Half Carbon Front Lip spoiler - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM

Dave...great looking Elise

Storm Titanium, LSS, touring, hard top. my other car is a ...oh yeah i remember the other car...a spyder. no, wait. some dumb bitch ran a light and destroyed the spyder. now it is a 4 runner trail edition
club111 member. i tried to buy a lower spot and become member #13 but was spurned!

fun around every turn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:48 AM

After unpacking it I found the spoiler quite sturdy compared to some other carbon fiber pieces I have used in the past. The spoiler comes with no hardware or instructions. The spoiler does not come pre-drilled but there are dimples where holes are required. I drilled 3/8" holes in the middle rear and 3/16" holes in the front of the spoiler. The 3 middle rear holes utilize the existing bolts for the clam/undertray and were drilled slightly larger to allow alignment movement. A trip to the hardware store was required for 7- hex-head bolts (5mm x 20mm), 14- stainless steel fender washers, and 7- 5mm stainless steel nuts. I started the installation by driving the car up on ramps, I went ahead and placed the helper ramps constructed from 2" x 4" with 45 degree ends at the base of the ramps knowing they would be required for backing down post-install. Once up on ramps, I removed the 3 bolts that hold the undertray to the clam that are used for mounting the spoiler. Holding the spoiler centered under the car, I was able to start all three bolts and semi-tighten them, leaving them a little loose for alignment adjustments. Next I drilled the holes on each end, the bolts can be installed with fender washers on either side for uniform clamping and can be accessed in front of the wheel. I then drilled the center front hole, the access to this bolt is a little tight but can be accomplished by removing the center grille (held in by clips on top) and wedging your hand down behind the front license plate area. The remaining 4 bolt holes were drilled after tightening down the middle and end bolts, I found that the spoiler is pulled into an almost perfect fit after these bolts are tightened. I used the same bolts as elsewhere in these four holes but was able to get them hand tight without using nuts on top, if I find they get loose I can access these from the front wheel area with liner removed and install the washer/bolt. FYI, I did initially try self-tapping screws but found they offered little support when used with the fiberglass clam - it is worth the additional time to use bolts and nuts. I am pretty pleased with the results, gives the Elise a more finished look up front and is cheaper to sacrifice for survival of the front clam if it is ever bottomed out.

Bill
'11 Lotus Elise (Traded) , '05 Lotus Elise (Traded)

www.billswebspace.com/lotus

www.syntheticfirst.com
post #63 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3
....I am pretty pleased with the results, gives the Elise a more finished look up front and is cheaper to sacrifice for survival of the front clam if it is ever bottomed out.

Looks great! Now where's the rear wing?

post #64 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM

Group Buy status? I am in. undecided on CF or Fiberglass though both look sharp

AttAkker
-------------------------------------------
2004 Noble M12 GTO3R, 1990 Ferrari 348 TS, 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, 2006 Porsche Carrera S
post #65 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Nice add-on and great post. I think me needs to get one. Sheesh, the instructions you gave made me feel that I could do it myself and the only screwing I do is in the er, um, uh.....nevermind

Last edited by MethodX; 11-17-2006 at 01:55 PM.
post #66 of 97 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks guys, not sure if the rear wing is for me or not........as of now all of the small mods I wanted are done and the savings account for the FF275 has begun

Bill
'11 Lotus Elise (Traded) , '05 Lotus Elise (Traded)

www.billswebspace.com/lotus

www.syntheticfirst.com
post #67 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:41 AM

Installed the spolier yesterday. I used the same hardware as noted above. Since the nuts were rather small, I glued them on the fender washers.

2005 Storm Ti, LSS, Touring.
1969 Karmann Ghia Convertible.
post #68 of 97 (permalink) Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Excellent job on the install, much better than what I did. Mine ended up coming off on the way to Livermore, CA. The downforce on the spoiler ripped if off of the front bolts and only the three in the rear (which go into the chasis) were holding it on. However, I did not have the CF one, so it gave me a good excuse to upgrade.

btw, how do you like your Toyo T1R's (or is it TR1's)? I did not like mine very much. I had a 205 front, and my dry braking distances increased over my 175 Yoko's.

2009 Mini Cooper JCW - Dark Silver/Black - sport suspension/cold weather package
2008 997 GT3 - Carrara White/Black - PCCB's - 350 lbs of weight reduction

Past Lotus Cars: 2005 NFB Elise, 2007 CO Exige S, 2005 AR Elise, 2008 CO Exige S 240
post #69 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm still undecided which one i'd get of the two options. Anyone have pics (of either) on Racing Green?
post #70 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 01:49 PM

Without the rear wing: Does this not make the rear end come out even more.
Downforce in front, lack there of in the rear.

Has anyone felt the effects yet or is this just an expensive clam guard ?

Sndesign
post #71 of 97 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 AM

this is a very nice item.
maybe the best of every front splitter lip for Elise.
i say this because i would like a simple splitter like the Exige one, but it's impossibile to find one and maybe doesn't exist.

in past someone wrote this :
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...r+carbon+fiber
very very very nice item, but the member disappeared and no more pictures of his work.
maybe there was a big gap too with a lot of space from lip and clam of Elise and it is also impossible to find this item on the net.

now ForceFed is selling the first item for $. 399.00 and maybe i will order it, i wrote them to ask them for shipping cost (maybe too expensive for Italy) but they don't answer me and i don't receive any answer from them.

Max
post #72 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM

BIG help as always Bill!

Just ordered my FF splitter!

Grab Life by the Wheel
post #73 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 12:29 PM

installed mine and of course in my haste to make a car show forgot to put a washer between one of the bolts and it got yanked out at 130mph. but other than that i'm fully satisfied
post #74 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM

What were you doing at 130mph?

“The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts.”
Bertrand Russell

John 3:16
post #75 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Had mine installed earlier this week. Had the clam reinforced first before doing the install because I had bottomed out and scraped the winglets a little. The fiberglass looked thick and should hold it up really good. I would remove the access panel behind the 3 bolts to secure the bolts and use the largest washer available. Also be careful drilling into the clam as their is an oil line connecting the 2 oil coolers.

Henry
http://www.abendanio.com/
2005 Elise, AR, Touring, Sport, HT (RIP 10-6-08)
2005 Elise,Touring & Sport,Bordeaux Red Pearl + mods.
1986 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 1986 Toyota Pickup
post #76 of 97 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akandok View Post
What were you doing at 130mph?
Had to air dry the car after washing
post #77 of 97 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM

It's been many months of driving with the Forcedfed CF front spoiler and its a great product. Only thing it needed after almost a year was a touch-up. I decided to tape up the front of the car and paint the bottom half of the spolier to get rid of all the scrape marks and rock chips.

Before I painted it I sanded with a sanding sponge. I used Krylon Fusion in satin black and it came out looking brand new. If you look close on the right side you can see a larger scratched area..that was a curb from a track event but now it looks almost like a logo engraved in the side of the spolier. I could have used bondo or something to smooth it down but I really didnt care.

I just wanted to share an idea if your spoiler needs a touch up...came out great and took less than an hour.

2006 Elise - Chili Red - VF Supercharged and Intercooled Stg 3 - Custom tuned by CharlieX - 2.9" Pulley - Walbro 255 - RC 550cc's - Black Badges - Red Inserts - Grey RAC Monolites - Toyo R888's - South Bend SS-TZ - Fidanza Flywheel - FF CF front spoiler - Craftsquare CF Mirrors - Reverie CF Diffuser - 5" 2bular Ultra - PPE 4-1 FI Header w/ Decat - VonHep Rear Panel - Innovate XD-16/LC-1 - Mr.C Radar Mount - Clutch Travel Mod - Shifter Bolt Mod - re-ENFORCER - A/C Panel Mod - Odessey PC625
post #78 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM

ForcedFed,
I am interested in your spoiler/splitter like you did for Kaz.

I sent you an email but haven't heard from you guys (it's been a week).

I like to know the price, and if possible order one.

Your PM box is full!!!

2003 911 Turbo X50
2006 Lotus Elise VF2 and Reverie wings, 300hp and 300lbs of DF! Sold!
BMWCCA Instructor
post #79 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I did not see your email,,, I just re-checked and no email about the splitter.

Call for more information please .
post #80 of 97 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth G-F View Post
ForcedFed,
I am interested in your spoiler/splitter like you did for Kaz.

I sent you an email but haven't heard from you guys (it's been a week).

I like to know the price, and if possible order one.

Your PM box is full!!!
I'm also extremely interested in the exact same setup Kaz has. I too emailed forcedfed literally 1 year ago this month along with a few "reminders" here and there and haven't got a response. I mean, I can order it today if the price is right. Let a brotha know.

'05 Elise Starlight Black + Sport Pack on Red Leather (SOLD)
Exige Grills
| Arqray Single Tip Titanium| Rear Panel Eliminator | LIR Racing CF Side Scoops | raceVIEW CF Mirrors | Zoom CF Mirror | HIDs | 4.5lb battery | Sector111 Bootie | No Carpets or Sound Deadening Foam | Sector111 4Tress Bar w/ EZMount | reENFORCER | '06 LED Tail lights | SS Brake Lines | Green Filter & Desnorkeled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in