Drove a Tesla Today... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Drove a Tesla Today...

I was offered the opportunity to drive a Tesla today, so after pondering the situation for a few hundredths of a second, I accepted.

Looks: much better than in the photos. The interior seemed quite nice.

Place the key in the ignition, press the "D" button, and off you go.

The ride was eerily quiet. My phone rang (and I *heard* it!), so I answered. It was a person speaking to me (and I **heard** him!) Going 40 mph down the road, I could hear birds chirping. The car is that quiet.

When the, er, gas ? pedal was pressed, I was slung into the seat (in fact knocking my head against the head-stop, err, head-rest.) The car is catapulted into what once was the distant background sooner than the pedal could reach the floor.

There was no waiting for 4,000 rpm with the Tesla. It went, and it went NOW. My guess is that it would beat 99% of all cars to 30 or 40 mph from a dead stop, and most cars to 60mph.

The car felt like a particle accelerator. I could get used to instant torque like that!

The Tesla didn't feel heavier than a normal car. Not as light as a Lotus, but it certainly didn't feel like a tank, especially with that acceleration.

Build quality seemed excellent, too.

Nice job, Tesla!
Attached Images

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:11 PM
pax

traitor.

i mean uhh, good review!

2011 Lotus Evora

2007 Lotus Exige S - SOLD
2005 Lotus Elise - SOLD
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:12 PM

instant torque

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm still a traditionalist: I like to shift, I like the sound of the engine, the smell of the exhaust... but I think the electric is the way of the future. The acceleration (almost?) makes up for the lack of engine sound. It is peaceful... and I'll bet the audio feedback from the tires in a good corner would be very helpful. Didn't try that today.

The new owner of RLS is Austin, you can contact him at: Austin0Barrett <<<< @ >>>> gmail <<<< dot >>>> com
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM

The Elise has been my somewhat affordable dream car for quite some time. Then the Tesla had to come out and ruin it for me. Good thing I'll never be able to afford it otherwise I would be helping to save the planet... wait, that's not a good thing. If they could somehow lower the price to that of an Elise, they would sell a little more than the Elise but it's still the same size as the Elise, so many would be turned away or buy then sell because it wasn't for them like so many Elise owners do. I've been going back and forth as to whether I should sell my Elise, save up $5000 for a reservation on the Tesla S as it would cost only a little more after you consider electricity is much cheaper than gas, the big tax rebate, and the lack of maintenance (no oil, tranny fluids, etc...). It's not quite as fast at 0-60 5.5sec but 100% torque will make it feel faster. It will have a max range of 300 miles on a charge if you get the bigger battery pack so I wouldn't need to charge it more than once a week, but I see myself plugging it in before I go to bed each night.

The Nissan Leaf is basically an all electric Prius from Nissan that is a econo-box for people that don't like cars but car about the environment. The Chevy volt doesn't seem like much either.

If any of you have never seen Who Killed The Electric Car, I recommend watching it. Hopefully there isn't a repeat from the large car manufacturers like that again, otherwise I will buy a Tesla even it it means living in it to prove that big car manufacturers and oil sucks @#$.

On a side note I'd be thrilled if a company made an electric conversion for the Elise that actually was near what the Tesla could do.

Just think how wonderful it would be to never hear traffic again. Noise pollution would be a thing only found in concerts and airports! I hope I live long enough to see this in my lifetime.

2004 Deep Blue Volkswagen R32 - Purchased 11-15-2010
2005 Graphite Grey Elise - Sold 12-7-2010
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 PM

If I could only figure out how to get the picture off my wife's cell phone, I would post a shot of a Tesla I walked by last weekend. It clearly was a daily driver...it was filthy and it was parallel parked. That made me smile.

Tom
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:06 PM

I think I see more Teslas around here than I do Elises.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
On a side note I'd be thrilled if a company made an electric conversion for the Elise that actually was near what the Tesla could do.
I would not be surprised if Tesla offers an Elise electric upgrade at some point. They won't keep making Roadsters indefinitely, but they will need to make battery packs and drive trains for a while. I drove a Tesla recently too. It was a fabulous experience. It is so fast the world just blurs past as you accelerate. Take your foot off the throttle quickly and regenerative braking kicks in and slows the car rapidly. It is truly an amazing bit of kit. Let's hope other electric car makers start building affordable electric cars that at least attempt to get the handling right and retain some thrill of driving.

FYI, the Tesla does make noise. Sort of a TGV like sound when it accelerates, a low hum that turns into a hi pitched whine at speed.

2013 Porsche Boxster (in silver and red, home at last!)
2011 BMW 128i cabrio, ///M Sport
2005 Elise in Racing Green with the touring pack (sold 8/6/12)
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinAlexandria View Post
FYI, the Tesla does make noise. Sort of a TGV like sound when it accelerates, a low hum that turns into a hi pitched whine at speed.
Yes, I forgot to mention the whine of the electric motor. Very tame compared to an internal combustion engine, similar to a subway train maybe.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Just think how wonderful it would be to never hear traffic again. Noise pollution would be a thing only found in concerts and airports! I hope I live long enough to see this in my lifetime.
Actually a great amount of traffic noise is "tire slap." I can hear the highway a mile from my house at night and most of the noise is the noise of the tires, except for a diesel truck de-acceleration or a GSX-R taching out.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitom View Post
If I could only figure out how to get the picture off my wife's cell phone, I would post a shot of a Tesla I walked by last weekend. It clearly was a daily driver...it was filthy and it was parallel parked. That made me smile.
Was it in Boulder? I see at least one Tesla almost every time I'm up there. Saw a black one a few weeks ago that was all scratched up and dirty parked at the tire shop. Either a daily driver, or someone who just doesn't take care of their stuff.

If the price premium over an Elise were more like $20k instead of $50k, the Tesla would be pretty hard to resist.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Tom
Picked an 01 Honda Insight with 14,000 miles for a song in Portland last week... saw a red Tesla on the freeway around Portland we followed each other until our exists...exchanged the 's up... the car was filthy... Also, talked to a guy from Pasadena at an earth day fair here in L.A.... he had his car on display... again filthy... dog hair inside, dry grass... I think it has to do with the eccentricities of the people who can afford and are interested in these cars...

Tom... have you ever seen the guy who drives the two red Enzo's around... I have family who live in Summit county... saw him at the gas station off I 70 in Sliverthorne once... you know how cars look in the winter along the corridor right? His Enzo looked exactly the same... had that icy... dirty grim covering it... and the fresh windshield wiper marks cutting through it so he could see... Ha! Classic... pretty sure the guy lives in Aspen... I have also seen pics on the internet of his car parked in Aspen...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Apparently there's an 05 Elise AND a Tesla (179 miles on it) at the North Aurora Auto Mall for those in the Chicago area. I'll be near there today and I think I'm gonna stop and check it out. $110K. Ouch.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepig View Post
Was it in Boulder? I see at least one Tesla almost every time I'm up there. Saw a black one a few weeks ago that was all scratched up and dirty parked at the tire shop. Either a daily driver, or someone who just doesn't take care of their stuff.

If the price premium over an Elise were more like $20k instead of $50k, the Tesla would be pretty hard to resist.
I saw it in Cherry Creek North, but it was indeed a black one, so those scratches and the dirt really showed up.

Slibo,

I've seen the red Enzo up around Vail. Ocassionally, someone will send me a link to Exotic Spotter and there it will be, just cruising around Aspen (I think there are a lot of wealthy people in Aspen ).

Last week, I saw a Bugatti Veyron parallel parked on University Blvd and Evans near Denver University. It was like driving by a unicorn.

Tom
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Last week, I saw a Bugatti Veyron parallel parked on University Blvd and Evans near Denver University. It was like driving by a unicorn.
Parallel parking a Veyron is too cool for school. That's awesome. There's a guy in Denver with a black Enzo I've seen parked in front of the Cold Stone by the Denver West Whole Foods a few times. Nice to see these things treated like cars.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:28 AM

My brother in law pulled over a Veyron in MI for going 150 in a 35 and yeah, he took a few pictures, including one of the impound tow, but that's as close as I've gotten.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 08:06 AM

In case you missed it. I thought this Datsun was pretty cool. 10 second quarter mile on street legal electrics.

Electric '72 Datsun Smokes Nissan GT-R With 10-Second Quarter-Mile

The Tesla is a great proof of concept. If you ever put a card in your spokes as a kid (or a gear drive in your V8) then you may want some vroom sound to go with your quiet car. I think that would be the hardest thing to adjust to.

If we ever come to a situation where we need to save the... home districts of some key congressmen... I mean save the planet, by mandating that we move to technologies that come from the home districts of district/planet saving elected officials. (happens to military programs all the time)

And that situation means that internal combustion goes away.

How feasible is converting an Elise to an Electric Car?

Seems like these types of conversions would be a pretty good transitional niche business. If the cost of conversion is a significant savings over a new car then it's a win.

That is until the heavy donors in the key districts complain that conversions are hurting their ability to donate.

That's business. That's politics. That's both major parties. That will absolutely shape what we drive ten years from now.

2008 Elise SC / Storm Titanium
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
dvj

I got the 30 minute test drive and was most impressed with the zero to GO accelleration. After working up a quote with a few options it booked out at $149K + tax and lic. Ouch! Sure was a blast to drive with all that effortless acceleration and the fit and finsh of the interior and exterior was better than expected. The new model 2.5 is a little more refined, but in the end I passed on it and purchased my Elise for a 3rd the cost. If Tesla could sell these around $50K, I think they would have a huge impact on the electric car mix, at least in urban areas.

BTW, the new model 2.5 styling looks much better IMO than the 2011 Elise.

d

"I don't take any notice of the laws of physics; they're so inconvenient."

08 Elise SC, Storm Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in