Tesla can't raise money, stalls in effort to build factory - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Tesla can't raise money, stalls in effort to build factory

San Jose, Tesla Suffer Huge Setback Over Stalled Plant | NBC Bay Area

Quote:
The San Jose Business Times reported Thursday afternoon that the car company could not get the $100 million in venture capital it needed to build the plant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Beginning of the end.

2005 Lotus Elise - ForcedFed 340, now at 15 psi and needing dyno for results.
2002 Ford Focus SVT - 4.6L V8 RWD conversion, twice the cylinders and half the sense.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Their "representative" at the Detroit Auto Show couldn't care about anything but typing away on his blackberry all day long. I walked over a few times and he didn't even look up. I looked over at their exhibit quite a few times and never saw him talking to anyone. Who cares when you don't need the business ??

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM

...if tesla focuses on creating actual value for revenue they may stand a reasonable chance of building a substantial legacy, but as long as they continue managing themselves like just another silicon valley VC ponzi scheme, they'll never amount to more than an ephemeral footnote...

2005 Federal Elise | Touring | Storm Titanium
...85,000 miles and aging beautifully...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:40 PM

No surprise...

2006 Chili Red / Touring / LSD / TC / Forged Wheels / Hard & Soft Top / Lifestyle Paint / Desnorkeled / Odyssey Battery / Sector 111 Extinguisher Bracket / Sector 111 LidBone / CF Splitter / CF Bits / Lotus Stage 2 / Pure X
C3 Corvette 383 TPI Stroker 6.3 liters of Torque / 2012 Evo X MR Pure Magic / 2006 Cayman S Remus Exhaust Desnorkeled / 2006 Cayenne S on 20's slotted and drilled rotors ceramic pads http://www.photobucket.com/mygarage
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:57 PM

weird... I had a friend call me regarding a consulting job there last night.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:22 PM

If someone wants to make some money, start working on a Tesla to Lotus/2zz conversion kit
so when Tesla is no more and noone is interested in maintaining/servicing them the owners can keep their cars from being worthless...

2011 M3 convertible

Previous car #2 - 2008 Elise SC Ardent Red - Touring, Sport, Starshield (found a new home)

Previous car #1 - 2005 Elise Saffron Yellow (totaled in flood- the original underwater elise)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM

there's not much maintenance with electric motors. Maybe some kind of cheap battery replacement solution make more sense.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Supporting Vendor

I think building a fresh new plant seems silly when so many old ones are soon to be sold or idled. I hope they can find a space to build their sedan.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamBatman View Post
there's not much maintenance with electric motors. Maybe some kind of cheap battery replacement solution make more sense.

I was kidding..kind of...I would love to see Tesla succeed... I just don't see it happening unfortunately...

2011 M3 convertible

Previous car #2 - 2008 Elise SC Ardent Red - Touring, Sport, Starshield (found a new home)

Previous car #1 - 2005 Elise Saffron Yellow (totaled in flood- the original underwater elise)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
I think building a fresh new plant seems silly when so many old ones are soon to be sold or idled. I hope they can find a space to build their sedan.
agreed... they should be partnering with one of the big three.. they could use any one of GM's truck plants and convert it to build the model S.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:56 PM

The Governator wants them to build a plant in Northern Cal

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan1 View Post
I was kidding..kind of...I would love to see Tesla succeed... I just don't see it happening unfortunately...

Ive always thought that the *idea* behind tesla was actually a really good one... too bad it has been poorly executed and mismanaged to the point of incompetance...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 10:11 PM

Really wanted to see them succeed. Hate to speak in the past tense regarding Tesla but arrogance was their downfall.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Seems more green too. Isn't that their gimmick after all?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
Their "representative" at the Detroit Auto Show couldn't care about anything but typing away on his blackberry all day long. I walked over a few times and he didn't even look up. I looked over at their exhibit quite a few times and never saw him talking to anyone. Who cares when you don't need the business ??
After what they did in Detroit I was amazed they showed their face at all there. I'm not surprised he didn't want to talk to anybody, I'm sure he didn't want to be there either.

You think when they fold they'll announce it by blog post like how they handled firing the entire Detroit office (that was supposed to be working on the Model S. Seems harder to make a car when don't have a plant, can't raise money, and fired everyone working on it )?

If they ever do start to make the model S I'll run a pool. (I mean Tesla actually making a car themselves, not just marketing a car built by someone else with some other parts slapped in from another company) On how many years behind schedule it is, how far behind their production targets they are (Roadster was supposed to be 800 cars in the first year, - have they hit 20% of that yet?), how far off they were off on their estimate to produce and how much the price increases, and finally how much they raise the price on the deposit holders that they have been holding the money of for years before they let them have a car. Oh heck, I'll through real range vs claimed range into the pool as well, and if Top Gear gives it a good review.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 09:41 PM

here is an article that makes the amazingly similar comparison between musk and preston tucker... interesting stuff...

Deathwatch: Why Tesla's Elon Musk Could Be the New Preston Tucker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in