Intro: BC Racing Coilovers brought to you by Darkside Engineering - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
xtn
Registered User
 
xtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo Fondu View Post

Lotus Track Pack
front rate = 180 > 271 lbs (variable rate vs load) weight = ???
rear rate = 260 > 371 lbs (variable rate vs load) weight = ???
First time I've ever heard anybody say the Track Pack had variable rate springs!

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
xtn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Registered User
 
Darth G-F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,734
So K was for kg/mm. I should have thought of that...

Did they do any track testing for these coilover? How would they compare to the usual suspects (Nitron, Ohlins)?

2003 911 Turbo X50
2006 Lotus Elise VF2 and Reverie wings, 300hp and 300lbs of DF! Sold!
BMWCCA Instructor
Darth G-F is offline  
post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Registered User
 
Darth G-F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Quebec City
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
First time I've ever heard anybody say the Track Pack had variable rate springs!

xtn
Maybe they are progressive rate. Are they?

2003 911 Turbo X50
2006 Lotus Elise VF2 and Reverie wings, 300hp and 300lbs of DF! Sold!
BMWCCA Instructor
Darth G-F is offline  
 
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1
Hey guys, just wanted to jump in here and answer some questions.

These are single adjustable coilovers with 30 levels of damping, height adjustability, and can be ordered with custom spring rates.

The first kit we produced came with 5k/7k springs, and while they ride very well on the street they may be too soft for some. So we may jump up to a 6k/8k, or a 7k/9k setup for the OTS kits. If you know what rates you would like to run just specify at the time you place your order. Our kits are setup with a wide damping range, so if you want to go up or down 2k on your springrates the shocks do not have to be revalved. If you want to go higher than that, we will revalve the shocks for you so they match the springrates correctly.

Someone asked about running slicks, I would go with a 8k/10k or 10k/12k setup depending on your preference, leaning more towards 10k/12k though.

We personally have a G35 Time Attack car which we run our suspensions on. We also have a number of teams who run our systems and have been very pleased. So they have been tested and aren't some brand new, unheard of product.

Here is our website, which has information about our other coilovers we produce.

bc home


If anyone has any others questions just ask. Thanks.
post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
Registered User
 
Tristar Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgwilly31 View Post
I dont know man. This car is $40k+ sure. But this isnt a ferrari.

I dont neccesarily agree with your outlook on this.

If things work they work. These guys could have easily priced there coil-overs over $2k when priced next to the other options. Then would you have still made your comment.

I think if things work they work. Just because they are expensive doesnt neccesarily mean things are worlds better than a cheaper alternative.

Disclaimer> i have no idea the quality of these coil-overs they could be junk or they could be a great buy at the price for quaility. My comment is in general.
Knowing they are BC, I would have still made the comment.

When you work in racing and setting up cars for tracks and tire tests, you get a good idea of quality suspension components and their cost.


These coil overs would be a step up on the typical Japanese performance sedan, say for instance my Evo. The Evo is a mass produced car, sold at a lower price point, and it has to be more compliant over the rough stuff. An Elise, on the other hand, is a purpose built sports car designed by Lotus, a company that is paid to design other companies suspensions. The Elise has a suspension that is more geared towards performance on ideal road surfaces. That coil over better have a killer damping curve to suprass what Lotus developed internally.

Is it possible to be better than Lotus's standard stuff? Absolutely. But with that design, materials, R&D, etc comes product cost.

Do not think for a second I just saw a lower price and raised a flag, there is reasoning and experience behind that. These coil overs might be worth a try, especially for someone wanting a cheap way to easily corner balance their car. (can you corner balance the Elise on the stock suspension?) I would love to hear feedback from someone that buys them. If they are indeed a step up from Lotus's sport package, then this is a great deal for Lotus owners.

As far as the Evo comunity, I have heard some positives regarding them.
Tristar Racing is offline  
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Registered User
 
Bgwilly31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cincy, OH
Posts: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to jump in here and answer some questions.

These are single adjustable coilovers with 30 levels of damping, height adjustability, and can be ordered with custom spring rates.

The first kit we produced came with 5k/7k springs, and while they ride very well on the street they may be too soft for some. So we may jump up to a 6k/8k, or a 7k/9k setup for the OTS kits. If you know what rates you would like to run just specify at the time you place your order. Our kits are setup with a wide damping range, so if you want to go up or down 2k on your springrates the shocks do not have to be revalved. If you want to go higher than that, we will revalve the shocks for you so they match the springrates correctly.

Someone asked about running slicks, I would go with a 8k/10k or 10k/12k setup depending on your preference, leaning more towards 10k/12k though.

We personally have a G35 Time Attack car which we run our suspensions on. We also have a number of teams who run our systems and have been very pleased. So they have been tested and aren't some brand new, unheard of product.

Here is our website, which has information about our other coilovers we produce.

bc home


If anyone has any others questions just ask. Thanks.
Props for your Redline Time-Attack wins.

Thats no easy task especially in Unlimited RWD class.

-White Rossion Q1

07 white Exige S--Sold
04' Lexus Turbo IS300 BSM "track car"
--SOLD

"Straight lines dont mean sh**"
Bgwilly31 is offline  
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered User
 
Bavarian Motorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Yawrk City
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristar Racing View Post
Knowing they are BC, I would have still made the comment.

When you work in racing and setting up cars for tracks and tire tests, you get a good idea of quality suspension components and their cost.


These coil overs would be a step up on the typical Japanese performance sedan, say for instance my Evo. The Evo is a mass produced car, sold at a lower price point, and it has to be more compliant over the rough stuff. An Elise, on the other hand, is a purpose built sports car designed by Lotus, a company that is paid to design other companies suspensions. The Elise has a suspension that is more geared towards performance on ideal road surfaces. That coil over better have a killer damping curve to suprass what Lotus developed internally.

Is it possible to be better than Lotus's standard stuff? Absolutely. But with that design, materials, R&D, etc comes product cost.

Do not think for a second I just saw a lower price and raised a flag, there is reasoning and experience behind that. These coil overs might be worth a try, especially for someone wanting a cheap way to easily corner balance their car. (can you corner balance the Elise on the stock suspension?) I would love to hear feedback from someone that buys them. If they are indeed a step up from Lotus's sport package, then this is a great deal for Lotus owners.

As far as the Evo comunity, I have heard some positives regarding them.
These ought to be compared to Lotus's adjustable suspension rather than sport pack which is just stiffer springs.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Bavarian Motorist is offline  
post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Registered User
 
Tristar Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist View Post
These ought to be compared to Lotus's adjustable suspension rather than sport pack which is just stiffer springs.
I just went with sport package since it seems to be more common. I doubt most people with the Lotus adjustable suspension are looking to replace it with coil overs.

Last edited by Tristar Racing; 01-13-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Tristar Racing is offline  
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Registered User
 
jmmorford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 125
I put BC Racing coilovers on my MR Spyder last spring. I'm quite impressed with them. The first thing I noticed is that the construction and fit is great. They clearly are a quality product. They were easy to install and set up. I particularly like the ability to adjust ride height to tune the suspension geometry. I found damper adjustment also to be relatively easy. I run them at 0 to 3 clicks on the street and then dial them up to 11 front, 13 back for autoX. I believe I'm running 6K/8K springs. I don't know that they are better or worse than the stock and sport pack units on the Elise, but it has always surprised me that the Elise units are not adjustable.

I realize that the mere mention of an MR Spyder on an Elise forum is probably some form of heresy, but the two cars have a some common handling attributes. So I think my experience with these coilovers is at least relevant.
jmmorford is offline  
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Registered User
 
Tristar Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorford View Post
I put BC Racing coilovers on my MR Spyder last spring. I'm quite impressed with them. The first thing I noticed is that the construction and fit is great. They clearly are a quality product. They were easy to install and set up. I particularly like the ability to adjust ride height to tune the suspension geometry. I found damper adjustment also to be relatively easy. I run them at 0 to 3 clicks on the street and then dial them up to 11 front, 13 back for autoX. I believe I'm running 6K/8K springs. I don't know that they are better or worse than the stock and sport pack units on the Elise, but it has always surprised me that the Elise units are not adjustable.

I realize that the mere mention of an MR Spyder on an Elise forum is probably some form of heresy, but the two cars have a some common handling attributes. So I think my experience with these coilovers is at least relevant.

Yea, I would say your comments on quality and ease of setup would transfer to the Elise units. Unfortunately, due to chassis stiffness and differences in starting points for stock damping between the MRS and Elise, that might be all that will hold true from one car to the other. Its easier to improve on the stock MRS's suspension than the Elises, I think we can all agree on that.

I am not trying to bash these units in any way, I guess I just got caught up in a technical discussion and wanted to share my views. I can stop if this is causing more issues than its helping...

By the way, many Elise owners on here had or still have an MRS. Welcome!
Tristar Racing is offline  
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Bavarian Motorist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Yawrk City
Posts: 11,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorford View Post

I realize that the mere mention of an MR Spyder on an Elise forum is probably some form of heresy, but the two cars have a some common handling attributes. So I think my experience with these coilovers is at least relevant.

Not true at all... We welcome MR-2 owners

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Bavarian Motorist is offline  
post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Registered User
 
Rondo Fondu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Rock BC, Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
First time I've ever heard anybody say the Track Pack had variable rate springs!

xtn
ok progressive rate springs....it's the Canadian comming out in me.

"Whatsa behind me isa not important" - Franco Bertolinni (Raul Julia) The Gumball Rally 1976
Rondo Fondu is offline  
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Registered User
 
slvr05elise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 542
what is the recommended time period or mileage for rebuilding the shocks and are there any recommended presets for the setup.
slvr05elise is offline  
post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo Fondu View Post
ok progressive rate springs....it's the Canadian comming out in me.
I've always been told that the Track Pack springs were the same rate as the Sport Pack. I'll have to see if I can get somebody from LCU to confirm.
Rat27 is offline  
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 662
Good luck finding out the spring rates from Lotus for the track pack. Anyways, the TP rates are too soft for serious autocross or tack duty anyways, so don't wory about it. They are great for weekend wariors just like the spring rates for the shocks for sale in this thread.

Do these shocks use the stock shock mounting points? This could be a great option for someone competing in NASA TT (with higher spring rates of course).
AZReason is offline  
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered User
 
Rondo Fondu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: White Rock BC, Canada
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat27 View Post
I've always been told that the Track Pack springs were the same rate as the Sport Pack. I'll have to see if I can get somebody from LCU to confirm.
If you get confirmation or different spec from LCU please post or pm me and I'll update my info in post #12.

"Whatsa behind me isa not important" - Franco Bertolinni (Raul Julia) The Gumball Rally 1976
Rondo Fondu is offline  
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Registered User
 
fitfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Diego!
Posts: 7,116
having just spent some quality time with my nitron s/a installing them - i can say... the quality is outstanding!! and i noticed similar eibach springs on mario andretti's former race car at symbolic... just saying...



also got to poke around the underside of a veyron - that stuff is packed in there!! looks liek the space shuttle

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
fitfan is offline  
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr05elise View Post
what is the recommended time period or mileage for rebuilding the shocks and are there any recommended presets for the setup.
You would have to call BC and get some insight from them regarding preset settings. Every cars setup is different, from tires, to sway bars, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZReason View Post
Good luck finding out the spring rates from Lotus for the track pack. Anyways, the TP rates are too soft for serious autocross or tack duty anyways, so don't wory about it. They are great for weekend wariors just like the spring rates for the shocks for sale in this thread.

Do these shocks use the stock shock mounting points? This could be a great option for someone competing in NASA TT (with higher spring rates of course).
They use all stock mounting points, as well as the stock washers on the top connection. We can also bump the springrates up to 8k/10k if you were going to run r-comps, and serious track duty.
Exigin is offline  
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered User
 
jhnmdahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 852
Spring rates for the single-adjustable Nitrons depend on where you get them, and what you order. Eliseparts.com will sell a user-specified rate for no additional charge, but typically recommends and ships:

Nitron One-Way Adjustable (Eliseparts.com)
front rate = 325 lbs force/inch ; 4.6 lbs mass
rear rate = 400 lbs force/inch ; 5.5 lbs mass

This seems the closest available product and sells for around $1700 with the Eibach springs at today's exchange rates. Note units are corrected from the table above.

John

Last edited by jhnmdahl; 01-14-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: updated to $1.45=£1
jhnmdahl is offline  
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
xtn
Registered User
 
xtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo Fondu View Post
ok progressive rate springs....it's the Canadian comming out in me.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I don't think they are.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
xtn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome