Lotus to create Electric Vehicle [merged] - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM
BANNED

I like that the Karma seems like a good looking practical car (except the grill)
Good range, 4 doors, and not tied to the cord since it does have a hybrid backup.
Will remain to be seen if they come out with a dealer network, and how the economy and low fuel prices effects the entire segment. (lets hope not too bad!)

But what I'm most curious about is what the Lotus would be priced at. The Karma is supposed to be $80K (again we'll see when/if it actually comes out since prices always seem to go in one direction and it usually isn't down) And the Tesla Roadster is at a base price of $109K if you want on the back of a long list, or offered for immediate sale for a pretty nice premium- I think those were $125K or so. I'm not sure what options are available and add to it, and if the quick charger is extra or not. (nor with the Karma, or if Lotus comes out with a product either) So it leaves me curious at what price point Lotus would be shooting for. It would be awesome if it wasn't over $80K- but who knows being Lotus they may be able to target the upper end of the price range. It will be neat to see where they go with it and what happens.

Arnie, is it time for another open house yet!?!?!?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Buz

EVora

An Evora with a version of the RX450 powertrain would be an easy combination to get on the market fairly quickly.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabyguy View Post
I just went to Zap's web site and the vehicle is gone? I wonder if Lotus took it back and is moving forward with it on their own? It uses the VVA architecture. See this:

Zap! and Lotus Team Up to Create the Zap-X: 350 Miles and 155 Mph on a 10 Minute Charge : TreeHugger

zap hasnt been viable for sometime. wired did a big expose on them several month back showing zap to be selling nothing other than crappy little carts imported from china. they basically exist to sell stock shares and worthless dealer agreements.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...m... View Post
...heck, how will tesla deliver the cars they've already sold?..that's the big risk with ponzi VC schemes...
...i disagree - most of us may see the tesla as an electric elise, but the general public, probably including most of their halo customers, perceives the tesla as entirely developed and manufactured in-house...
that is true.. Tesla has had the benefit of alot of exposure as green autos get the press. The majority of people put there really still do not know what the elise is.

That will change if lotus puts an electric roadster out even as a concept because it creates doubt: right now the tesla is the *only* electric roadster that you can (kind of) get. If the tesla buyer sees that they have another option and that option is only a year or two away then that may be enough to jump ship.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD View Post
... But 5 years, 4 CEOs, and 100 cars later, along with layoffs by blog posts, lost lawsuits, closed shop in Detroit where supposedly the model S was being developed, no plant to build the next car, trans issues, limited range without a viable backup solution (fuel), the continually running coolant pump issues that drain them as posted by the founders blog, disgruntled employees exposing their financial problems, rumors of them being extremely slow to pay suppliers for proprietary parts, laying off workers in Hethyl who make the cars while over 1000 people wait on them, skipping people in the wait line to sell cars direct for more money, begging for goverment money, a poor Top Gear review with crap range overheated motor and brake failure, and real competition on the horizon- the execution isn't looking so hot anymore.
this is like the most perfect answer i have ever seen to the question, "sum up what is wrong with tesla in one sentence..."
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM

An electric elise preceded the Tesla by about 10 years, I suspect the pre-Tesla principals took note even if the rest of the automotive public didn't. It was even unveiled in the States at a time that a Federal Elise was still a gleam in Arnie's eye.

As to the ZAP, the expose on the company in Wired mentioned made it clear that we were unlikely to ever see an electric APX. They may still be in litigation with Daimler over the ZAP-SmartCar fiasco so it's hard to know into what bin the "joint venture agreement" with Lotus has been placed by both parties at this point. There's no question, though that Lotus right up to MJK are actively driving hybrid vehicles with a very critical eye to in-house production. It may be surprising into which Lotus vehicles those drivetrains may end up as well as what they'll be capable of.

Eric H.
'77 Esprit S1 "project"/'94 RX-7 R2/'00 RC51/'16 Focus RS
?? '10 (or maybe '11, or maybe hybrid, maybe '12, maybe '13...maybe '20) Esprit
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Dodge / Lotus EV

Don't know if this is a repost, but check this out...

Dodge EV punks Challenger in a little unsanctioned drag racing | Up to Speed | Los Angeles Times
Attached Images

05 Elise (RIP)
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM
BANNED

Tesla CEO responds to comments on Lotus EV.

"The FT story did not come as a surprise to Musk. Lotus apparently let Tesla know of its plans in advance and Tesla is hoping to sell some powertrain components to Lotus for the new car."

Tesla CEO comments on Lotus EV report - AutoblogGreen

By that comment, it wouldn't give evidence to a non compete.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:12 PM

I can't imagine Lotus Engineering entering into a non-compete clause in such a crucial area of their business. Lotus Engineering cannot afford to get locked out of other business opportunities.

Lotus Engineering also designed and built the Dodge EV posted above. Chrysler will likely use a different power train in any production version, but I expect that Lotus Engineering will most likely be involved in that aspect of it, as well.

'05 AR Mods: Stebel Nautilus horn; tesprit's rearview mirror; Custom Interior Pictures; PPF full front clam wrap
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
Not really surprising but reports are circulating that Lotus is developing their own electric vehicle.
whatever it is, I think it should be called the Lotus ELECTRA!

2005 Starlight Black Elise, -hardtop/touring/black interior/sector111 carpet buttons!
2008 Infiniti G37-S
2012 Mazda3i Grand Touring Hatchback w-SkyActiv
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 AM

a lotus series elec. hybrid APX would be awesome! i would probably get one, my bike would fit in it

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 AM

any non-competes are probably deeply buried in the development/consulting contract to "use" "related" technology not "specificaly proprietary" to the customers project... kinda thing. i would guess there is plenty of room there for lotus to not have it be an issue at all.

i am sure the language in the contract gets firmer if the client chooses to pay more for the engineering.... i kinda doubt tesla forked over big money to get it kit and kaboddle. + we have no idea what other similar projects lotus is running, ie fisker etc... which tend to be very hush hush - aka the am vanquish project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
I can't imagine Lotus Engineering entering into a non-compete clause in such a crucial area of their business. Lotus Engineering cannot afford to get locked out of other business opportunities.

Lotus Engineering also designed and built the Dodge EV posted above. Chrysler will likely use a different power train in any production version, but I expect that Lotus Engineering will most likely be involved in that aspect of it, as well.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in