Dodge EV - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Dodge EV

I was just watching the news, and they were talking to some bigwigs over at Dodge. Apparently they just unveiled a new either hybrid or electric prototype sportscar, labeled with "Dodge EV" on the side. My God, the thing is a total Europa S rip-off. I mean everything frm the side scoops, to the vents in the hood, to the headlights, to the HID set-up on each side of the front crash structure. Is Lotus teamed up with Dodge or something, in a similar way as they did with Tesla? I'm not sure how else to explain the similarities. I wish I could find a pic of it on google.

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 AM

front page of jalopnik

Dodge Ev: Chrysler Unveils Dodge EV, A Tesla-Like All-Electric Sports Car

and yes, it does look like a rip off

2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Black wheels, Hard top, dual oil coolers, focal front speakers
1998 BMW 318ti, 77k miles. M sport package, 5 speed. Dependable daily driver since 97
1996 Colnago Technos, Dura-Ace, Zipp, spinergy, Specialized, Mavic.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:27 AM

I just noticed, even the seats are lotus probax

2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Black wheels, Hard top, dual oil coolers, focal front speakers
1998 BMW 318ti, 77k miles. M sport package, 5 speed. Dependable daily driver since 97

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:29 AM

It is a Lotus Europa. What's funny is once you put the stripes and Chrysler badges on it (getting ready for the flying veggies), it looks more like a Dodge than a Lotus.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:56 AM

I would bet Lotus built it. It's PR BS for Dodge and they didn't even pay enough to change the body panels.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:00 AM

...well, if dodge is paying to recycle a lotus platform, same as tesla, good for lotus, i say - i seriously hope they eliminate all the ridiculous IC intakes and exhausts, though...

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:06 AM

I think its purdy.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter

Last edited by MickOpalak; 09-23-2008 at 06:58 AM.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:19 AM

So is this thing for real?

2011 M3 convertible

Previous car #2 - 2008 Elise SC Ardent Red - Touring, Sport, Starshield (found a new home)

Previous car #1 - 2005 Elise Saffron Yellow (totaled in flood- the original underwater elise)
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 AM

More $$$ for Lotus increases the long-term viability of the brand.

While a small 2 door is nice, most Americans won't have it. The new VVA will allow them to license a product that can be turned into a more practical, and better selling vehicle.

Getting revenue from sources like this will allow them to push better and higher performance products in the future.

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:22 AM

I guess it is...not sure if it is a good thing or not...If it is a Tesla-like car, serviceable at your local dodge dealer, that might be a good thing, although it is painful to see a Lotus with that rebadging
Attached Images

2011 M3 convertible

Previous car #2 - 2008 Elise SC Ardent Red - Touring, Sport, Starshield (found a new home)

Previous car #1 - 2005 Elise Saffron Yellow (totaled in flood- the original underwater elise)
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 AM

I'd buy a dodge EV and put lotus badges on it. Probably would cost alot less than a Tesla.

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:18 AM

Thumbs down Are you kidding!

So they decided to just plant the Dodge logo, electric engine on an existing frame. WOW genius!
1. The Chrysler brand is sinking
2. Looking for bail out money
3. Selling the Viper brand

Not surprised at all. I hope it's just a prototype one off.

And trust me folks this adds NO VALUE to the Lotus brand.

PRESENT: 2009 C63 AMG Black PAST: 2005 Saffron Yellow, 2008 Mini Cooper S, 98 Panoz Roadster, '00 C5 Corvette, '98 Viper GTS Coupe, '88 911 Turbo, BMW M3, '95 911 Coupe.

Last edited by designer; 09-23-2008 at 06:26 AM.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:35 AM

Chrysler is asking Washington for a billions of dollars bailout so they can develop electric cars according to a CNBC report. They then show the Europa and act like they had developed it and needed money to bring it to production however they just bought it from Lotus. Smoke and mirrors.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

i think it looks good.
im not sure why some folks get bent out of shape over this stuff.

Vati.
C6 ZO6.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
So they decided to just plant the Dodge logo, electric engine on an existing frame. WOW genius!
So, how exactly is this different from the Tesla? They're the ones that should be pissed/scared.
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Modern Day Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan1 View Post
I guess it is...not sure if it is a good thing or not...If it is a Tesla-like car, serviceable at your local dodge dealer, that might be a good thing, although it is painful to see a Lotus with that rebadging
That would make sense why Lotus is not bringing the Europa into the US.

You become who you surround yourself with - Sorinne Ardeleanu

Please don't message me here, my inbox is over capacity. If you'd like to connect with me please send me an email to sprvxn @ gmail . com . Thank you.
post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTripleX View Post
That would make sense why Lotus is not bringing the Europa into the US.

The current engine available on the Europa does not meet US standards and one of the main reasons why you won't see it here.

Just as the Tesla is built and designed by Lotus, so is the Europa, err..um Dodge EV.

Video- CNBC.com

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 AM

Now people will be asking us if our cars are the new Dodge EV. We can say "Yes, and 'EV' stands for 'Electric Viper.'"

Tom
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
www.theapexinn.com

One more stupid question in the works: " Oh... Lotus....that's a Dodge; right ? "

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Automotive News:

DETROIT -- Chrysler LLC and England's Lotus Cars Ltd. are in talks to produce an electric sports car based on the Lotus Elise.

Frank Klegon, Chrysler executive vice president of product development, told Automotive News this morning that the sports car -- called the Dodge EV -- would go from 0 to 60 mph in under five seconds.

"Lotus has a lot of experience with lightweight vehicles and aluminum structures," Klegon said on the sidelines of a Chrysler press event. "We have experience with propulsion systems."

It was not immediately clear what time frame Chrysler was pursuing for the vehicle.

Lotus already plays a major role in an electric car being built by California startup company Tesla Motors Inc. The $109,000 Tesla Roadster also is based on the Lotus Elise. Tesla has taken more than 600 orders for the car. Its first dealership opened on May 1 and 27 customers have taken delivery of the vehicle.

2011 M3 convertible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in