Finally, A real air filter - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thumbs up Finally, A real air filter

I realize that not everyone needs or wants an aftermarket intake for the Elise/Exige. They're expensive and "overkill" in many instances for folks running 250whp (dynojet) or so or less. In addition, we all know that a tune modification is best for those who switch to an aftermarket intake as well...

After getting frustrated with the panel filters from K&N, green filter, and Cup air boxes, we started using the ITG foam filters in place of the stock air filter. The cloth filters like that of the K&N and Green clog way too quickly. Tire particulates can clog them up in a single track weekend Cup boxes are disasters with the adapter concept. The only thing that is good about them is that they have more filter area so they take slightly longer to clog than the standard size filters. In addition to how quickly those cloth filters clog, the fitment was just terrible which made the frequent service intervals very frustrating. ITG has solved these issues by making a proper foam filter for the OE box and they paid attention to the fitment issues so servicing the filter is a breeze by comparison to the others (not to mention much less frequent)...

We're just now putting these on the site and thought those not "in the know" might find them interesting...

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

Cheers,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:40 AM
ERP

Any plans to make an ITG filter for the Cup Airbox?

2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Penske Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
Tesla S P85D - Wife's daily driver
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 05:43 AM
2006 Exige

Garage
Do you have to spray oil on it like a K&N? How do you clean it?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Good question-- and another annoyance of fabric filters is the light-weight oil that always finds its way to the MAF and IAC (for DBC cars). The foam filters use an entirely different kind of oil.

Foam filter oil from No-Toil, for an example, spray on thin. You work the oil into the filter and then let the oil setup/dry for an hour or two... Once it drys, it become very tacky-- a bit like "bar and chain oil" for those who work in the yard This tacky oil stays in the filter and typically doesn't make a mess of the MAF sensor like KN oil does...

We pre-oil all the ITG filters before shipping, so the first oiling is on us. You can surely go a few oil changes between cleanings under normal use without worrying about performance degradation... On the other hand, fabric filters should really be cleaned every oil change or after every long track weekend, as the tire particulates will clog them up.

Best,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 PM

just ordered! thx
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Great

Installation and care notes are found here:

BOE Fabrication - Lotus Elise, Exige, and Evora Performance ECM Tuning Products

Cheers,

Phil

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 PM

NoToil is probably the single greatest invention of all time. I've used it in races that had me coughing up dirt out of my lungs days later, but my engine has always been spotless.

BTW, Oxy Clean is a cheap alternative to the NoToil cleaner.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 PM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGeek View Post
NoToil is probably the single greatest invention of all time. I've used it in races that had me coughing up dirt out of my lungs days later, but my engine has always been spotless.

BTW, Oxy Clean is a cheap alternative to the NoToil cleaner.
It's pretty controversial in the dirt bike world, especially on the KTM Technical forum. Lots of fairly detailed threads on it not filtering properly. I have no direct experience with it other than reading those threads.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:19 AM

I've got and itg on my (mostly) street Elise. It was put on by the first owner who did some tracking. I've been told by the manufacturer that for my use, I may be able to go 50k miles before needing to clean and re-oil the filter. IN addition I get a few more HP out of the engine. I've never seen this install on any other Elise, and it's a tight fit in there but I've had no issues with it.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 PM

i installed mine through the engine bay. Tight fit but beats installing through the wheel well. Feels good!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Garage
You should offer that fancy cone filter ITG makes also. You can see it in one of the pics for your fuel surge tank. It would work great for my k series swap

Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound. -JC
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 AM

itg cone filter in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by one11 View Post
You should offer that fancy cone filter ITG makes also. You can see it in one of the pics for your fuel surge tank. It would work great for my k series swap
Don't know if this is the itg you are talking about, but this is my itg Maxogen installed.
Attached Images

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
Any plans to make an ITG filter for the Cup Airbox?
We get an answer on this?

Sport Elise #45 - Lotus Sport Wheels, 888s, Really Light Stuff Oil Line Kit, Raptor Exhaust, ACT Clutch, Jim Clayton Built Head, Maintained by RRTracing.com
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOlson View Post
We get an answer on this?
Doubt it, Phil isnt a fan of the Cup Air Box from my readings on the boards.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Cup box is ok if you like poor air filtering and an even more frustrating filter replacement process than the stock box...

We just built a car that had a TeRD (cup box) on it. It was the nastiest intake tract I've seen in a long time. Filter was pretty clean but plenty of track and road dust made it through that goofy adapter system

If you want to increase the potential airflow, a round ITG box like we use on the rev400 works great. It forces symmetrical airflow for good MAF metering and cleans air VERY well while still flowing well when it's dirty (foam filters work better than cloth when dirty). It also helps with air velocity when compared to OE airbox (stock or "cup"). These ITG boxes are a massive improvement over the cone on a tube... Outside of that, the stock box is the way to go, IMO. I've been dynoing these cars for quite a long while now and just haven't seen a nickel's worth of benefit to the cup box--- only drawbacks....

Take care,

Phil

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:00 PM

Phil do you sell the ITG box separately?

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

I do...Depends on the application.

The BA ITG box comes with the Rev400 kit. It's optional equipment on the 300 and 310. We have different sized MAF pipes and tunes to go with...

The box is about $400 and you need a tune to run it...

Cheers,

Phil

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 AM

Is there a ITG Round Box Applicable to the OEM S/C ont the 07+ Exige S? I plan on a KF tune if that matters along with a bunch of other components. Just trying to complete all the components before reaching out for a tune. I bought the Cup Air Box new & Im deciding against it now...

Looking through the site, didnt see any pictures of the ITG box

Last edited by slightly2ned; 07-31-2012 at 09:29 AM.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Is this comparable to the round ITG airbox?

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...intake-118484/

Last edited by slightly2ned; 08-09-2012 at 11:35 AM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelsmith View Post
Don't know if this is the itg you are talking about, but this is my itg Maxogen installed.
Curious to hear more feedback for anyone that has used this on an Exige S? Quick Google mentioned:

Suitable for the Toyota powered Lotus Elise and Exige (except Elise S), this induction system is available with carbon fibre or aluminium air box. ITG is an F1 Manufacturer. Independant Performance testing has shown a large increase in power can be gained and will also give a massive torque improvements. This induction kit is a direct replacment for the standard production airbox. Each kit is supplied with easy to follow fitting instructions. Not only does it look good, the engine power/torque increases transform the overall engine performance.

Elise S
ITG can offer the this product in a format that will fit the Elise S, but when ITG tested the Maxogen on the Elise S they did not see any large power gains. If you would like to order a Maxogen kit for the Elise S please email us by clicking here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in