BOE TOWING BARS- VERY limited Supply - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorparkian View Post
Do you have pics of your tool box and where did you splice into the light harness? Do you have the Boe Clam Hinge

Thanks
I've attached a photo that kind of shows the box. I bought it at Lowes and it's a plastic tool box that's big enough to hold my jack and tools. They have plenty to choose from and I just picked on that fit my needs. Figure out what you want to carry and pick one out.

The wiring was dead simple. I'd never done this before and was apprehensive about doing it but I picked up a wiring kit at the local auto parts store for $25 and just followed the directions. It's really easy to do on the Elise since all the wires as just hanging there and easy to get all. I've since done this same thing to my Jetta wagon and that was MUCH more of a PITA. The Elise was easy.

I don't have the clam hinge.

I've used the trailer to get to solo events about 5 times so far this year and it is super easy to use. It tows like it's not there and it's great having everything in one place once I get to the event. I used to stuff the car with crap and now 95% of the stuff is on the trailer and I don't need to load/unload the car. I highly recommend this if you need to get to events and carry tires and tools.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:08 AM

Garage
Been using one of the originals since they first came out. Just re-did my trailer. I used to have the same box as shown, but this time I put a bigger box on it, and am very glad I did. I carry a craftsman racing jack, smallish battery hamerdrill, battery rachet, Some tools, an air station built from a battery charger and a truck tire pumping unit (overbuilt), helmet, duffle with rain gear etc, . It used to fill up but now it's spacious. At this point I'm not sure I want to fill it up the new one for fear of making the tongue weight too heavy for me to lift easily (it's like 75-80lbs now, "easy" is already debatable).

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
post #163 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Pics!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com

post #164 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 02:06 PM

How are you guys putting a floor/bottom on this Harbor Freight trailer?
post #165 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavila View Post
How are you guys putting a floor/bottom on this Harbor Freight trailer?
Last time I used pressure treated plywood, but I decided I wanted to simplify construction at the cost of a bit more $ and weight. Last time I did bolts through the bottom of the box but it was nigh unto impossible to tighten the bolt without help (I eventually managed it by wedging a screw in to keep the bolt from turning but that was hell). This time I bought 2x12 pressure treated lumber, and that allowed me to simply lag the box down with 5/16 lag bolts.

Pressure treated wood is key if you are storing it outdoors.

As for pics, I'll try to remember to take a pic next time I have it loaded up. One thing I notice about the picture above is that the tires are only tied down with one strap, which is a single point of failure. The liability from tires bouncing down the highway behind you could get steep! Might be good to build in some redundancy.

When I strap mine down I recall the advice for setting up rock climbing top ropes... RENE

Redundant
Equalized
No
Extentions

Both redundant systems should bear load equally during use, and both should be bearing the load "straight on" such that in the event of a failure of one the other will already be taut and prevent acceleration of the load.

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

post #166 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 PM
...call me a space cowboy

Thanks for the Pics

I like the idea of not having all my track gear in the passenger seat. With your explanation Dave, seems straight forward on connecting the trailer lights. Thanks to all for your perspectives.

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #167 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM

I often tow trailers that are 2-3x heavier than my truck, so I don't think a few hundred lbs on an Elise would be a problem. (truck is 7300lbs... trailer sometimes is 25,000-30,000lbs)

Of course slow down and don't corner like you are autocrossing while towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsparv View Post
Having ordered one, I intend to be exceedingly cautious with what I tow... Besides the question of the bolts breaking, there is the issue of wearing out or bending the attach points on the vehicle to worry about. Remember just cause it doesn't fall off the first time doesn't mean some part of it isn't going to wear out after 5, 10 or 20 times and, there's the question of wear and tear on clutch, transmission, etc. 400-500 lbs is 25% the weight of the vehicle... (before passengers). That would make me nervous, but I'm not an expert...
BOE, how much tongue weight can your bar handle?
post #168 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Exact tongue weight? I have no idea--- I'd say "adequate" and "use common sense". Over the years, we've seen people haul around anything from Thistle sail boats to luggage racks full back there.

We do have a couple left in stock ready to ship and a handful that are 90%....

Cheers,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #169 of 184 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 AM

Garage
FWIW - I installed my bar and then as a test stood on the ball and bounced my 185 pounds up/down on it without issue. I just wanted to see if it could deal with that and it was fine.

I have my trailer set up so that the tongue weight is about 30 pounds and it tows very well. My entire trailer and load is about 300 pounds and it all works very well.

Dave
post #170 of 184 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:49 AM

Finally getting the Lotus wired to tow a trailer
Attached Images

Richard 2006 Elise
post #171 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:22 AM

How has long term been on these guys? Did anyone come up with a solution to using the with 5 element diffusers?
post #172 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:29 AM

I towed my race motorcycle on harbor freight trailer....no issues! Get lots of look at the track when you show up though....but not as bad as when I use my mini cooper!

2005 Elise, Graphite Grey (soon to be nightfall blue), Ohlins DA, VF2 SC, Volk wheels, LSD, and pretty much everything else on this lemon.
post #173 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:56 AM

Garage
Zero long term issues. Been towing the 2wheel 48" tires + tuffbox trailer since 2009 no issues. Probably ~250lbs trailer weight, tongue weight, is over 80 when the tongue it's on the ground, but probably under 50 when hooked up. I too have conducted the step/bounce test though not aggressively.

Actually... I'm on my second trailer, but still on original hitch and elise. AMNE once claimed that the "bolts were frozen" to justify extra labor costs... the same bolts that I take out and put back in EVERY race with my battery powered rachet... (like 20 times a year).

Last edited by fsparv; 06-14-2016 at 09:14 AM.
post #174 of 184 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 PM

Sorry if I missed this on a prior page, but are these compatible with either:
1) Clam Hinge
2) Extended diffusors such as difflow?

Just wondering if it's an either/or if I wanted to add a tow bar.
post #175 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 PM

We need another run of these!!!! Race seasons coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just your average joe.
post #176 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:54 PM

These tow bars are awesome, you can even pull smaller vehicles!
Attached Images

post #177 of 184 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 AM

@andy1 looks like you've got the two bar AND a difflow diffuser? Do tell! I thought those were mutually exclusive due to how the tow bars would have to mount under the diffuser.
SLKado likes this.
post #178 of 184 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:21 AM

Absolutely stunning bit of kit (apart for the drilling bit that is).
I wish a fabricator would make a similar one (but without any drilling required) to fit a boxster so I could carry my bike instead of having to drive the truck.
You lot are really lucky to have someone able and inclined to produce and sell quality custom parts.
You could fit a roof/bike rack to the 986 boxster and the 987 cayman using oem accessories, any other boxster/cayman is a no go, Porsche really screwed up, talk about progress.
While it would make sense to me for 3rd party parts to be available to cater for this I have found nothing that is usable without leaving a mark.
The closest I could find to meet my requirements is this BOE Tow Bar 2.0 creation, too bad it is for the wrong car and requires drilling! (already mentioned twice).
I am sure for an extensively modified track weapon this is no issue. Anyway if you know of any fabricator in the states or europe that would be able to produce a removable hitch for a 987.2 boxster without any modifications to car and be able to bear the weight of a 1up rack and two bikes (I will also settle for one bike let me know!
post #179 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Just a heads up, we made another batch of these labor intensive little guys.

Probably one of the most enjoyable and obscure additions you can make to the "Elige".

We have many, many dozens of these around the world pulling their track or camping trailers, thistle sail boats, etc.

They really are quite neat and very functional.

BOE Tow Bars

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #180 of 184 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:48 AM

Garage
Sweet! This solves me having to load up the passenger seat. The link takes you to the BOE site but there is no details on the installation. The website shows it mounted with a Difflow diffuser, so that answers one of my questions. How easy is it to remove after you get to the track? Or can you leave it on without hurting air flow too much?

Last edited by SS Lotus Elise; 08-28-2017 at 05:07 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in