Tuning Software: Stock Lotus ECU - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thumbs up Tuning Software: Stock Lotus ECU

This thread is to better explain the features and availability of the very comprehensive tuning suite for the stock ECU. In addition, will post the tunes that we've made with the software and their availability.

Background

This software, known as FastWorks was pioneered by one of the best ECU software engineers on the planet (handle is Hackish on the forums). We have worked together for months on end, around the clock, to release this extremely powerful bit of software that completely unlocks the stock ECU! This software unlocks the stock ECU allowing you to have "standalone" like flexibility/tunability (remember the Lotus ECUs started life out as high-end standalone race ECUs) with all the great OBDII compliancy of a stock Lotus tune remaining intact. There is no editor for the stock ECU as complete as FastWorks either commercially or to the end user.

Since When?

The software and tunes for the software were released to the public in Spring of 2013. Information about it can be found here BOE FASTWORKS ECU TUNING. There are both "End User" and "Commercial" versions for the software. Commercial inquiries should contact BOE Fabrication directly.

BOE FASTWORKS Flashes/Tunes

We (BOE) obviously make tunes for Lotus cars. Without a doubt, the FastWorks software has allowed for a MUCH more complete tune to be developed as compared to Lotus and any other aftermarket tune. With COMPLETE control of the ECU, we make the same power as we have made with standalone ECUs but without the headaches of a standalone!

All flash tunes we sell that are developed with FastWorks Software can be identified with the branding Torque in their name, e.g. Torque300. Each Torque tune comes with Flash and Diagnostic software to allow for uploading the tune, live view gauge view of all engine running parameters, data logging, code clearing, code reading, memory/trim clearing, recovery modes. Since we have seen so many various lotus setups, we have the ability to customize many features of the flash to work with various desires for the tune and hardware configurations. See the Tune Request and support section here

Each Flash is made specific per the tune request form and will be locked down to a single ECU.

BOE FastWorks Tuning Software Suites

Base Flash and Diagnostic: This software comes with all Torque tunes (premade flashes by BOE). As described above, this software allows you to flash the tune, recover the ECU (in the event of a failure), data log, read codes, etc. This software is a great tool for most people and comes with all Torque Tunes. It does not allow the end user to make changes to the Torque map supplied.

Level 1 Editor Upgrade: This is an upgrade package for the Base Flash and Diagnostic Software. This software upgrade allows those who purchase a BOE Torque tune to be able to tweak all non-performance parameters of their tune. Items such as gear dependent shift lights, emissions parameters, injector size, etc can all be changed with this. It also adds a feature to allow you to download Lotus ECU performance data. This feature is not locked down to a single car, so you can help a friend car shop with the ability to download performance data from multiple vehicles!

The Level 1 Editor Upgrade is perfect for Torque tune purchaser that may switch between running or not running a catalyst for emissions purposes and would like to shut off the MIL from "de-cat". Also for the user that may want to remove their charcoal canister system in the future. Shutting down the EVAP monitors is as simple as clicking a button. A more complete description of this upgrade found here

Level 2 Editor Full Suite and Level 2 Upgrade

This is the grand daddy of all ECU editing. This is essentially the same editor we have!!! All features within the stock ECU are unlocked. The Level 2 Upgrade is for purchasers of a Torque tune and Level 1 Upgrade who eventually become more adventuresome and want to be able to be able to tune their car themselves. The Level 2 Editor Full Suite is for someone that knows this is what they want right out of the gate. This provides the functionality of Base, Level 1 Upgrade, and Level 2 Upgrade all within a single click. We assume the Level 2 Full Suite buyer has the ability to tune themselves. We will provide a base map with this software that is designed for the end user to dial in.

More information here

Supported Models and ETA for Updates

We are very actively adding our custom software patches to expand functionality of the ECU and expand the various ECU models that the software will work with.
  • 2006-2007, T4E "White Dash" Models: Available!
  • 2005, T4 "White Dash" Models: ETA August 2013
  • Enhanced AIM Dash/Telemetry CANBUS Support: ETA August/Sept 2013
  • 2008+, T4E "Black Dash" Models: ETA October 2013
  • Evora Models: ETA Jan 2014

Other Custom Stuff...

We have made custom tunes for VF customers and various turbocharged cars. We also have built revised tunes with this software for BOE Rev kits. Rev Torque Tunes are found here. Currently, VF tunes are on a custom order basis. An example of a thread discussing the VF tuning here. Due to the vast differences and certain hardware upgrades that would likely be needed to tune a turbo car, those are most likely going to have to be done in house on our dyno. Please contact us directly for this...

Screen Shots below....

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

Last edited by turbophil; 07-21-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 AM
BANNED

Wow! Great stuff...can't wait for the "Black dash"...
post #3 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:36 PM

That's what we've been looking for! Now we can have some FUN custom tuning our own cars!

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]

post #4 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:53 PM

It's also noteworthy to mention that a number of custom features have been implemented that were never available from Lotus. I've added features for engine protection against overboost (for those running turbo), high speed datalogging, 2 step launch control for standing starts as well as a host of others. These are entirely custom software modifications for the ECU.

-Michael
post #5 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 04:36 PM

If I am currently installing a REV400 kit and have not reflashed the ECU yet. Shouldn't I got directly to this software and just skip the KoldFire tune?
Is this possible?
post #6 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

///MD- Contact us directly and we'll see if that makes sense...

Yes, this software is exactly what we've been waiting for.

Beyond the fact that our Torque series flash tunes have been vastly improved over anything we've seen in te aftermarket in the past, now we or you (the end user) truly have the ability to tune intakes, headers, cams, porting, turbos, blowers, even nos, etc... It's the key to opening up the entire engine aftermarket for our cars

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #7 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM

What is the equivalent to the Koldfire 200 and what all needs to be purchased?
I have a N/A 2006 and looking to just smooth out that valley of death before the second cam.
post #8 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

I need to finish the NA tune. Believe it or not, I don't get many NA cars on the rollers!

That said, have a customer that's supposed to be dropping his off soon (this week or next) so that I can wrap that project up. I know there's more to be gained on the NA cars than what we've seen in the past...

Best,

Phil

post #9 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Phil, great news that you have scheduled the Evora

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #10 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Julian and Evora- Yes, we're looking forward to Evora next year. I saw someone post that I'm not interested in Evora. That's just not the case. I'm just short on time!!! When it comes to the ECU bits 'n pieces, it's only Hackish and myself that are doing this. It's waaaaaay more work and time than I think anyone gives it credit. It'll be interesting to see what sort of cancer I contract from over exposure to exhaust on the dyno in combination with lack of sleep. Anyone that has spent 8+ consecutive hours on a set of rollers will know what I mean. The next day you feel like you were on a pub crawl the day prior. Now do that a few days a week for many weeks in a row!.lol

T4 Update: Not trying to be a tease, but we are this | | close to being done with it on the bench. We will still have some further dyno validation to do on a couple features and then of course build the maps. My timeline in the first post still seems to be in the cards!

Other Stuff Update: We've added ~20 more validated definitions to play with since I started this post. It's really minor stuff that most won't need to play with, but it's good to have especially for those running big cams and/or huge Turbos. The depth of the software can go on forever. Again, much of it you wouldn't tinker with, but it's great to have the capability!

-Phil

post #11 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 PM

Here is my Microsoft Word Compatible Tune Request. This one is editable and has check boxes

>>> Fastworks Tune Request Form <<<

Feel free to steal it Phil!

Here is some additional info.

Here are all the features available to Level 1 users (as of the version shown).

Is it licensed by VIN and what if my VIN is bad?

The software is attached to a specific VIN. If your VIN is generic (ends in all 0's) or does not match the car, don't worry you are ok. There are two parts to the software, a firmware patch and the "tune" itself. The firmware patch is customized to have the VIN you tell BOE. It will write the new VIN to the ECU. This is all done through the Fastworks software and does not require you to remove the ECU.

Does the software call home?

Yes, the software will try to connect to the Fastworks/BOE server upon first starting up. If it cannot connect to the server the software will close and provide no functionality. Here is my suggestion if you are planning to go out driving and doing dataloging or going to a dyno. Start the laptop up at home. Load the Fastworks software and login and let it validate. Then simply close the lid on your laptop so it goes into hiberbate mode. I have raised this concern with Michael, and as I said to him hopefully there is a balance where we can use the product and he can protect his intellectual property.

How long does it take to do a flash?

The initial flash takes a while since it rewriting the firmware in the ECU. This one took me maybe 5-10 minutes total. In which you are turning the ignition on and off. Once you get passed that one, writing a "tune" only takes about 20 seconds.

Can I use the Tactrix Openport cable for other things?

Yes! It is still a completely useable cable. You can use it hack into other cars [see their forum]. The cable also has a slot for a Micro SD. CUrrently there is no use for this with Fastworks, but Phil says they have some ideas for the future.

Will I need to buy a USB cable for the Tactrix Openport?

No! it comes with a 2 meter mini USB cable from an online vendor that I greatly recommend!

Can Level 1 options be changed in real time?

No. In order to modify the tune, you open the file and make changes to the desired parameters. You then write it to the ECU. The engine can not be running during the write process. My understanding of the Level 2 is that you can make temporary changes (volatile memory), but must do a normal write process to make the changes permanent.

Can I use this if I have a Vision Function supercharger or a custom turbo/SC kit?

Yes, absolutly! However, to get the best out of it you will need to additionally get the IAT sensor kit from BOE. It is about $50-$60 for the sensor and harness. This will allow the ECU to see the actual air temps instead of seeing what the MAF sees. Though if you have a MAF in a blow through configuration, consult with BOE as you may be able to preserve that setup.

Here is my helpfull hint for installing the wire into the ECU harness. The pin has a slender area in the middle. The locking tab that you slide out has a split down the middle. That split fits over the slender spot on the pin. So the pin needs to be rotated in such a way that the split will fit around it. Also that being said, until you push in the retaining clip, the pin will slide in and out pretty easily. Thats normal. It doesn't catch like a Molex pin does.

Can the Fastworks software make my emmisions pass?

Yes and no. Phil had previously posted a screenshot showing that "Ready Tests" could be individually enabled or disabled. This allowed the ECU to function as if that particular test never existed. This includes the Catalyst, O2 Sensor & Evaporative system. That feature is not available to users at this point in time, and most likely never will be. However, if you have a particular need, please consult with Phil as I guarantee you he can most likely take care of you.

Moving on to the individual "P0xxx" codes that can be disabled in the Level 1 software. In my limited experience playing with these, if you disable a particular POxxx code you will not get a check engine light related to that code, however the emissions ready test related to that code will not set. For instance Po171 (lean) came disabled with the tune I got. My O2 sensor test would not set until I set the code to enable. Something else kept my catalyst test from setting, but in the state of Texas you are allowed 1 not-ready state to pass emissions. So between the first pargraph and your states laws, you can probably work out a way to get the car passing.

How Does The Datalogging Work?

Once the ignition is on, connect to the ECU (engine does not have to be running to datalog). Open the Gauges menu under View. Select Datalog from the ECU menu (or just hit Ctrl-D if your driving). The software will start writing to a comma delimited CSV file. Any texteditor can view this, though Excel is a better choice. You can choose to view many parameters that the ECU is looking at. However, at this time you cannot save the layout you create.

Some Notes About Datalogging
  • On my laptop (i5 & SSD harddrive,though may not matter) the software writes at about 26 frames per second!!
  • It's about 100 Kilobytes per minute of writing.
  • The gauges bar only grows horizontally, can't add another row.
  • To add a guage, right click on the existing gauges and add/new. Then right click on new one and change properties.
  • Hackish has stated that the dataloging section will be revamped with the release of the T4 update.
  • Side note, the default save spot was in the Layout folder, not the datalog folder.

Datalog Timing

Currently, the datalog uses the Epoch of when the you started datalogging for the file name. See here for an understanding on Epoch. The "frames" in the csv file do not appear to relate to any trackable time measurement. As I noted I was seeing about 26 frames per second on my laptop. So at that point, each "frame" would be equivalent to 38.5 milliseconds.

Can Fastworks read or clear CEL codes?

Yes, though it is basic. It will only tell you what fault codes are active. It will not tell if your emmisions Ready Tests are set or not. You can erase the codes (which also resets the Ready Tests) and you can clear the "memory" of the various fuel and timing trims. You should select this when writing a new map that has new tables. You do not need to do if you are just changing level 1 features.

If I have Level 1, can I buy different injectors without worrying about getting a new map?

Yes, Hackish says the Fuel Injector Scalars can be used if you buy injectors that are a different cc size.

Quote:
For the injector scaling, yes it's possible and works very well. For example I did 2 force fed cars, one with 450cc and the other with 550cc injectors. The tune required no adjustments other than injector size and latency table.
Will the Level 1 or 2 software license transfer to another owner if I sell the car?

I do not know the answer to this, as I have not asked.

What if I fry my ECU, will my software license transfer to the new ECU?

I got paid on Friday, will I be able to show off to my co-workers on Monday!?!?

One thing about most vendors in this particular scene is you need to learn to be patient. Getting ahold of Phil or Andrew at BOE can be a very daunting task sometimes. However, based on my experience, I believe they are too busy making sure previous customers are getting exactly what they need. I have dealt with BOE on several occasions and everytime Phil has contacted me either through phone, email or text to communicate extensively to make sure we are on the same page and that I understand everything. They will get back to you, just don't expect it to be quickly. Also the intial setup of your software requires manual work, no automation. So once you pay you will still have to wait for Phil to get time to authorize your account (and wait for the cable as well).

Known Issues, Bugs, Concerns
  • The "MAF airflow" datalog currently just starts counting quickly until it hits the 12bit value of 4096 and stops.
  • The software is supposed to be able to do a "ECU Dump", but currently is not working. ETA is with T4 update.
  • Software will not work over a network that uses a proxy.
  • Vehice Speed (VSS) will stop at 62MPH/100KPH and say ">62MPH" on the viewer, but it will continue writing actual value to file.
  • The software does upload your tunes to the server, but currently the "server" download button is not active. So save locally.

Last edited by Westrock; 07-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.
post #12 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to review. I'll try to fill in a few blanks. Phil does provide most of the support and this is very helpful to me since it frees up many more hours to complete the T4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post

Here is some additional info.

Here are all the features available to Level 1 users (as of the version shown).
Off memory, your version is out of date. I'll be rolling up a new set of installers when the T4 support is introduced.

Quote:

Does the software call home?

Yes, the software will try to connect to the Fastworks/BOE server upon first starting up. If it cannot connect to the server the software will close and provide no functionality. Here is my suggestion if you are planning to go out driving and doing dataloging or going to a dyno. Start the laptop up at home. Load the Fastworks software and login and let it validate. Then simply close the lid on your laptop so it goes into hiberbate mode. I have raised this concern with Michael, and as I said to him hopefully there is a balance where we can use the product and he can protect his intellectual property.
By default it tries to call home every 3 days. The software was designed for a number of different markets and the age and maturity of the majority of Lotus owners differs from some other markets it supports. As a result, the design is very robust by default. There shouldn't be any problem with it tethered to a hotspot and the typical request is about 10k of data so it shouldn't kill a cell plan. The easy answer is just to make sure your license is up to date before heading out to the track. If this is a problem you can always speak with Phil and see what other solutions we can offer you.

Quote:
Can I use the Tactrix Openport cable for other things?

Yes! It is still a completely useable cable. You can use it hack into other cars [see their forum]. The cable also has a slot for a Micro SD. CUrrently there is no use for this with Fastworks, but Phil says they have some ideas for the future.
Our cable is based on the tactrix but it is not 100% identical. You can use a tactrix for our stuff but I'm not 100% certain it works the other way around. I haven't personally verified this. The Fastworks program also supports a number of Mazdas and Mitsubishis. Some projects are licensed through other companies but the technology will definitely work with the cable.

Quote:
Some Notes About Datalogging
  • On my laptop (i5 & SSD harddrive,though may not matter) the software writes at about 26 frames per second!!
  • It's about 100 Kilobytes per minute of writing.
  • The gauges bar only grows horizontally, can't add another row.
  • To add a guage, right click on the existing gauges and add/new. Then right click on new one and change properties.
  • Hackish has stated that the dataloging section will be revamped with the release of the T4 update.
  • Side note, the default save spot was in the Layout folder, not the datalog folder.
The layout thing was a bug in the installer. You can easily just correct the path in the settings. The datalogging stuff is all custom patches to provide high speed access. As you've mentioned this section has been reworked for the next release. That includes saving the layout (remember the layouts directory)...

Quote:
Datalog Timing

Currently, the datalog uses the Epoch of when the you started datalogging for the file name. See here for an understanding on Epoch. The "frames" in the csv file do not appear to relate to any trackable time measurement. As I noted I was seeing about 26 frames per second on my laptop. So at that point, each "frame" would be equivalent to 38.5 milliseconds.
The intent of this was not really to provide human readable feedback, instead it was so logging software could determine the skew associated with measurements. For example knowing the sample rate by the difference in timestamps and then calculating the rate of change from one frame to the next you can interpolate a projected "actual" sensor value for increased accuracy. When T4 is released there are plans to move stuff over to using CAN packets so it can provide black dash and AIM support as well as packets that contain more than 1 piece of data (accurate instantaneous snapshot). At present the communications is using standard serial kline packets with the speed cranked up.

Quote:
Can Fastworks read or clear CEL codes?

Yes, though it is basic. It will only tell you what fault codes are active. It will not tell if your emmisions Ready Tests are set or not. You can erase the codes (which also resets the Ready Tests) and you can clear the "memory" of the various fuel and timing trims. You should select this when writing a new map that has new tables. You do not need to do if you are just changing level 1 features.
The newer version supports readiness test results. It also resets the learned trims for you when you flash the ECU. Since the level 1 editor mostly deals with emissions type settings, live updates and such are not really needed since most emissions tests are setup at a fixed time anyway.

Quote:
Will the Level 1 or 2 software license transfer to another owner if I sell the car?

The VIN (vehicle) is the thing that is licensed so the license follows the vehicle.

Quote:
What if I fry my ECU, will my software license transfer to the new ECU?

One of the big reasons for dealing with Phil is the level of support he gives out to the clients. We're a couple of guys who work long hours to produce this stuff. not a huge faceless corporation that doesn't give too @#[email protected]# about its clients. We're both of like mind when it comes to taking care of fixing up problems like this.

Quote:
Known Issues, Bugs, Concerns
  • The "MAF airflow" datalog currently just starts counting quickly until it hits the 12bit value of 4096 and stops.
  • The software is supposed to be able to do a "ECU Dump", but currently is not working. ETA is with T4 update.
  • Software will not work over a network that uses a proxy.
  • Vehice Speed (VSS) will stop at 62MPH/100KPH and say ">62MPH" on the viewer, but it will continue writing actual value to file.
  • The software does upload your tunes to the server, but currently the "server" download button is not active. So save locally.
MAF problem - never seen it before and it's never been reported.
ECU Dump, yes that's an issue with your version. In the other thread Phil had posted screencaps of the ecu dump so it's definitely there and working.
I have never seen a situation where someone needed a special type of proxy. 99.9% of people have internet access. I've even used dialup on it before. It just opens an industry standard http connection.
The tune upload sends the tuned file up to the server, the server decodes it and backs it up and then converts the file to a calibration flash file and sends it back to you. While you could keep a backup of the software read it's really only useful to the server.

For bug reports that relate to the software itself I'm working on setting up a bug tracking system. Many times I get bug reports it turns out to be a misunderstanding of a feature or misconfiguration. The software does have a few bugs in it but with several hundred thousand lines of code this can't be avoided.

Hope that helps to fill in a few blanks.

-Michael
post #13 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Those were some of the questions I had when starting out with the software, so thought I would save others the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackish View Post
Off memory, your version is out of date. I'll be rolling up a new set of installers when the T4 support is introduced.
Is there a way for the user to update the software? I have tried the Check Update or version or whatever the button is a couple times since getting the software and it has always said I am up to date.
post #14 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:07 PM

I have another question.

Are the tunes also locked to the license?

Meaning if I were to buy Level 2 eventually and come up with a tune for my setup, would I be able to give it to another fastworks user, or would I have to submit it to BOE and then they give it to the user?
post #15 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
I have another question.

Are the tunes also locked to the license?

Meaning if I were to buy Level 2 eventually and come up with a tune for my setup, would I be able to give it to another fastworks user, or would I have to submit it to BOE and then they give it to the user?
Sort of yes and sort of no...

you cannot load your tune into another's license or vise versa, but screen captures, etc are obviously freeware...

Now, Obviously the other person you would be sharing with has the full editor suite, as they would have to do what you're implying... I'd probably be open to doing the transfer of the map if you and the one to share with all brought me in the loop and just wanted to do a simple transfer of nearly the same map short of the VIN...

Make sense?

Later,

Phil

Edit: There's a compare feature in the editors that allow you to compare any of the maps that you're licensed to use including those that you make yourself. Obviously, I can see anyone's map so I can use the compare feature to share a map more directly... otherwise, you can use screen capture... OR you can use excel. By that, I mean you can paste your fuel map into Excel. Share that Excel file with a buddy and they could copy/paste accordingly... plenty of ways to "game" the system that are totally cool with us... as long as you're not trying to hack our security of course!

Last edited by turbophil; 07-30-2013 at 05:42 PM.
post #16 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Phil, can you please elaborate what is this about? I am planning to go Fastwork and also planning/waiting for MXL2 to be out.

Enhanced AIM Dash/Telemetry CANBUS Support: ETA August/Sept 2013
post #17 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Another question. How does it work. I must be missing something.

In terms of dollar value, item 1+2+3 = item 4+$100, so if you go straight for the full suite, you only get $100 off?

1. Level 1 - $200
2. TQ300+: $850
3. Level 2 Editor Plug-In: $850

4. Level 2 Full Suite: $1800
post #18 of 247 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotustalk_lacy View Post
Phil, can you please elaborate what is this about? I am planning to go Fastwork and also planning/waiting for MXL2 to be out.

Enhanced AIM Dash/Telemetry CANBUS Support: ETA August/Sept 2013
Sure...

So right now, the good folks at AIM have CANBUS already working. The limitation is that we're currently still using the Lotus CANBUS template. That template carries tach, speed, fuel level, water temp--- essentially just what you see on the white dash. Now, if you want add'l inputs such as IAT, spark, load, MAF, TPS, etc, you have to -currently- use the additional OBD2 pickup for those items.

The Black dash CAN template has several of those add'l items, but not all...

So what we'll do is build our own template that is complete with pretty much anything we would want or need to know for logging and AIM will add that to their firmware.

When you buy an AIM product, ask for Josh and mention that you're looking forward to this new update from us, BOE/Fastworks, to make sure they stay interested

That said, we're still ironing out some details on the next software release to support T4. There are a few criteria that we relied on for the actual flashing process that are different on the T4 that required rewriting a fair bit of the editor so tha the same program works on both ECUs... As of last night, about 1:15AM, we're nearly complete... Soon as that's perfected, the CANBUS data stream mentioned earlier is next on our list...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotustalk_lacy View Post
Another question. How does it work. I must be missing something.

In terms of dollar value, item 1+2+3 = item 4+$100, so if you go straight for the full suite, you only get $100 off?

1. Level 1 - $200
2. TQ300+: $850
3. Level 2 Editor Plug-In: $850

4. Level 2 Full Suite: $1800
That's correct. A slight discount for buying it all at once.... 1+2+3 has the same capability as 4. The original intent was that I would not be providing base maps for #4 buyers and that #4 buyers would simply be working from their stock Lotus tunes as "base maps"...

It would be fantastically cost prohibitive for most folks to duplicate what we've been able to do on the dyno and that's part of the issue with standalones in general. It's one thing to get a car to run well at WOT. To nicely fill in the area under the curve, various temp, tip-in, knock compensations, etc takes 1,000s of dollars of dyno time.
I have I dunno how many dozens of hours on my dyno improving various parameters within the stock Lotus map. In practice, it only make sense to share that information with #4 buyers as well so that they have a better base map to work from rather than a stock Lotus map. That's the current model anyway. Subject to change over time, etc...

I've posted some screen shots in the past comparing "other's" maps relative to Lotus maps and our maps relative to Lotus maps. While others tweak 1 to up to 4 or so definitions in the map from a Lotus map, we tweak well over 50 definitions!

Best,

Phil

post #19 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 05:36 PM

Phil/Michael,

On the Injector Latency Time, it says milliseconds (ms). Is this supposed to be microseconds (us)? 700 milliseconds is a long time.
post #20 of 247 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Phil/Michael,

On the Injector Latency Time, it says milliseconds (ms). Is this supposed to be microseconds (us)? 700 milliseconds is a long time.
The units were originally wrong. It was corrected quite some time ago but since the next version won't be released until the T4 support is ready for delivery the files were not updated. Phil could send you a new copy of lotusbase.def and it would fix the issue.

-Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Control (ECU)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in