Wiper motor replacement - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By agentdr8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Wiper motor replacement

My windshield wiper motor is making grinding noise. Its working fine for now but don't think it will be long before it stops working from the sound of it. I removed the wiper arm and tried to grease the bolt coming from the motor but didn't help. Sounds like the gears inside. Equally as loud with no wiper arm attached. Found a replacement relatively cheap. How extensive is the replacement? I'm assuming front clam has to be removed ? Sorry if this has already been addressed I didn't find any old threads here on this issue. Warranty is expired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 PM

Garage
Yep, clam off deal. The motor is mounted underneath the brake/clutch fluid reservoir along the windscreen frame.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+.5
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:03 AM

I had the same issue with mine (MY12) which at the time still was under warranty. Begun to make an awful grinding noise. Recently I had to remove the front clam in order to replace the clutch master cylinder. The write-up in the workshop manual is really good and it's not a complex job to get it off and on. Replacing the master cylinder is a bit fiddly though...

If you haven't done so already I'd suggest that you get hold of the "technical service notes" as they are referred to. Quite handy when poking around.

Lotus Evora S -12
Mazda 6 Estate AWD -15

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_A View Post
I had the same issue with mine (MY12) which at the time still was under warranty. Begun to make an awful grinding noise. Recently I had to remove the front clam in order to replace the clutch master cylinder. The write-up in the workshop manual is really good and it's not a complex job to get it off and on. Replacing the master cylinder is a bit fiddly though...

If you haven't done so already I'd suggest that you get hold of the "technical service notes" as they are referred to. Quite handy when poking around.
Are the "technical service notes" that you refer to the same as the "Evora Service Notes" listed in Post #1 here ?
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f417...ls-etc-313889/

Or, are there better Service Notes available ??
Compared to the Porsche Factory "Workshop Manuals", the Lotus ones are vastly inferior.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:43 PM

Yes, "technical service notes" is what Lotus calls them and the official way to get them is via Welcome | VSI

What is lacking is in depth stuff for the gearbox and engine which has to be purchased separately. From what I was told by my dealer this is due to agreements with Toyota. I haven't bothered to do so since I have no intentions to dismantle either of them.

Lotus Evora S -12
Mazda 6 Estate AWD -15
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
Compared to the Porsche Factory "Workshop Manuals", the Lotus ones are vastly inferior.
Even compared to Toyota & Honda service manuals the Lotus Service Notes are light on content. But it's better than nothing, and in many cases, has helped resolve some unknowns.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 06:29 AM

Garage
My wiper motor is making a very loud sound now. I think it is on it's last legs. All my niggles are complete so I haven't tested my extended coverage insurance yet. We'll see on this one.
If not, and I have to do this myself....did you guys find a replacement motor (Ford, Toyota etc.) that was priced decent?

https://www.instagram.com/evoralightness/
2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 550hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:39 AM

Garage
Supposedly you can replace the wiper motor guts from a 1995 VW Golf (Bosch) motor and it'll work fine. That's what I have in my parts xref list at least.
Lckitty likes this.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Is it just one of these that you need?

https://www.1aauto.com/volkswagen-wi...MaAhVoEALw_wcB
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 PM

Garage
I haven't had the pleasure (pain) of replacing one yet, but that's what was relayed to me by Chris @ B is for Build. It's possible that he just used the motor internals, and kept the stock gears and housing.

The OEM one is B132U0061F, but about $350. I'd probably try and take the bad one apart and refurb it if possible.

Last edited by agentdr8; 02-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM

This IS NOT A CLAM OFF JOB! There is a Lotus service bulletin about this that I posted on a similar thread within the last 5 months. When I get time to find it, I will post it here.

Well, that was faster than I thought!

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f17...wipers-456874/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:37 PM

Sorry; wrong thread. I'll find it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Good luck not pulling off the clam. Those bolts were a bastard even with the clam off!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in