Tesla announces electric Evora? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Tesla announces electric Evora?

Picked this up on edmunds.com and others..."Tesla Chairman Says His Company, Daimler to Launch Two Affordable EVs Soon; He Also Says Next-Generation Roadster Will Have Four Seats and Optional AWD" Green Car Advisor
''Musk described the next-gen sports car from Tesla as being a four-seater, like the Turbo Carrera, but with backseats that are 20 percent larger than those of the Porsche. The backseats will be capable of handling someone up to 5 feet 6 inches tall in comfort, Musk said, adding that the trunk space will be nearly twice that of the turbocharged Porsche.''
Sounds like an Evora EV variant to me and he's pitching it as a competitor to the Porsche turbo, with a 2012 launch.
Sounds very ambitious, and if he's pricing it to compete with the Porsche Turbo then it looks like a completely viable business proposition.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyd View Post
Picked this up on edmunds.com and others..."Tesla Chairman Says His Company, Daimler to Launch Two Affordable EVs Soon; He Also Says Next-Generation Roadster Will Have Four Seats and Optional AWD" Green Car Advisor
''Musk described the next-gen sports car from Tesla as being a four-seater, like the Turbo Carrera, but with backseats that are 20 percent larger than those of the Porsche. The backseats will be capable of handling someone up to 5 feet 6 inches tall in comfort, Musk said, adding that the trunk space will be nearly twice that of the turbocharged Porsche.''
Sounds like an Evora EV variant to me and he's pitching it as a competitor to the Porsche turbo, with a 2012 launch.
Sounds very ambitious, and if he's pricing it to compete with the Porsche Turbo then it looks like a completely viable business proposition.
I can see how the cargo space is twice as big in the evora but seat adults comfortably in the back? That doesnt sound Evora unless they modify the car to move the firewall back for more room or something.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

It does say 'Adults up to 5'6''...' - (which realistically means women only of course - but they do technically count as adults!), I still reckon that it sounds like an Evora, also the Evora has 20% more passenger space than the 911, so that makes me think Evora too. Maybe they can move the firewall back - run some batteries underneath too?
I think Tesla got pretty pissed off with the constant Elise comparisons and have insisted Lotus not mention the link on this one - but it's pretty obvious?

I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board. I must not bet on the Top Gear board.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 AM

Lotus have said themselves they would be dissappointed if there wasn't an alternative powered Evora before the end of it's life.
I don't get why Tesla don't leverage the Lotus link more.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:43 AM
insert clever title here

Considering the 2012 launch I'd have to agree...they're using an existing platform, not developing a new one (considering that their effort right now needs to be focused on the sedan). The Evora is a logical and likely candidate.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in