Nifty new engine lid contraption: The LIDbone - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
I ended up wrapping some electrical tape around points of contact (when lid is closed) and playing with the adjustments to try and cease the rattling but it hasn't cured it (although its slightly muffled). It sucks because it only rattles at idle, at least as far as I can tell, but that gets annoying as hell when the cars warming up in the morning or your sitting at a long stop light.

Any ideas?
Stage II

Ways to get to the office:
2005 Elise, AS, Stage II, Fujita intake, better speakers
2005 Acura MDX
2012 MB CLS550
2001 Ducati Monster 750
2003 Porsche 996tt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM

definitely don't overtighten the bolts. Got back from WCLM on Sunday and opened the lid to get stuff out, but the heat from the 5 hours drive caused expansion that made the joints to sticky, and heated the aluminum enough to where it bent when I tried to open the lid. Got the piece straighted and loosened the bolts a bit more and now all is well, though admittedly I haven't tested it yet with another 5 hour drive.

Ways to get to the office:
2005 Elise, AS, Stage II, Fujita intake, better speakers
2005 Acura MDX
2012 MB CLS550
2001 Ducati Monster 750
2003 Porsche 996tt
post #163 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Got mine today and installed it, Nice product but took the time to sand down the sharp edges from the product being stamped out - Also, just by looking at the design I knew it needed some nylon washers between the metal - to -Metal pivot points (3) so I cut three out of some larger washers I had laying around using the supplied larger metal washers as a template for the nylon washers then just added a little lock-tite and viola it works perfectly,
I like it but highly recommend the the nylon washer routine!
NZ
Oh yeah, no rattle with the nylon washers

post #164 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:26 PM

Thumbs up

Ding on a great product and +1 on the sanding and the rubber gromets between the metal at the pivot point. You have to play a bit with the loose/tight of the nuts at to get it to work properly.

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #165 of 175 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Buz

Any chance on getting them clear anodized for durability and a lasting finish?
post #166 of 175 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTEC
I knew it needed some nylon washers between the metal - to -Metal pivot points (3) so I cut three out of some larger washers I had laying around
BTW, if you're looking for nylon washers in Home Depot and can't find any in hardware, go over to electrical and get a 4-pack of Gardner Bender (GB) 1-inch white plastic clamps.

The long flat end of the clamp can easily be trimmed into a makeshift washer. The hole is already the right size for the LIDbone bolts.

And as others have mentioned the edges on the LIDbone parts are a bit sharp, so some sort of deburring tool (sandpaper, metal file, etc) will be useful.
post #167 of 175 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 04:28 AM

I had to go this route for mine (uk s1)
Attached Images

post #168 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 07:32 AM

thanks sector, love this thing
post #169 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 08:15 AM

Talking

Right on, add me to yoru interested list, please!!!
post #170 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Is this still being sold, or is there similar/different/better product available now?
post #171 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
I have the Lidbone (I believe it is still sold). It's "OK". I had to modify mine so it would not score the top of the coil pack cover. I have also added teflon washers so it does not rattle.

If I were doing it now... would probably try this item: GRP Trunk Support - Elise ? On Rails Engineering

I have not seen a review of it though....

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #172 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Probably Lurking

LIDbone Deck Lid Prop for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #173 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 03:14 PM
I Have Commitment Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
I have the Lidbone (I believe it is still sold). It's "OK". I had to modify mine so it would not score the top of the coil pack cover. I have also added teflon washers so it does not rattle.

If I were doing it now... would probably try this item: GRP Trunk Support - Elise ? On Rails Engineering

We have sold a bunch of these and run these in all of our cars. They make things so much more convenient.
post #174 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post

I bought the GRP hydraulic trunk support and I HIGHLY recommend it! It's easy to install, looks great, and works just like it should. I can easily open my trunk one handed (while carrying something to put in the truck in my other hand). It lifts higher then the original trunk support, but protects the roll bar from getting hit from lifting the trunk lid too high. THIS IS A MUST HAVE ITEM, along with a sector 111 bootie! 2 items that should have come stock from the factory and don't really add much weight.

2008 Lotus Elise California Edition - Red
2009 Land Rover LR2 - Black
2011 Volvo XC90 - Charcoal
2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder - Red (sold)
post #175 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

I absolutely agree the strut works perfectly and there's no more leaning over the edge to lock or unlock the lidBone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in