RLS now stocking: the best oil pan solution - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM
Plug Whisperer

Actually, it wasn't until their latest, Gpan**3** (released today), that they included a temp port on the **firewall** side of the pan.

There's not one bit of inaccurate data on the chart as it relates to the gpan 1 or 2. I wasn't "bashing" a counterpart. Rather pointing out many things that WE thought of that the current offerings came short on and I did want to highlight some of those design elements.

You can be certain that they used my chart to address some of their issues with gpan 1 and 2 to come out with gpan 3.

Cheers,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM

I talked to them about it around 2 weeks ago when I saw it on the site, so it certainly didn't come out today.
I have no ties with any company, but it just bugged me when I read your chart and it wasn't really accurate.

The current pan being made is the GPan3 which is about the same price as yours and close to the same thing. Who copied who? I don't know or care, but at least compare your pan to the current one that they sell!
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
I talked to them about it around 2 weeks ago when I saw it on the site, so it certainly didn't come out today.
They're only just announcing it today... https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f172...-gpan3-115725/

I don't imagine Phil spends his days on the S111 site.

2008 Exige S240 - Aspen White

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Plug Whisperer

I can't redo my chart every time they revise their pan... I'd go crazy with updates! and again, until today it was right on the money and even now, it's only 2 check marks off... There's a half dozen check marks left to go for gpan 4, 5, 6, 7...

Seriously, and for the record: We've been selling our pan for months, not weeks. RLS didn't even start carrying our pan until the second batch was made, and this thread started April 3rd by RLS. First I ever saw mention of the gpan3 was in today's post. I know for a fact that gpan2 was the only thing available from them when we finally released our sump.

We have our own in-house engine program, dyno, chassis setup, ECU tuning, etc. That list isn't duplicated by anyone in Lotus Land that I know of. This gives us a unique perspective on the car and 2ZZ power unit, IMHO.. We came up with the requirements for our sump from real world experience of *dealing* with the current offerings' short comings-- gpan 1 and 2 included- but particularly the orignal Moroso pans that all the aftermarket pans are based off of. We had a good idea of what we needed to solve the various oil sump issues and designed it as such- scraper plate, additional baffles, external oil pickup, AN fittings, 'n all....

Regardless of the forum piffle, judge for yourself as to who's playing catchup with who if you feel you must. More importantly, decide which pan is better and/or more suited to your current and future modifications and use.

I don't think there's any question which sump is providing more value, but value *is* in the eye of the beholder....

Cheers.

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

Last edited by turbophil; 05-31-2012 at 07:15 AM.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah go crazy doing a 5 minute edit to your chart?

Anyway I will likely get the Sector 111 pan along with the blower when I have a bit of $$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
I can't redo my chart every time they revise their pan... I'd go crazy with updates! :

Phil
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

I'll post Phil's updated chart when it becomes available (moderator: can you unlock the first post in this thread so that I can do that? Currently it won't let me edit that post.)

Phil posted honest and accurate data, there isn't anything nefarious going on here. As far as I can tell, Phil is an honest fellow.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasio View Post
As far as I can tell, Phil is an honest fellow.
LOL, now that's a strong endorsement.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:54 AM
los

can you confirm whether it clears the post 2010 re-enforement plate?
apparently currently no aftermarket pan clears
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM

Who knew what when!?!?!?

I love this place, but it can get a bit soap opera-y at times. Still though, better 'n most forums on the internets.

I'm considering one of these BOE pans, along with external oil pump setup this coming offseason. Luckily, I don't need to wind the ol' 2ZZ out as much anymore thanks to the Rev300 setup, but I'm running an ancient Gpan1!!! How am I even surviving with such ancient technology!!! [For all you Sheldons out there, that was sarcasm.]

While it ain't exactly Moore's Law, I do like the innovation around this place and respect all our vendors (tho I consider Phil / BOE a true partner ). I've happily used (read: "sent a large portion of my paycheck to") most all of them.

Keep bringin' the goodness gents. When Oil Pans compete... we win!

I do, however, wonder what the value of a pre-owned Gpan1 will be in the not too distant future. Hmmmm.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim-clayton View Post
LOL, now that's a strong endorsement.
Well, a man's word is his worth as far as I'm concerned, so I'm not going to endorse someone for the hell of it. My business relationship with Phil is young, and from what I can tell he is an honest fellow. Ask me again in a year or five and I'll be willing to offer an better opinion. So far, he seems great. It is what it is.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Elise Guru

Phil worked with us at BWR with some feedback on the Total Oil Control pan over the last several MONTHS to finalize the design. We've noticed some oil starve on the XP car when we reviewed the data on our car with one of the "other" pans. When Phil mentioned the project to us we had some suggestions such as the "scrapers" to pickup the slung oil from the rods. His idea to use the separate scraper panel with the capping plate over the oil is excellent. We no longer see the blips in oil pressure. This development has been a LONG time in the making.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 05-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.
post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM

Hmmm, the best?, not so sure...

Maybe you're mileage will vary, these are my comments and observations of my recent TOC purchase and install.

-The supplied studs to replace the existing external pan hardware are long set screws, while a neat idea, black oxide is not very corrosion resistant.

-There's mention in the install guide of a special nut required in the area of the pan drain where clearance is very tight, no such nut was shipped. I had a half height nut kicking around, however even then there isn't enough clearance to properly sock the sucker down as it bangs up against the flange weld. Its going along for the ride now, not doing any real work.

-There was a pan head socket screw missing from the internal splash plate, no biggie.

-The pan flange is not milled post welding, and in my case there was a good 1/16” warp in the flange between the two studs on either side of the dash oil fitting that’s very close to the flange, it took a heavy ¼” bead to close the gap…

Summary: nice design, nice welding, the best? You decide.
Recommendations: If you go this route, do a complete test fit prior to getting the goop out.

If I had done that I would have sent mine back for an exchange due to the warpage and nut clearance issues mentioned.

VFII, Eliseparts Sequential, Geartronics Paddle shift.
You name it, I've probably got that installed too...
1864lbs, full tank
Otherwise, it's bone stock....
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Plug Whisperer

Apex,

Please see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_in_sno View Post
Maybe you're mileage will vary, these are my comments and observations of my recent TOC purchase and install.

Thanks for the feedback-- even if "constructive"

-The supplied studs to replace the existing external pan hardware are long set screws, while a neat idea, black oxide is not very corrosion resistant.

FWIW- They're the the same or nearly the same studs that all the pans: Moroso, MWR, etc--- so it would be a push there on hardware. Rust has not been a significant problem that I've seen... We use the studs to help mitigate thread damage in the girdle for those that use the cars on the track and service their motors more frequently. The studs we use have an allen head for easier installation. There is a zinc alternative, but they lack the allen head for installation... There's give and take with hardware decisions

-There's mention in the install guide of a special nut required in the area of the pan drain where clearance is very tight, no such nut was shipped. I had a half height nut kicking around, however even then there isn't enough clearance to properly sock the sucker down as it bangs up against the flange weld. Its going along for the ride now, not doing any real work.

We would have made that right for you if you had brought it up. We have since made more room for that fastener to solve the problem

-There was a pan head socket screw missing from the internal splash plate, no biggie.

First I've heard of that. Mistakes can happen and again, we would have made that right for you.

-The pan flange is not milled post welding, and in my case there was a good 1/16” warp in the flange between the two studs on either side of the dash oil fitting that’s very close to the flange, it took a heavy ¼” bead to close the gap…

You'll find similar tollerances on ALL of the aluminum pans from Sector, MWR, Moroso, etc as they are ALSO NOT MILLED post welding. Not making excuses, it just is what it is when it comes to making an aluminum pan like this at the prices we are all charging for them... FWIW, Even the stock toyota pan has a fair amount of wobble. It's why you need RTV. For another $250 or so bucks I can mill them post welding and even provide an o-ring groove and seal!... but then we've gone and priced ourselves out of the market...

Hope that helps to clear things up...

We're still providing by far the most features for the dollar. Shortly, we'll have the external pump in "kit" form and those on the track would certainly appreciate the added protection there at a pretty reasonable dollar to boot! Not to mention the scraper tray, etc...

Cheers,

Phil

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Apex,

Please see below...

Hope that helps to clear things up...

We're still providing by far the most features for the dollar. Shortly, we'll have the external pump in "kit" form and those on the track would certainly appreciate the added protection there at a pretty reasonable dollar to boot! Not to mention the scraper tray, etc...

Cheers,

Phil

So you're saying that you will exchange the one I have for one where the clearance is resolved?, and hopefully isn't warped in that area?

1864lbs, full tank
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
So you're saying that you will exchange the one I have for one where the clearance is resolved?, and hopefully isn't warped in that area?
Bumpity bumpity BUMP!

1864lbs, full tank
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Plug Whisperer

Mike, the clearance issue wasn't terminal, it was just tight. There are literally 20 pans in circulation that have your exact same build and installed on cars ---including my own... and while room is tight there, it's not impossible. We were able to give more room in the later batches to "relieve the pain", but again, it doesn't mean that it's unworkable by any stretch. It's a minor thing on those first 20 pans that can easily be resolved...

That said, give me a call and I'll see what I can do to help

Thanks!

Phil

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Mike, the clearance issue wasn't terminal, it was just tight. There are literally 20 pans in circulation that have your exact same build and installed on cars ---including my own... and while room is tight there, it's not impossible. We were able to give more room in the later batches to "relieve the pain", but again, it doesn't mean that it's unworkable by any stretch. It's a minor thing on those first 20 pans that can easily be resolved...

That said, give me a call and I'll see what I can do to help

Thanks!

Phil

A simple yes or no was expected.

Since I didn't get that I'll take it as a no, thanks for your reply.

1864lbs, full tank
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM

I received my BOE oil pan today. Looks great ! I'm a .8 g guy at the track so my Moroso pan was fine for oil pick up / oil pressure on the track. I got the BOE pan so I can add the external oil pump. I don't trust the upgraded oil pump gears that I run.
The 1.2 g and above guys/girls need really good oil control. Expensive rebuild when the oil stops flowing.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM

I am getting the BOE pan because of windage tray and port for turbo standard. I am running the stock pan now and plan to track the car.
From what i heard better pan is a must for track cars.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
A simple yes or no was expected.

Since I didn't get that I'll take it as a no, thanks for your reply.

I think Phil wants you to call, I'm sure he will take care of you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Aftermarket Suppliers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in