wiper mktor. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2011 chrome orange

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Wiper Motor

Has anybody else stripped a gear on the wiper motor? Am I correct to assume due to the poor gasket at base of window design that it is a clam off job?

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 09-01-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Garage
I haven't stripped a gear, but mine is making a horrible sound, so I know it's on its way out. When I had the front clam off for my clutch m/c job, I couldn't envision a way to remove the wiper motor without removing the clam. Or at the very least, lifting it up near the bottom of the windshield edge. But you'd still need to unbolt near the A-frames, and I probably wouldn't want to flex it too much with it still mounted near the bumper, so you might as well pull it entirely.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

There is a spot just left of center where it gets stuck. With car off, it feels like a tooth broke. No idea why?? Happened out of nowhere. Thanks. If they had designed that panel at base of windshield better, you should be able to detach it, the 4 allen screws and it seems to be held mysteriously in the center somewhere. Guess I have a project

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

Last edited by brgelise; 08-29-2019 at 06:21 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Motor ordered from a great place for parts "Pacific Motors" in Detroit ,MI. They have lots of Lotus parts

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Part being overnighted. 3hrs clam off and PIA motor removed

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

As luck would have it (NOT), my replacement motor has had the clock reset to 12 noon. Why do ass$$$les do this sh!!. Probably why the car was totaled...cuz they were stupid to begin with... any way, not worth dissassembling the erector set for it. Still have headlights and fenders to attach, but its a real PIA job with nut s in goofy places etc
Took 2 hours to take off clam and another hour to get the motor ourt as the bolts were in unaccessable positions to break free.

So far, get it back together has been 3+hrs and still have headlights and fender to reattach. A couple of quick disconnect pins in clam would have been far smarter as you have to drop headlights for the 2 lateral front edge of clam nuts only. The front 2 bolts for headlight are a real treat to reach..... saga continues

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Garage
A quick tip on the headlight front bolts. The plate it mounts to is slotted, so the bolt doesn't need to be removed entirely to loosen it from the mount. Once the headlights are out, use tape/glue or some other method to hold the washer closest to the headlight assembly in the upward position, so that when you go to reinstall, you can simply slide the front bolt into the slot, and the lower washer will rest on the bolt head.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:23 PM

The next time I remove my headlights I’ll be replacing those pesky front headlight bolts with butterfly winged bolts.

I can get my arm in to reach the OEM bolts to start them back in but it’s a major pain to get the hex key on to tighten them. Hopefully the winged bolts make my life easier.
brgelise likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
I can get my arm in to reach the OEM bolts to start them back in but itís a major pain to get the hex key on to tighten them. Hopefully the winged bolts make my life easier.
That's a good idea. I have a pretty good wingspan and still found it tough to get to that front bolt, let alone to get a good angle on it to snug it back down. Easily the most annoying part of taking the front panels off.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Great idea. Of all the things I have worked on with the car, the headlight mounting is pretty retarded. An extrusion off the frame to sit the headlight on would have been FAR more intelligent esp if it allowed you to slide lights back to access front clam nuts without removal. Only other issue was the wiper motor bolts that are in an almost unreachable position and on the lower ones, they had had to grind out the base of the mounting plate for screw access. Would have been far smarter to just put the bolts 1 -2 mm higher!! So I have a 12 o'clock wiper setup now. Guess that makes me look da bomb. At least it all aligned nicely. So it ended up being a 12 hour job. Probably would be 8 hrs if I did it again. I'd rather change shocks, springs, rotors etc.....the fun we get ourselves into but seen as our Florida trip got cancelled, it was a healthy vent of frustration. I was REALLY looking forward to a 2500 mile roundtrip in the Maserati!!!

It truly is annoying when you make a typo in the subject and can't correct it!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in