An evening with Arizona's first Tesla + Pics - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

An evening with Arizona's first Tesla + Pics

At around 5pm this evening I was on my way to meet up with a fellow Lotus owner to inform him about an upcoming drive and in the valet area of a local outdoor mall was a Tesla Roadster and a marketing rep from California, in town to do some grass roots publicity for an upcoming dealership in Scottsdale. This was the first Tesla I have seen in person and I got to spend a little time playing around with the car and learn some facts straight from the factory, or so it would seem. First off, the car looks almost as good as the Elise, side-by-side. It really has lost much of its agressive styling but overall it's still pretty pleasing to stare at. The interior, while still very basic, is a bit more comfortable than the Elise, and easier to enter and exit.

Now, the driving bit. I've been in some fast cars in my day, even ones with a faster 0-60 time, but the feeling of all that instant torque is really awesome, even after heavy braking and lifting off, the car is just so damn quick. It just mashes you in the seat and rips your face off every time. The lack of engine noise is also very strange. The sales rep was a very cool guy but I am concerned about some of his information from the factory. My biggest problem was his claim that the this current Tesla model and the upcoming Tesla Sport could out-drive the Elise and Exige S. I felt a whole lot of body roll and understeer around the bends and I knew he was full of it. Furthermore, he was using it's 0-60 time (3.7 sec) as a big sales pitch, leaving out any real performance numbers. Well, i'm hardly a Lotus expert but i could tell right away that this car is fast in a straight line, it is really lacking in handling, maybe because it weighs 2800lbs and its in a chassis designed for the Elise/Exige, and its full of batteries. But according to the rep the perfect 60/40 weight distribution lets it hang with real, "motorsport" cars like the Lotus, I didn't buy it.

Either way, it was really fun to see it in person and get to spend some time behind the wheel. Here are some pics, enjoy!

'05 GG Elise, Touring Pack, HID, Stage II, Stealth Bulbs (ask Bane, they look great!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:06 PM

Cool pictures.

Should have told him that your car weighs 900lbs less, has the same weight distribution, is much cheaper, and most certainly handles better.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

don't worry, I did several times but he was very persistent in letting me know that the Tesla can outperform the Elise. I didn't want to be too much of a hard-on so I could keep playing around with the car lol

'05 GG Elise, Touring Pack, HID, Stage II, Stealth Bulbs (ask Bane, they look great!!)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
don't worry, I did several times but he was very persistent in letting me know that the Tesla can outperform the Elise. I didn't want to be too much of a hard-on so I could keep playing around with the car lol
Should have punched him in the teeth as you were leaving...

Just kidding.. sorta.

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 04:43 AM

i get the whole idea of the electrified future...but im just not happy lotus selling its "designs" to other companies.

I mean would you be happy if you saw on the street look-a-like robots of you with no soul...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:36 AM

nifty.

did you get any interior shots or a shot with the door open?

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com

Last edited by the1sen; 03-21-2009 at 05:48 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
nifty.

did you get any interior shots?
+1

and any front shots?

how amusing/interesting...

Wishing you Clear Skies & Tailwinds!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemaykan View Post
i get the whole idea of the electrified future...but im just not happy lotus selling its "designs" to other companies.

I mean would you be happy if you saw on the street look-a-like robots of you with no soul...
I understand what you mean. I kinda got the impression that it was a lifeless Elise clone, and it did make me a bit upset. And the fact that this sales rep was so adamant that this was a better car in almost every way, and I just didn't agree. The only thing its really good at is being green. If my math is correct, its the worst value ever if you compare it's fuel economy. For $60,000 more than what I paid for my Elise I calculated that at 12k miles per year, at an average of 30mpg, it would take 62 years of filling up at the pump to meet the base price of the Tesla, so whats really the point other than rubbing it in peoples face that you produce no emission? Oh, I have a front shot also. I totally spaced on the interior, but its nothing too remarkable, just think elise with an auto gearbox. there is a really cool touchscreen thingy where our ignition button is though.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM

You should have asked for him to go on a three hour mountain drive with you. That way you could have given him a ride back to town when his ran out of juice half way through.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickOpalak View Post
You should have asked for him to go on a three hour mountain drive with you. That way you could have given him a ride back to town when his ran out of juice half way through.
+1

Thanks for the front shot. I dont think it looks too bad... If it only had an elise logo... Guess we have the Evora for that but even thats a whole different beast.

Wishing you Clear Skies & Tailwinds!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Great pics. It's cool to see the two side by side.

Turn your flatscreen TV into a work of art.
Modern Art DVD | Plasma Aquarium DVD | Widescreen Fireplace DVD
07 Exige S - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, LSD, Touring pack
06 Range Rover Supercharged - Java Black
06 Range Rover Sport - Java Black
05 Elise - Ardent Red, Stage II Exhaust, Touring pack
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 PM

"NO W1F3"

That's a great license plate.

the1sen: why move forward with design when you can recreate a monstrosity from the past?
FIL: Have you ever heard of a threesome? I know its her sister, but they are Swedish. That $hit is totally accepted over there.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

lol thx, old dudes love it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in