BOE Clam Hinges For Sale!!! - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Probably Lurking

That thread is 13 pages long. Is there an FAQ? For example,

I have a stock muffler. Can I use the rear panel delete? What happens if I don't? Which aftermarket muffler is most like stock and fully compatible?

What does the support bar look like? Have cracks happened?

Can you still access the battery terminals easily?

etc.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-18-2010 at 06:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Most of the guys I know with accusumps and cup cars have relo'd the sump to behind the seats. They do this to shorten the hose, thus shorten the pressure up time (by ???? milliseconds) that the a-sump provides to the system during pressure loss... In doing this, yes you can use the hinge just fine... Otherwise, if you left the a-sump in the boot, you would have to replace the oil line with a longer one, which I don't think is a good idea.

An additional benefit to the hinge for the track rat, is that we offer an option to relocate the battery to the passenger side of the car forward of the engine on the frame rail-- under the filler neck. This gets you much better weight distribution

Cheers,

Phil
Do you have any pics of these units relocated within the engine bay? I am planning several track upgrades over the winter and this would be a great addition.

2007 Lotus 255 Cup, AP BBK F&R, Innovative mounts, RLS CF Intercooler heat shield, Railer diffuser, Custom hood Pins, gPan, Saikou Michi oil cc, RLS AL Intercooler tubes, Radium FST, 2Bular GT3 8X24, RLS suplemental IC Scoops, APR canards, CF rear wing, CF Scoops, Radium Fuel Rail and AN fuel pump adapter, AN fuel lines, 2bular decat and headers.
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM
FIL

Is there a good video of this in action? I'm curious how it works. How is the fitment of the clam. How securely it closes. what fasteners are used. that sort of stuff.

05' Elise - REV400, PPE Header, Quaife LSD, Ohlins, BOE Silent Touch, LETSLA, ACT HDSS, Fidanza flywheel, BOE CAB Intake, BOE Catch Can, V2 Fuel Tank, V2 Steering Arms, BWR sway bar, ForcedFed CF splitter, Manly's engine mounts, All Mesh Grilles, Volk CE28 wheels

post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Hi Shawn,

Of course you can modify or change the installation to meet your particular needs/desires, but I'll address your questions based off the *intent* of the design. That said, many folks have made modifcations to the kit to make it fit their particular needs...

>>That thread is 13 pages long. Is there an FAQ? For example, <<

I don't have a formal FAQ, but happy to field questions.

>>I have a stock muffler. Can I use the rear panel delete?<<

Our rear panel does not work with the stock mufflers. I didn't realize anyone still had one That said those that kept the stock muffler elected to keep the rear panel. In which case I have special installation instructions for keep the stock rear panel that I won't get into here. I will say that retaining the stock rear panel takes a lot of the "coolness" out of the kit since keeping the panel adds a layer of complexity to tilting... I think it was "MilehiTom" on the forum here that recently did this... for a while... then he later ditched the the OE rear panel and OE exhaust and is much happier now...

>>What happens if I don't? Which aftermarket muffler is most like stock and fully compatible?<<

All the after market exhausts fit and are compatible that I know of... Anything from Sector111 or BWR should work nicely... Closest to stock sound is going to be any of the quieter options... 8" larini, BWR/BOE Silent touch, etc... This would be a great opportunity to upgrade to the after market system to save weight, lower the temps out back, etc... The stock muffler is a pretty terrible part.

>>What does the support bar look like?<<

There are pics of the old support bar in the instructions on my website. It tied the two hinges for the boot lid together... I don't have a separate pic handy on this computer but will assemble a pic short order. We recently redesigned the support bar to tie into the drip rail of the boot and the hinges to provide even more support when the clam is up and the lid propped open. It's when the lid is propped open with the clam up that the strain is the greatest on the thin Fglass that the lid hinges mounts to. There are a few instances where someone's shirt tail or similar will catch on the open lid while tilted up that will cause a crack. I always suggest to close the lid when tilted up to avoid this, but sometimes "we" forget Out of the 100+ units out there, I've only heard of this a couple times, but that's enough for me to address it. I've obviously had my hinge kit the longest and never had a problem, but.....
With this new support bar, there is even more support to help prevent this cracking issue. We'll be offering this as a very inexpensive upgrade for anyone with the kit and a standard part going forward.

>>Have cracks happened?<<

As per above, very rarely and when they have, it's always an operator "oops"...

>>Can you still access the battery terminals easily?<<

Yes and no... With the clam down, they're pretty hard to get to, but NOT impossible. With the clam up, no problem at all, as the battery is *right there*... This of course is part of the point. With the tilting clam, you have amny more options for mounting of components, cleaning, modifying, etc... We do offer an alternative battery mounting option to keep the battery in the boot. We use cable extensions in this instance. This is the original way we did it. We switch the current default location in the engine bay quite a long while ago because it's just "better" that way... Some will fix battery tender cables to the battery after relocation for easier "remote" access...

>>Will the clamhinge work with a Supercharger system?<<

Is the Pope Catholic?

I just don't have great pics on this computer, but the attached PDF has several images of the rear panel. 1 ont he dyno with a stock diffuser, and two with our diffuser... Those should give you an idea... Despite the pics all being with above diffuser exhausts, it works fine with below diffuser exhausts as well... I've seen some really nice work by a few our clients who covered the rear panel with a black mesh for a more stealthy look. They turned out very nice

Hope that helps!

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: pdf diff-panel.pdf (174.1 KB, 313 views)

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIL View Post
Is there a good video of this in action? I'm curious how it works. How is the fitment of the clam. How securely it closes. what fasteners are used. that sort of stuff.
Fil-

Panel fitment is not changed so it's as good or bad as it ever was... it is a Lotus afterall.LOL

Video is here: BOEFabrication.com | Beyond Original Equipment and then gotothe video tab toward the center of the page...

No vibration and it's plenty secure. I track very frequently at speeds well over 130mph (true MPH, not the optomistic indicated number on the dash) with a big wing on the rear. No issues at all... There are dozens and dozens of others that do the same with this system...

Fasteners are described in the instructions. Nothing complex or heavy... There's typically a net weight loss from the installation... And often times people eliminate the normal rattles that the lotus has since they can easier find the location of the rattle with the clam up and snub it

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erubin View Post
Do you have any pics of these units relocated within the engine bay? I am planning several track upgrades over the winter and this would be a great addition.
I haven't seen it located in the bay... just behind the seats on the shelf above the gas tank. Then create a new hose that's shorter and with BETTER FITTINGS than the junk Lotus used. I've heard stories of the stock Lotus fittings on the Asump failing. Lotus really struggles with making a good oil fitting I personally don't believe in the Asump for our cars and would delete it from yours and just run a good pan... To each their own

Happy to help on any upgrades over the winter. We're building a bunch of cars in the off season as well. Craziness

post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Despite the pics all being with above diffuser exhausts, it works fine with below diffuser exhausts as well... I've seen some really nice work by a few our clients who covered the rear panel with a black mesh for a more stealthy look. They turned out very nice

Hope that helps!

Phil
Thanks, If the below diffuser exhausts work, what is it about the stock exhaust that complicates things?

If you or anyone else could post pics with the black mesh that would be great. The open look is not for me.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Thanks, If the below diffuser exhausts work, what is it about the stock exhaust that complicates things?

If you or anyone else could post pics with the black mesh that would be great. The open look is not for me.
I'm interested in this too. What he said ^^^
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM

For those who want to keep the rear panel...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/c...r-panel-70081/
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Our rear panel does not work with the stock mufflers. I didn't realize anyone still had one That said those that kept the stock muffler elected to keep the rear panel. In which case I have special installation instructions for keep the stock rear panel that I won't get into here. I will say that retaining the stock rear panel takes a lot of the "coolness" out of the kit since keeping the panel adds a layer of complexity to tilting... I think it was "MilehiTom" on the forum here that recently did this... for a while... then he later ditched the the OE rear panel and OE exhaust and is much happier now...

Phil
When I got my hinge, Phil and Andrew (the BOE team) whipped together a few extra thumb screws and made it fairly easy to use the rear panel and oem exhaust. Before raising the clam, I'd have to drop the rear diffuser by removing the two large bolts underneath and then the thumb screws. I could raise the clam in his configuration in under five minutes. We pulled the heat shield and the boot did get quite hot in the summer.

After flipping the lid a few times, I realized the rear panel delete and a much lighter exhaust would be the perfect complement to the hinge. So back to Phil's I went for the Silent Touch (11 pounds!) and we installed the rear panel delete brace. Now, the heat flows out, the temps are few degrees lower and the boot is much cooler temp wise). Now, the rear clam is held in place by two thumb screws and the two rear soft top brace fittings. I can open it in under a minute (and I do often).

It is currently my best mod...but will soon move down to second on the list

Tom
Attached Images

post #91 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Probably Lurking

Is that a stock U-bend? Is heat around there an issue? I was thinking I'd wrap mine.

Did you retain any heat shielding, especially around the links?

Is your tail pipe angled up?

How do you like the ST sound vs. stock?

post #92 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Is that a stock U-bend? Is heat around there an issue? I was thinking I'd wrap mine.
Yep, stock U-bend. I prefer to keep it unwrapped, since a wrap can trap moisture and heat is expelled so quickly that the whole exhaust system cools down rapidly after a session or a hard drive. I daily drive mine and have had no scorching of the clam or carbon build-up.

Quote:
Did you retain any heat shielding, especially around the links?
All heat shielding was pulled. There is still the shield glued to the underside of the trunk, however.

Quote:
Is your tail pipe angled up?
My tail pipe is basically level but it's easily adjustable when installing the Silent Touch. It's very dry in Colorado and the tail pipe is essentially flush with the body so it would be very difficult for water to get in. I'm careful when washing to spray from high to low, though.

Quote:
How do you like the ST sound vs. stock?
The sound, only slightly louder, is much "warmer." The old 3000 rpm drone is gone and, when you get on it, it does open up. Plus, when the material inside fills up with carbon or becomes brittle from heating and cooling, it's easily repackable.

Tom
post #93 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
In addition, we have recently lowered the price to $900. While the website does not reflect this change, you'll receive an immediate credit upon purchasing to reflect the new price... Happy holidays!
Ok, so I'm sold. I just ordered one! I'll have to check my statement to make sure it credits it down to only costing $900. Now I just have to find the time to get it all installed! (and maybe a new exhaust while I'm at it)
post #94 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks Brian!

Sale rebate has been issued.

We have a couple very good exhaust systems sold through Blackwatch Racing, in the case they might be your cup of tea. No worries if not.

Happy Turkey Day!

Phil

post #95 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briphi View Post
Ok, so I'm sold. I just ordered one! I'll have to check my statement to make sure it credits it down to only costing $900. Now I just have to find the time to get it all installed! (and maybe a new exhaust while I'm at it)
Good move. I'll beat the dead horse. BOE clam hinge, best mod money can buy.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #96 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Smile

Got the clam hinge installed, everything went smoothly!

I still have the stock exhaust and a red top battery in the boot, so to hinge I have to:

1. Unhook the battery and feed the wires out of the boot.
2. Unhook the windshield washer reservoir.
3. Remove the diffuser.
4. Remove the rear panel.
5. Remove the 10 attachment points that secure the clam (thumb screws).

Getting a non-stock exhaust will eliminiate steps 3 and 4. Getting a new battery and relocating it will eliminate step 1.

Is there something I can do to eliminate the need for having to mount/unmount my windshield washer reservoir each time I want to hinge? I know it's minor, but still annoying! Anyone have an idea?
post #97 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Congrats!

Now here's a couple things you can doto make it even easier with the OE rear panel..

1) replace the two fasteners on the outer portion of the diffuser that attach to the clam with thumb bolts (just like the ones you used in the kit).

2) Replace the 3 fasteners that attach the rear panel to the calm, located inside the boot, with just one M6 thumb bolt...

THen wehen you want to tilt, you have 4 additional steps that are quite easy.

1) remove one thumb screw in boot.
2) remove 1 each thumb screw on either side of the diffuser that fix the diffuser to the clam
3) remove the two bolts that fix the diffuser to the rear cross member.
3a) Leave diffuser and rear panel fixed together
4) drop the rear panel/diffuser assembly, which is still fixed to the very flexible under tray to the ground.

Tilt!

It's very easy to leave the rear panel in place...

Also, If you need battery cable extensions, let me know...

We used to keep the battery in the boot but have since relocated it to the engine bay for multiple reasons. If you want, I'll swap you battery trays, so that you can have a boot mounted battery with cable extensions in lieu of the engine bay mounted battery... Just send me an email if you want that...

RE the washer tank. Some have drilled out the rivets that hold the mount to the calm and made a relocation kit to a fastener by the coolant tank. Others have extended the wires and hose, but that gets to be a mess in there... Most just take the washer tank off the pedestal for tilting or remove it all together...

Hope that helps

Phil

post #98 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Relapsing Honda fan

For the washer bottle, I extended the hose and wiring, it's a much more professional install that way. Extended the third brake light too and added a harness behind the remaining wheel well liner so when i want to remove the whole clam (new color coming soon) wires won't be an issue.
post #99 of 116 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Good job, yellow

post #100 of 116 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM

hinge

phil,
I ordered clam hinge.I'd like to know when it'll be shipped out since my car 'll be at the shop for another week before putting the rear clam shell back on

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in