QWKcans - Catch Cans for your Supercharged Lotus - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 AM

can someone confirm it gets rid of the oil smell in cabinet? if so, i want it!

It's Never Enough...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-onion View Post
Thanks Gerry,

The two connectors on the right definitely do not slide all the way on. I've emailed s111.
Damian,

Pls send the can back. That nipple should not be bent. We take great care in packaging these so I'm not sure how that got damaged. Sorry for the trouble.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghussey View Post
Here is another view of my installed Qwkcans.
Is the bottom of the cans supported, or is all from the one bracket and bolt on the top?

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
Is the bottom of the cans supported, or is all from the one bracket and bolt on the top?
It's supported by a bracket that mounts to the side of the engine. There are 2 pegs which the cans sit on. The cans aren't bolted to the bracket. So when you remove the cans you just need to undo the wing nut and the quick connectors. No tools needed

2007 Ardent Red Lotus Exige S
2013 Tesla Model S
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-onion View Post
It's supported by a bracket that mounts to the side of the engine. There are 2 pegs which the cans sit on. The cans aren't bolted to the bracket. So when you remove the cans you just need to undo the wing nut and the quick connectors. No tools needed
This innovation allows the cans to move with the engine.

post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM

How far off the valve cover bolt does the cans stick out? I have a tight application that I would like to use these for.

Thanks,

Derek
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Baffling is quite simple. We are unable to release drawings of our Top Secret Baffling.
Shinoo - PM box is full.
Email sent via Stacey's email address.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1duc View Post
How far off the valve cover bolt does the cans stick out? I have a tight application that I would like to use these for.

Thanks,

Derek
Call me or email me direct and we can discuss. I might have some options for you...(951)296-6762 or shinoo'at'sector111.com

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
Shinoo - PM box is full.
Email sent via Stacey's email address.
Sorry, just deleted my PM box! Best to contact me directly. Thx!

post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Call me or email me direct and we can discuss. I might have some options for you...(951)296-6762 or shinoo'at'sector111.com
Sent you an email from work. Let me know if you don't get it.
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Finished the install

I finally finished the install on the QWKcans.

Very easy to do.

I made a few changes to the tubing when I put these in. I didn't re-use the foam covering on the tubes. I used SS hose sleeves and anodized fittings/clamps. I had these lying around from a previously aborted project, so I decided to use them here.

Here are a few pics.

Regards,
Wayne
Attached Images

'05 Elise Magnetic Blue, Black, Touring, Hard Top, Star Shield, Stage II Exhaust, Arqray decat pipe, S2 Front Splitter (UK), Sector 111 Rear Tow Hook, Driving Lights, Cup Airbox, Shift-I System, LSS Dampers & Springs, Sector 111 V-Bar, Schroth Profi II 5 point harness, Exige S Probax seats, 1/4 turn undertray screws, Stealth bulbs, BWR SC with PES tune, Innovative engine mounts, SS brake lines.
post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM

I think (???) I understand the principles here on oil recovery, but I don't understand why the 2 lines and cans? Are the 2 lines from the valve covers discrete, and why does one dump before the throttle and one after? Couldn't they both dump after the throttle and have constant vacuum? Why can't they be manifolded together from the valve cover, and into one can, and then into one point after the throttle?

I am sure there is an easy explanation for this, but I would just like to understand it. Not trying to bash Sector 111, I have been more than satisfied with their products and service.

After pulling my intercooler to replace last night, standing on end and watching oil flow out of it, I am definitely sold on the catch can necessity.

Thanks, cheers.
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Lew

Very nice install job waydui! Were you having the window-down-oil-smell issue and did this resolve it? I just ordered the cans from s111 and hope to have them in place before Saturday's track day at Homestead. Getting rid of the oil smell would be a huge bonus!
post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Very nice install job waydui! Were you having the window-down-oil-smell issue and did this resolve it? I just ordered the cans from s111 and hope to have them in place before Saturday's track day at Homestead. Getting rid of the oil smell would be a huge bonus!
Correct me if I am wrong:
- Windows up, the fresh air is coming in from the vents in the center of the front grill.
- Windows down the fresh air will come from the front, which has 2 oil coolers up front. Today I took my front clam off and see very very very small oil mark on both oil cooler, they are not leaking nor dripping, but just like cam cover's gasket oil mark.
- Windows down the high air presssue from the engine bay may push some air to go in through the hole at the center of the lower firewall. This is just a theory. I am going to seal up those holes and see what happen on Monday.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Thanks Lew.

No, I never had an oil smell issue with the car so I can't say if it will solve this issue or not.

Just a quick tip. You have to insert a 3/8" hose section into the existing hoses on the car. It is a very tight fit. I coated the 3/8" hose with a little vaseline and it slipped right in. Saves a lot of cursing and pinched fingers.

Good luck with the install.

Regards,
Wayne

'05 Elise Magnetic Blue, Black, Touring, Hard Top, Star Shield, Stage II Exhaust, Arqray decat pipe, S2 Front Splitter (UK), Sector 111 Rear Tow Hook, Driving Lights, Cup Airbox, Shift-I System, LSS Dampers & Springs, Sector 111 V-Bar, Schroth Profi II 5 point harness, Exige S Probax seats, 1/4 turn undertray screws, Stealth bulbs, BWR SC with PES tune, Innovative engine mounts, SS brake lines.
post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Lew

Wayne, Thanks for the tip.
post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKFEVER View Post
Correct me if I am wrong:
- Windows up, the fresh air is coming in from the vents in the center of the front grill.
- Windows down the fresh air will come from the front, which has 2 oil coolers up front. Today I took my front clam off and see very very very small oil mark on both oil cooler, they are not leaking nor dripping, but just like cam cover's gasket oil mark.
- Windows down the high air presssue from the engine bay may push some air to go in through the hole at the center of the lower firewall. This is just a theory. I am going to seal up those holes and see what happen on Monday.
Where exactly is the hole at the center of the lower firewall? Is that between the back of the seats or under the dash?

GHussey - Massachusetts
(SOLD: Summer 2011)2007 Exige S, Larini SC Sport Exhaust, QWKcans, Artic Silver with twin dark grey stripes down the middle, Tour Pack, Traction Control, (No Track Pack) Never Tracked, never driven in the rain by me. Gloss black powder-coated wheels. Title in hand.
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghussey View Post
Where exactly is the hole at the center of the lower firewall? Is that between the back of the seats or under the dash?
Mine is a RHD and don't have carpet nor sound insulation, so I can see a hole for the entrance (of the shifter cable, etc..) at the bottom & middle of the rear firewall. Where the shifter cable enter..

Also, I just remember, long time ago some gas was over fill and ran off from the cap and into the rear clam. And the smell last for couple days even with window closed and driving forward fast. So it might come in from the ga between doors and the clam.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
RBH

I just installed this but I had to modify/cut the RLS heat shield to accommodate the fittings and also make QWKcans accessible and removable.

Before:

Need to cut:

After:

Do it once. Do it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in