News on the Tesla Model S - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
News on the Tesla Model S

2011 Tesla Model S - Car News

The maker of the all-electric Roadster promises to put a five-passenger sedan on the road in 2011.

BY JARED GALL
February 2009

While accusations of corporate espionage are fired through swirling rumors of financial turmoil, the face Tesla Motors is presenting to the public is one of seamless progress. A lawsuit alleging that Henrik Fisker stole designs from Tesla and used them on his own Karma hybrid sedan was thrown out and the price of the company’s Roadster continues to climb—currently it sits at $109,000, an increase of over $10,000 from what was originally promised.

Tesla CEO and PayPal founder Elon Musk promises that the company will be profitable by the end of the year, pointing out that 200 Roadsters have been delivered and he has orders for 1000 more. To deliver on its promise of more electric cars for more people, Tesla announced today that it will show a drivable prototype of its upcoming Model S sedan on March 26. Tesla claims the Model S is on track to begin production in 2011 and should sticker around $60,000. Range is claimed to be above 250 miles per charge, and the company says the car will go from 0 to 60 mph in under six seconds.

Tesla isn’t neglecting its sports car, though. A Sport version is promised, with stickier Yokohama rubber, adjustable dampers, and improvements to the electric motor netting a claimed 0–60 time of 3.7 seconds—we’ve run as quickly as 4.1 to 60 and 13.2 at 103 mph in the quarter-mile with the Tesla. An available Executive Leather package will jazz up the interior and a Clear Carbon Fiber Exterior package will allow the roadster to show a little (carbon-fiber) skin, à la Bugatti Veyron Pur Sang. All three options will be available beginning in June.

Other Model S details are sparse, but check back for more as they become available.
Attached Images

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM

The sneak preview looks promising.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM
def

Looks good, from what we can see, anyways. Not a huge fan of the SLR-like wheels, though

V10 R8 · Noble M400 · GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 AM
insert clever title here

Funny you mention the SLR-like wheels. I saw a post on Jalopnik detailing how incredibly similar this car is to the Mercedes CLS. Question is, is it truly an original Tesla design, or is it a rebodied CLS?

Tesla Model S: Is The Tesla S A Prettied-Up Mercedes CLS?

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 AM

Well I like Tesla, but I didn't know their CEO was the founder of PayPal... oh god,

Was nice knowing you, Tesla
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:54 AM
def

Well the "fastback" styled sedans seem to be popular now days, I think it's hard to say its a rebodied CLS with such a limited picture of the car.

The front, from what we can see, looks nothing like a MB, more like a BMW in my opinion. The aston styled side engine grills... obviously there is nothing too unique going on, but overall it doesn't look bad. Looking forward to seeing more pictures

V10 R8 · Noble M400 · GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 PM
insert clever title here

I think the similarities are more geometric - wheelbase and overall dimensions, specifically. Probably just a coincidence.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Funny you mention the SLR-like wheels. I saw a post on Jalopnik detailing how incredibly similar this car is to the Mercedes CLS. Question is, is it truly an original Tesla design, or is it a rebodied CLS?

Tesla Model S: Is The Tesla S A Prettied-Up Mercedes CLS?
The Model S is an original design and looks amazing. I'm excited for the March 26 unveiling.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
I think what we see so far is much better than I expected. The front does seem BMWish with SLR wheels.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM

It definitely looks better than the original design

Super-secret photo of Tesla Whitestar leaks out of San Carlos - AutoblogGreen
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
HA!

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:21 PM

Garage
Tesla needs to stop hyping and start producing more...

07 Magnetic Blue Exige S
"Mostly though, it's just a triumph of British engineering." -Jeremy Clarkson
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 01:29 PM

...there's something very familiar about those wheels and bodywork, but i can't quite put my finger on it...

...where's tesla going to build them?..

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:06 PM

If they don't get their $450m from the Gov, they and this Vapor car will be history anyway. Shouldn't an electric car be called a 'coal powered' car unless they're charged off the grid? Lets get real on where these electrons come from.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Where are they going to build it? I don't think they have the $ to build the plant they have planned unless additional financing / govt loans are available.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the post before mine. With SOP as planned, they need to figure it out soon.....

'05 Storm Titanium, Sport, Touring, Star Shield
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 AM

alot more info in this article on engadget:

Tesla tidbits: new retail stores, Model S prototype, extended warranty - Engadget

most interesting it this:

Quote:
Regarding funding, I am excited to report that the Department of Energy informed Tesla last week that they expect to disburse funds from our $350M Model S loan application within four to five months. The Obama administration has thankfully made it a top priority to move quickly on the Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing loan program, as this will both generate high quality jobs in the near term and lay the groundwork for a better environment in the future.

which could be the news that tesla may be turning around... of course 5 months is a long time and alot can happen between now and then but if they can take advantage of the hippie sentiment of the obama administration it might go well for them..

Also note that tesla has signed leases for showrooms in chicago and london with the openings supposedly happening in a few months... This will be interesting as once we have more teslas showing up here in chicago they will inevitably be showing up in our lab at which point well have lots of in-depth pics of the internals
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Well the "fastback" styled sedans seem to be popular now days, I think it's hard to say its a rebodied CLS with such a limited picture of the car.

The front, from what we can see, looks nothing like a MB, more like a BMW in my opinion. The aston styled side engine grills... obviously there is nothing too unique going on, but overall it doesn't look bad. Looking forward to seeing more pictures
it could be built on a CLS chassis.. the dirty little secret of concept car design is that they are often designed on top of other entire cars, particularly when its a driveable concept. At this stage of the game its kind of a toss-up: its *very* difficult for even a big car company to get a car into production in two years time, much less for a small company like tesla with no real manufacturing experience. Add in the fact that they are attempting to build a totally new type of propulsion into a mass produced vehicle and the task is even more daunting.

The normal time frame for development of a new car platform is 5 years which means that either the core development work is done or they are planning to utilize an existing platform and build the model S on top of it. Either way they should really have at least the basic specs down to have any chance of making 2011 for production which make it suspect. There are also other questions which havent been answered in even the most basic form: what is the chassis going to be made from? steel, aluminum? is it going to be stamped, glued extrusions? will they use VVA? My personal bet is that they are going to *have* to use an existing chassis to have any hope of making the 2011 deadline... the question is which chassis? what we need is a basic wheelbase measurement which we should be able to get using the existing released photograph... does anyone know exactly what rims those are?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 AM

...i've got it now - that's the same basic wheelbase, door, and fender bodywork from the fisker karma, the only notable differences being the intake/vent design and trim...

...it makes sense, since both were designed by the same person around the same timeframe for more-or-less the same application...

...kind of an aston martin/jaguar thing happening between each car, really...

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...

Last edited by ...m...; 02-16-2009 at 04:17 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...m... View Post
...i've got it now...that's the same wheelbase, door, and fender bodywork from the fisker karma - the only notable differences are the intake/vent design and trim...
http://jalopnik.com/379850/tesla-sue...ive-girl-fight

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 05:49 PM
vfx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob13572468 View Post
... does anyone know exactly what rims those are?

The Tesla Motors Club has been ripping this image apart.

Thread picks up this teaser image here: WhiteStar styling ideas - Page 15 - Tesla Motors Club Forum

Rim info found here
Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks - Page 7 - Tesla Motors Club Forum

By the way, One guy (TEG) has been going crazy with his own photoshop mockups. The AM Rapide has always been the best guess of what the Model S would look like but check out his Jaguar C-XF / Model S amalgam:

This is not the actual Model S but a cartoon blending of two car images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in