QWKcans - Catch Cans for your Supercharged Lotus - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

QWKcans - Catch Cans for your Supercharged Lotus

Our Sector111 catch cans have arrived! We are quite excited about this new innovative design from Secant Vehicles. Oil blow by is a problem that any supercharged car needs to address. Our QWKcans makes capturing & draining this oil quick & easy. The quality of our kit is superb. Our QWKcans feature an innovative mounting system that is secured to the engine so it moves with it. No drilling required - easy install.

Key Features:
  • OE quick dissconnects for hoses
  • 1/4 turn drain valves
  • Mounted to engine at the top and bottom of cans
  • Toolless removal & draining

Available now: Click for QWKcans
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM

looks good to me

07 Lotus Exige S- 3.0 pulley, Custom Paint, Diflow 3 element, Larini SC
09 Porsche C4- Borla Exhaust, GT2Spoiler,OZ ultraleggera 19s, GT3 font bumper and lip
08 Ford Expedition Limited - fully loaded stock
06 Mitsubishi Eclipse- CF lip and wing, Injen Intake, Magnaflow, Clairon DVD/NAV and 12 inch sub 500mp alpine
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM

Just placed my order. I was about to order a competitors but like the features of yours. Thanks.

GHussey - Massachusetts
(SOLD: Summer 2011)2007 Exige S, Larini SC Sport Exhaust, QWKcans, Artic Silver with twin dark grey stripes down the middle, Tour Pack, Traction Control, (No Track Pack) Never Tracked, never driven in the rain by me. Gloss black powder-coated wheels. Title in hand.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM

OK, so now there is yet another issue I need to know about my car. What is oil blow by, why is it a unique issue with a SC, and how do these catch cans solve it?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorford View Post
OK, so now there is yet another issue I need to know about my car. What is oil blow by, why is it a unique issue with a SC, and how do these catch cans solve it?
Oil blow-by is the little bit of "stuff" that gets past the rings in the combustion chamber - the stuff that burns and is supposed to go out the exhaust when the cylinder is done with it. All cars have a bit of blow-by, but as things age and wear (the rings on the pistons), you get more blow-by ("leakage").

This blow-by is a mixture of oil, fuel, and combustion byproducts - it appears as a "vapor" that contains the oil, fuel, and the gasses from the combustion.

It is normally sucked into the intake (and then into the cylinders) where it is burned off without any problems.

But with a supercharger, the intake passes through supercharger (where it gets hot) and then inter-cooler (to cool it back down) before it gets into the cylinders. The problem is that the blow-by can leave an "oily film" on the inside passages of the inter-cooler, which acts as an insulator and reduces the inter-cooler's ability to cool the intake.

A catch can helps prevent this by passing the blow-by into a big open can where it gets a chance for the oil/fuel to settle out of the vapors and collect in the bottom of the catch can. The gases continue to pass through to the intake (or some people vent it to the air) where they continue to get burned - but the oil doesn't leave a film on the intake passages or the inter-cooler.

But you have to remember to occasionally drain the oil/fuel collected in the catch can as it accumulates.

A catch can is very helpful for a supercharged/inter-cooled car. But really isn't necessary for a normal (non-supercharged) street driven car. If you drive your non-supercharged car on the track a lot, then you may need one as a car that is at high revs much of the time will be generating more blow-by than a normally driven car. Then again, frequent oil changes will remove the blow-by "gunk" that collects in the oil (hence the reason for changing your oil before or after a track day).

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the patient explanation. Is this an issue for an Elise with a BWR SC and no IC? I use it for autoX and daily driver.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmorford View Post
Tim,

Thanks for the patient explanation. Is this an issue for an Elise with a BWR SC and no IC? I use it for autoX and daily driver.
This is an issue for supercharged cars in general. Yes, it may be an issue for an Elise with a BWR SC and no IC.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:40 PM

How tough is it to reach the drain valves? It looks pretty tight to reach the bottom of the cans. Is it possible to drain into a cup so that I don't have "gunk" all over the inside of my engine compartment? Yeah, I'm a little bit of a neat freak.

2007 Ardent Red Lotus Exige S
2013 Tesla Model S
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-onion View Post
How tough is it to reach the drain valves? It looks pretty tight to reach the bottom of the cans. Is it possible to drain into a cup so that I don't have "gunk" all over the inside of my engine compartment? Yeah, I'm a little bit of a neat freak.
You'd probably want to remove them from the car, or you could run a hose off the nozzles.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonized View Post
You'd probably want to remove them from the car, or you could run a hose off the nozzles.
That looks easy enough. Only 3 bolts to undo. How often would I have to drain them if it's not being tracked? Just spirited canyon driving every week.

2007 Ardent Red Lotus Exige S
2013 Tesla Model S
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-onion View Post
That looks easy enough. Only 3 bolts to undo. How often would I have to drain them if it's not being tracked? Just spirited canyon driving every week.
Check it your first oil change after installation, if there's a very low amount in there you could wait 2 changes next time.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM

Demonized, Tim says that the benefit of catch cans is to prevent oil buildup in an intercooler, which reduces heat transfer. So if one has a supercharger without an intercooler, what is the benefit?
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Benefit

no oil on your supercharger screws....I had Saikou Michi's cans and when I upgraded my SC from Katana to VF2 the interior of the SC was clean.........I mean you could eat of it....the less gunk gets in the better.......I think that they are a must for an SC setup, that you intend to keep for a long time!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM

Do you think these are important to have even if you don't track your car?
How important are these to have? Any issue with the smog check? Visual or at the tail pipe?

2008 Exige S240
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboydman View Post
Do you think these are important to have even if you don't track your car?
How important are these to have? Any issue with the smog check? Visual or at the tail pipe?
They shouldn't cause any problem with the smog check - they still allow the emission systems to function just as well (even better?) than before. However, some over zealous tester might fail you on a visual inspection. Less likely if it uses normal hoses and clamps, but if you use stainless steel braided lines and AN looking covers for the clamps, you are going to raise a red flag.

As for how important are they if you don't track your car? Not very important at all. If they were, manufacturers would put them in the cars themselves.

If fact they do - they have baffles in the valve cover that is designed to separate the oil out of the gases and let it drip back down out of the baffles. However, the problem is that if you run - constantly - at high revs you will be making more gasses that the average expected amount, and the baffles won't get all of the oil out (some will always get by anyway even if you just loaf around in the car). The engine is designed to handle a little bit of oil mixed in with the gasses, but the more you make, the less the system was designed to handle.

The upside:
  • They look cool.
  • They help to keep the intake clean.
  • They help to keep the supercharger/inter-cooler clean and working efficiently (if you have a supercharger/inter-cooler).
The down sides:
  • It will cost you money to purchase (and install if you have a shop do it).
  • You have to drain them (at each oil change at least).
  • You have to close off the drains properly (or you might get some MIL codes as someone had happen to them recently from the vacuum leak that happened from an open drain valve).
  • Possible (but not likely) problems at smog test time.

Bottom line is that for normal driving, you don't need catch cans.
For occasional track time, you may (or may not) need catch cans.
For heavy track time, the catch cans would be a good idea.
For supercharged cars (especially with an inter cooler), catch cans are a great idea.

But no matter what, having catch cans isn't going to hurt the engine as long as it's installed properly (hoses are connected properly).

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Thx Tim. Nice explanation. I agree completely.

post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Updated install picture in our Elise:
Attached Images

post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 12:58 PM

So catch cans for my street driven 240S is a good idea? I would do it as long as it wasn't going to cause smog issues and would benefit the supercharger/intercooler and protect the engine.

I am worried about smog because I still am trying to figure out high flow cat issue.

2008 Exige S240
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboydman View Post
So catch cans for my street driven 240S is a good idea? I would do it as long as it wasn't going to cause smog issues and would benefit the supercharger/intercooler and protect the engine.

I am worried about smog because I still am trying to figure out high flow cat issue.

I ordered these for my Exige S with the hopes they will eliminate the oil smell I believe to be coming from the intake area when driving with my drivers window down.

GHussey - Massachusetts
(SOLD: Summer 2011)2007 Exige S, Larini SC Sport Exhaust, QWKcans, Artic Silver with twin dark grey stripes down the middle, Tour Pack, Traction Control, (No Track Pack) Never Tracked, never driven in the rain by me. Gloss black powder-coated wheels. Title in hand.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghussey View Post
I ordered these for my Exige S with the hopes they will eliminate the oil smell I believe to be coming from the intake area when driving with my drivers window down.
Ghussey,
Let me know if this solves the oil odor with the window down. I get the same thing on my 08 S240.
-Lew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in