , but the track rat part of me likes the Greggs unit which is a GT4 type design on steroids....and adjustable I believe.

So far, these are the combinations I have put together starting with the most cost effective.

1. Hethelsport Fiberglass setup: Most Functional and cost effective
a. Sail Panel $509
b. Louvers $549 = $1058
c. GT4 Wing w/CHMSL $975 = $2033

2. Gregg's Race Parts (All basic CF): Would have to be 5++lbs lighter to consider, unless that wing is the one to have
a. Sail Panel $899
b. Louvers $899 = $1798
c. GRP Wing $749 = $2597

3. HethelSport CF Parts by WinAce Would have to be much better or lighter than Gregg's
a. Sail Panel $1099
b. Louvers $1099 = $2198
c. Wing GT4 $1850 = $4048

4. Techno CF (I have read questionable things about their UV coating quality) Gregg's
a. Dry Hatch w/CC $2199
b. Louvers w/CC $1399 = $3598
c. GRP Wing $749 = $4347

5. WinAce 410 TailGate in Fiberglass (Hethelsport)
a. Tailgate $2099
b. Sail Panel $509 = $2608 ??wing??

6. Win Ace 410 Tailgate, Sail in CF = $ 4748 ??wing??

7. HKFEVER
a. Sail Panel $850 shipped
b. Louvers $735 =$1585
c. Wing TBD I may just put a gurney flap on my wing

Now if the vendors can start giving us some weights etc, I hope this can help anyone that is starting to think about upgrading their S1. The first two options get the job done without lots of extra bling unless someone can show me how options 3,4 &6 are 10lbs lighter. The Winace tailgate in Fiberglass is probably not much lighter than the factory tailgate so that's a lot of money with little to gain. I am leaning towards option 1 or 2 depending on weights and the final wing look I want. It is not a bling show car. It is a track car and functionality wins any tiebreakers.
Keeping some money aside for another set of 19/20 wheels is on the table also as it appears our 18 rubber selection has diminished with the loss of the R888 275/40R18. Going to a 275/35R18, if one is to consider maintaining the rake only gives us a 225 front option as no 235/35R18 exists. No 18's can be carried forward to a newer Evora model anyway.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 09-06-2019 at 05:16 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 01:29 PM

I would be interested in the 410 full CF Tailgate if pricing is reasonable. I already save around 80 lbs going with titanium exhaust and Shorai battery.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

So the problem with Hethelsporgs fiberglass is that it needs to be finished. By the time you spend another $100-300 per piece to get it properly clearcoated, that $1058 becomes $1250-1650. As the CF version is CF on a fiberglass base, no weight loss but at least it is finished. I think they should offer a clearcoated fiberglass version??

So now HK seems to have the upper hand. Seen as everyone nearly universally loves Persian Blue, keeping the factory wing and just adding a gurney flap becomes my least iatrogenic solution. Hope this thread helps other folks down the road.

MODERATORS,?? IS THIS DATA STICKY OR HOW TO WORTHY??

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

Last edited by brgelise; 09-06-2019 at 04:39 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Are any of the Evora wing designs, S1, 400,410, GT4, GREGGS, etc actually functional or for looks only?

I seem to understand from somewhere on this forum that I can't refind, that removing the rear glass is 15-16lbs. I would really love to know the weight of my S1 rear hatch v a 410 (Hethelsport) rear hatch. That would probably give the most significant weight loss. Only downside is how a wing would look with that duck bill? or would a simple gurney flap be lighter and more effective??

I was shocked to hear that a fully loaded, CF laden GT is 3175lbs!!!.
GT weight of 3175 is base model which is effectively a 400 with the more powerful engine and suspension of the 410, no cf, and rear glass hatch with 400 wing, .... every thing else are options. But I agree, my base Sport 410 had more weight saving items than the optioned out GT. One dealer gave me his scale weight of 3081lbs on a GT cf edition with 1/8 tank of gas, they do have wider wheels but not that much.

Lotus uses the duck bill along with GT4 (type) wing on the GT430, along with a very aggressive front splitter. Unbalanced aero (big rear wing only) leads to variable handling .. low speed corner may be balanced but then high speed corner with substantial rear grip increase leads to understeering.
XHILR8N! likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I have decided to get HK fevers CF sail panel and louvers because everybody loves the quality and the price is extremely reasonable. A simple gurney flap may hold the rear down just a bit more.
XHILR8N! and Julian73 like this.

Last edited by brgelise; 09-07-2019 at 05:33 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 PM

Garage
I have the Hethelsport GT4 wing on my 400 and had AVI Boston fab me up a functional 3rd brake light.

2018 Evora 400
2017 NSX
2014 RS7
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:45 AM

I have the GTE 430 full kit from HethelSport. I ran the front lip first with oem carbon lid. Didn't really notice a huge impact to handling at speed with this set up.

Added the clam vents and rear spoiler and definitely noticed improvements to handling but didn't get a chance to get to track. Did feel much more planted with all peices in place.

Rear hatch (WinAce) with 430 wing (using Winace aluminum supports) is very heavy. I'd say similar to stock S1 hatch with glass and wing.

I am having Winace rear aluminum supports redesigned into lighter one peice units like oem. Current version is heavy and no reason to be 6pcs. Hope to have new units in a week or 2.

Didn't really help OP but just noting my experience.
Attached Images

PLAY-DOH likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

All great variations on the theme. You confirmed my thoughts about the 430 wing and 410 hatch. I will be happy with the 15-16lb loss of weight.

GT4 wing is still my favorite from esthetics, but the 430wing, if adjustable is the track lovers way to go. Maybe next spring. BTW your Persian Blue 400 would have had me pulling the trigger!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in