Got a sneak peek inside the Chicago dealership today... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Got a sneak peek inside the Chicago dealership today...

Met with the owners today who are really cool people and are in charge of Tesla sales for the midwest. I can say that the dealership build out is definitely progressing as there has been more activity since last time I looked.
The word is that its going to be open in the next month or so and its going to be a more 'organic' look than the shiny west coast showrooms. (think brick with huge loft ceilings with beautiful old wooden beams... it should look pretty cool.)

I also got to take a quick look at a roadster up close and was impressed. From an engineering perspective the roadster actually has alot of really interesting stuff going on that in my opinion shoud probably be promoted more. For instance I was surprised to see alot of locking mil-spec connectors used throughout the vehicle which you dont normally see outside of race cars. Those kinds of things should be related to prospective buyers so they understand what level of sophistication they are buying... At any rate it wa just a quick look so Ill write up a more detailed assessment of the roadster when I can get more time with one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
The word is that its going to be open in the next month or so and its going to be a more 'organic' look than the shiny west coast showrooms. (think brick with huge loft ceilings with beautiful old wooden beams... it should look pretty cool.)
Let me know if you find the MPOE the demo people ripped out

Seattle will have the same look, I'll try and post some pix from next week's open house.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
Thank god! I am so tired of non-organic showrooms. This is why GM failed. I am so glad my tax dollars are finally going to support forward thinking company like this. I wouldn't buy a car if the architectural concept of the dealership wasn't apropos.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smicker View Post
Let me know if you find the MPOE the demo people ripped out

Seattle will have the same look, I'll try and post some pix from next week's open house.
buildings here that are more than 10 years old usually have like 3-4:

1. the super old 70's "zip-cord" wiring and screw terminals
2. then the 80's cat-3 with 4 terminals
3. The NIC box with connections for 6 lines
4. The fiber break out box (these are just going in over the past few years.)

Half the time, the newer service is in some totally different place depending on what changed so you also get wires criss-crossing the place. usually when you do a gut and rebuild its better to just start new with all new service to the building (maybe bring in a nice T1 for your VPN back to HQ and phones.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM
vfx

Considering the site will have many 90Amp chargers about, I'd say the entire electrical system at an Electric car dealership will be repalced.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfx View Post
Considering the site will have many 90Amp chargers about, I'd say the entire electrical system at an Electric car dealership will be repalced.
MPOE refers to phone/data/internet wiring but yes you're correct that they are probably going to need to have three phase 277/480v service installed to cover the chargers plus the service equipment... (those buildings typically had 3 phase 120 at 200-400 amps when they were built...)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 AM
vfx

I was talking with a Tech at the LA store the other day. (after my last post)

When they built the store they had one charger in the shop. (and a few other half-speed 220 plugs)

Later they put one in the show room, then three more in the storage garage.

I think any further stores will be peppered with chargers everywhere.

They also all have high-speed back to headquarters in the bay area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in