BOE Clam Hinges For Sale!!! - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM

Dave - You're using the challenger grill right? Can you post up a few pics when you're on tilt next time of the exhaust hangar attachments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Pics Posted

Look, everybody is doing it

We were in deep test fitting some new hardware on Dark's car the other night and of course my clam is up pretty much all the time for one thing or the other. (Andrew (Bud) and "western" Dave pictured)..

Best,

Phil
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #43 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM

i started the clam removal today. the amount of dust/dirt i found in everything is surprising. when i remove it, the acceleration should improve...
it'll go slowly for me, i have time to do it as i get time.
the plastic fixings on the inside of the roll bar are a real pain when they won't work properly. i wound up drilling the stud heads off and punching the remaining part through. then the outer comes out ok. i think i have new ones in stock, but they aren't that expensive.
also, i found a bad area in the tail light harness, where some acid was eating at a spot. glad i'm doing this because i'd never have noticed otherwise.
no problem to fix, may add some cable length there anyway.
sam

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!

post #44 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM

First, a big thanks to Phil for putting this kit together. The engineering & quality are top notch.

I installed this on my 2006 Exige last weekend. I finally had a chance to take some final installation pictures, and here are a few. I will be doing a full write up later with some installation notes. There were a few differences from the Elise installation, but nothing too tricky. I know Phil can slap one on an Elise in a few hours, but it really is an all weekend, take your time, do things right the first time kinda project.

It takes me about 15 minutes to go from a fully assembled Exige to one with a tilted rear clam. That includes removing the hard top.

Anyway, enough blabbing, on with the pictures.

edit: resized pics.
Attached Images

'05 LRG Elise
'06 CO Exige - sold
'09 ST Exige S260 - sold

Last edited by xeeeejme; 12-13-2008 at 02:38 PM.
post #45 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 02:16 PM

i keep reading about "a few little things that need to be removed" on the exige.

Is this just the cable, side scoops and ___________?

2008 Aspen White Exige S240: SOLD
E30GTR: 500WHP/400FTLB Open to offers...
http://www.onyxsyndicate.com/newman
post #46 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
i keep reading about "a few little things that need to be removed" on the exige.

Is this just the cable, side scoops and ___________?

1. Remove hardtop
2. Remove hardtop mount - 1 bolt. Both sides.
3. Unscrew 1 thumb bolt through roll hoop. Both sides.
4. Remove side scoop - 3 bolts. Both sides. (Exige only)
5. Remove 1 thumb bolt connecting clam to rocker panel. Both sides.
6. Remove 4 thumb bolts holding boot to subframe.
7. Disconnect tail light and alarm harnesses and pull into engine bay.
8. Remove engine cover latch/cable - two bolts. Lay in engine bay. (Exige only)
9. Remove washer fluid reservoir.
10. Tilt.
11. ???
12. Profit.

'05 LRG Elise
'06 CO Exige - sold
'09 ST Exige S260 - sold
post #47 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeeejme View Post
1. Remove hardtop
2. Remove hardtop mount - 1 bolt. Both sides.
3. Unscrew 1 thumb bolt through roll hoop. Both sides.
4. Remove side scoop - 3 bolts. Both sides. (Exige only)
5. Remove 1 thumb bolt connecting clam to rocker panel. Both sides.
6. Remove 4 thumb bolts holding boot to subframe.
7. Disconnect tail light and alarm harnesses and pull into engine bay.
8. Remove engine cover latch/cable - two bolts. Lay in engine bay. (Exige only)
9. Remove washer fluid reservoir.
10. Tilt.
11. ???
12. Profit.

For someone who did not mind cutting and extending the factory wiring harness, could step 7 be deleted?

Do you think a new longer cable could eliminate step 8?

post #48 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
For someone who did not mind cutting and extending the factory wiring harness, could step 7 be deleted?

Do you think a new longer cable could eliminate step 8?

#1- Yes, acouple guys have cut the tail light harness and extended it down to the pivot and ran down the frame. Works like a charm. Cuts an additional 15 secoonds out of the job

#2 The cable is obviously only for the Exige guys. Not a step for the Elise... In any event, I'm sure you could...

Best,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #49 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
#1- Yes, acouple guys have cut the tail light harness and extended it down to the pivot and ran down the frame. Works like a charm. Cuts an additional 15 secoonds out of the job

#2 The cable is obviously only for the Exige guys. Not a step for the Elise... In any event, I'm sure you could...

Best,

Phil
Well what takes an additional 12 minutes on the exige vs. elise?

The only things i see are side scoops and release cable...

Which is the big time consuming part?

post #50 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Side scoop has those little hex screws that strip real easy. Got to take your time on those, already had to buy one set of them. The time can probably be pretty close if you are using power tools and rushing it. I'm sure I could knock off some time on my tranny pull too if I rushed things. I just prefer not to so I don't miss anything and do it right each time.

Takes me a few mins on the hatch release cable too. I remove the cable, not the full assembly so I take my time so as to not mess up the little plastic tabs.

Normally takes me 15-20mins now. Takes longer to find a 2nd person to help me lift it up.

Xeeeejme, are you lifting yours solo?
post #51 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:25 PM

The hex screws are even more of a pain to find a source if you have the Reverie Carbon Side Scoop. The hex screws are a lot longer and the thread pattern is not a standard, instead its a metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZ View Post
Side scoop has those little hex screws that strip real easy. Got to take your time on those, already had to buy one set of them. The time can probably be pretty close if you are using power tools and rushing it. I'm sure I could knock off some time on my tranny pull too if I rushed things. I just prefer not to so I don't miss anything and do it right each time.

Takes me a few mins on the hatch release cable too. I remove the cable, not the full assembly so I take my time so as to not mess up the little plastic tabs.

Normally takes me 15-20mins now. Takes longer to find a 2nd person to help me lift it up.

post #52 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Are there any more of these in stock??

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #53 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 05:52 PM

I tried lifting solo, but wasn't able to. I think once I get the hang of exactly how the hinge motion works, I probably could do it myself in a pinch. It's best to have one person on either side of the car though, in my opinion.

On the latch cable, I couldn't get the cable out easily & didn't want to mess up the plastic bits in the assembly. So I just take out the two bolts. (after I had eliminated the silly emergency hatch release tab in the boot that connects to the assembly as well).

As for the side scoops, I am going to look into some 1/4 turn fasteners for those to cut down on the time when I get bored again one weekend. Spending several hours engineering a solution to save 2 minutes...priceless!

Quote:

'05 LRG Elise
'06 CO Exige - sold
'09 ST Exige S260 - sold
post #54 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
Are there any more of these in stock??
BM,

As of this weekend, Yip

Adam,

Shipping tomorrw

All, by switching the battery to the firewall, it makes tilting much easier! just a FWIW... I'll have that "update" after the first of the year... Not sure if it will make the Exige clam a one person job or not, but it helps a bunch if you don't mind moving the batt...

Best,

Phil

post #55 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 AM

I need the batt moved. Still won't be a one man job though. Clam is just too heavy and no good leverage points...
post #56 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I need the batt moved. Still won't be a one man job though. Clam is just too heavy and no good leverage points...
I can get gas springs for next to nothing...

I'm really thinking about trying to pick one of these up and R&D some solutions to make this a little more user friendly...

1100 bucks is a lot of scratch though... but i know a lot of R&D went into this...

post #57 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:28 AM

If you come up with a gas spring solution to make the kit more user-friendly, I'm sure you could sell a few to offset the cost of the kit. I'd probably get one.

'05 LRG Elise
'06 CO Exige - sold
'09 ST Exige S260 - sold
post #58 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 07:35 AM

At this point though, the only thing i have to go on is some Pics on the web... I can talk and talk all i want, but until i actually get my hands on some stuff, i can't really do much more.

Christ, I haven't even picked up my exige yet. HAHA.

However, i think that the task is something i could tackle...

However, i really should be working THIS:
E30GTR-BUILD HOME
not my exige.

Sorry for the threadjack. Turbophil, where are you located. Maybe we could work together on this?

post #59 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 AM

xeeeejme

Thank you for posting pics of your install. I find it to be a lot more complicated than I originally expected - I didn't realize you would have to pull out those interior pieces and the seats.

I think this process is going to be just a little more complicated on the S or Supercharged cars. There needs to be something to disconnect the duct to the intercooler to allow the clam to pivot.

I will be interested to see how your clam holds up over the long run. Will bumps cause stress to the fiberglass - will raising and lowering put strain on parts of the clam not designed for holding weight -

Not saying this will happen - because I don't know - just curious how well things stay together and weather or not the clam starts to get stress cracks.
post #60 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

It's definitely a weekend project, but I didn't find anything too tricky. I was trying to think in my mind how I would address the intercooler duct issue, but it's tough since I don't have one to play around with. With that being said, if you have any questions about the rest of the install, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
xeeeejme

Thank you for posting pics of your install. I find it to be a lot more complicated than I originally expected - I didn't realize you would have to pull out those interior pieces and the seats.

I think this process is going to be just a little more complicated on the S or Supercharged cars. There needs to be something to disconnect the duct to the intercooler to allow the clam to pivot.

I will be interested to see how your clam holds up over the long run. Will bumps cause stress to the fiberglass - will raising and lowering put strain on parts of the clam not designed for holding weight -

Not saying this will happen - because I don't know - just curious how well things stay together and weather or not the clam starts to get stress cracks.

'05 LRG Elise
'06 CO Exige - sold
'09 ST Exige S260 - sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in