The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Roll cages available

22K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  mikelr 
#1 ·
Here are some pre production shots of ourR3 Motorsport new SCCA legal roll cage for the Lotus Elise/Exige.

Available either in bolt in or fully welded. We also offer these cages with either welded in side bars or removable and removable knee bar.

CNC bent,optional tig or standard Mig welded

Bolt in / installed $1950.00
weld in/ installed $2550.00
tig option $500.00 extra

Happy racing!

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
I'll have to check my records but I believe there is a place in Georgia that made them. I think he was the original guy making them for HRM cars for SCCA.

#11 ·
How the heck can it be welded in?

xtn

#16 ·
How can they be welded in

TIG MIG or SHTIG :) you CANNOT weld steel to aluminum. Therefore, all SCCA legal cages for Elise/Exige that do not required destructive testing, as per regulations, have to be bolted in. How you do the bolting-in is a very interesting question. If the cage is designed properly, it would significantly increase the stiffness of the chassis.

The question about testing is mute. SCCA mandates a certain steel design. They know it works, the tube diameter and thickness is all spec'd out. So are the main hoops and bars. The trick is to use chrome-moly to make it even lighter or stiffer. Most people do not spend the $$ and use mild steel. It has some advantages, as well i.e. does not sheer with sharp edges most of the time.

Anton

#17 ·
...The trick is to use chrome-moly to make it even lighter or stiffer. Most people do not spend the $$ and use mild steel. It has some advantages, as well i.e. does not sheer with sharp edges most of the time.
All variety of steels have about the same stiffness.
You could make it stronger, or lighter, but a heavy mild-steel would be stiffer than a light weight chromoly.
Not that it would matter - it is already has a stiff chassis.

Would be interested in the weight, and if it available unwelded.
Even better would be one that can attach to the existing hoop, as they are removable. They are bolted to the hoop.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.