Dodge EV punks Dodge Challenger - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Dodge EV punks Dodge Challenger

From the LA Times
Dodge EV punks Challenger in a little unsanctioned drag racing | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times

The Challenger lets off to let the boss win in the 2nd race, but who cares? I'd buy one if it makes it to market at a reasonable price. Assuming that Chrysler survives of course.

Sold: 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise, Sport/Touring, SA Nitrons, VF Stg2, 2bular hdr/sport cat, 2bular 8" exhaust, Saikou CC, shifter mods, SSC shifter cable, LETSLA, FF engine damper, ACT/Toda, AEM AFR/oil temp gauges, PLX vac/boost and IAT sensors with dash-mounted DM100 display, RTV toelink, Moroso oil pan, AlumDiffuser, FF spoiler, 5-pt harness
2002 Silver M3, SMG, Ground Control suspension, AP Racing BBK, RAC RS110s --sold--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM

How coincidental, they were resting side by side at Cars and Coffee (Irvine Edition) this morning.

07 Phantom Black Exige S - TP/TP/TC/SS
Happiness is adding modifications!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM

The Dodge EV is a sub-4 second 0-60 car.

'05 AR Mods: Stebel Nautilus horn; tesprit's rearview mirror; Custom Interior Pictures; PPF full front clam wrap

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM

This is apparently the way Lotus has recently found it's way to profitability. Their consulting and engineering business is more profitable than the unit building cars to sell under the Lotus brand, which involves high overhead, product liability, and downstream warranty costs.

Companies like Chrysler, Tesla, and others are making the Lotus balance sheet look almost respectable these days.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
This is apparently the way Lotus has recently found it's way to profitability. Their consulting and engineering business is more profitable than the unit building cars to sell under the Lotus brand, which involves high overhead, product liability, and downstream warranty costs.
Warranty costs... hmm, like a service action (recall) on cams?

Sold: 2005 Saffron Yellow Elise, Sport/Touring, SA Nitrons, VF Stg2, 2bular hdr/sport cat, 2bular 8" exhaust, Saikou CC, shifter mods, SSC shifter cable, LETSLA, FF engine damper, ACT/Toda, AEM AFR/oil temp gauges, PLX vac/boost and IAT sensors with dash-mounted DM100 display, RTV toelink, Moroso oil pan, AlumDiffuser, FF spoiler, 5-pt harness
2002 Silver M3, SMG, Ground Control suspension, AP Racing BBK, RAC RS110s --sold--
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post

Companies like Chrysler, Tesla, and others are making the Lotus balance sheet look almost respectable these days.
Lotus has tradtionally been an engineering company first. The Road cars were always a way to fund the racing program under Chapman.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM

Yes, I know. It's a smart strategy, especially now.

Given growing governmental demands, and overall economic pressures finally pushing traditional manufacturers to get smarter and more fuel efficient, Lotus, with its particular expertise in "lighter is better," is rather uniquely positioned to be very profitable simply by selling its expertise to others.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 08:27 AM

I really wonder how much Dodge had to do with the EV. It's obviously just a PR stunt and has no possibility of being built. With Lotus' Tesla experience, I would not be surprised if Dodge commissioned Lotus to build them a 1 off vehicle so it appears Dodge is working on electric cars for Congress and the press. Dodge was too cheap to even have Lotus change the body panels.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Chrysler did have Lotus build the concept car. It is not a PR stunt...Chrysler is serious. However in the economic and, in particular, the automotive crisis, who knows whether it will ever see production. The intent is very serious, though.

'05 AR Mods: Stebel Nautilus horn; tesprit's rearview mirror; Custom Interior Pictures; PPF full front clam wrap

Last edited by ChrisB; 11-17-2008 at 09:50 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 08:21 AM

I hope it doesn't unless they change the name back to Lotus.

2005 Lotus Elise
2007 Honda VFR800A
2004 Mitsubishi Sportback
1993 Ford Ranger
2000 Husqvarna (British Lawn Mower Racing)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
I hope it doesn't unless they change the name back to Lotus.
Why? The Tesla Roadster and Dodge EV are great for Lotus. It brings in revenue that keeps them going and, hopefully, will keep a stream of Lotus cars coming our way.

Remember, Lotus is an engineering company that happens to also build cars. They provide significant engineering work to many of the car companies in the world. Without that revenue and in-house expertise, Lotus would not be building cars.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 AM

I agree in a sense, I just don't think a Dodge should have the same look as the Europa. Think about it, would you be ok with if Lotus helped design a car for Daewoo and they used the Elise body? Daewoo is using the Vauxhall Lightning/Opel Gt/Saturn Sky body for their own roadster, that is one thing that turned me away from a Sky Redline.. Daewoo. Dodge is by far better then Daewoo but there is nothing Exotic about Dodge.

2005 Lotus Elise
2007 Honda VFR800A
1993 Ford Ranger
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
Think about it, would you be ok with if Lotus helped design a car for Daewoo and they used the Elise body?
Lotus already did that - I present, the Kia Elan.
Attached Images

torque (trk) n. - an excuse for the lack of momentum.
- let's bring back CanAm & Group B!
- have you hugged your Exige today?
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:14 PM
OSX Black hat

well kinda, they sold the m100 molds etc to kia, didn't really design it, kia made some small mods to it

Black Exige S / Elan M100. Don't run a smaller pulley without an upgraded fuel pump! http://www.goth.am ecu stuff.. New reflash box coming soon!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codymac View Post
Lotus already did that - I present, the Kia Elan.
I just threw up a little...

2005 Lotus Elise
2007 Honda VFR800A
1993 Ford Ranger
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:11 PM
BANNED

Hey guys! check out the newest one 2010 dodge challenger. I just hope it to be better than its previous ones.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves1986 View Post
Hey guys! check out the newest one 2010 dodge challenger. I just hope it to be better than its previous ones.
I'll look past this veiled attempt at spam...but something needs to appear on that page that says more than just the words "2010 dodge challenger"

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in