post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Tesla crash test slow motion video

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/s...all/#more-3805

Join Club 111
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
tmr

I'm sure someone has searched this, but are there any similar videos or other analysis of the Elise? I know it's very similar, but the weight of the Tesla is about 500 lbs. heavier.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM
insert clever title here

Neat video. I've never seen anything similar for the Elise.4

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:39 PM

Man, these guys are just doing this right!

I can't wait to be able to convince my wife she needs one. She told me that once she decides to sell the prius she might buy one of these. I am hoping they are available used in a year or two.

Take my track day survey: here You should enjoy it. 10 questions.
Now take survey #2 here

Mods: TurboXS Intake, Ultra Disc Rotors, Adare Motorsports Racing Pads.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Location: Behind enemy lines in West Virginia (Boomer Sooner!)
There's an error in the video. One crash is labelled an "offset collision." It is not - it is an angled barrier / oblique collision. Offset tests use a flat frontal barrier that only impacts part of the front structure - they are designed to replicate a head-on collision where one of the cars has drifted across the centerline.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:51 AM
LMM

Telsa in WSJ

There was a story in the WSJ about the Telsa talking about how it is modeled after the Elise (no surprise here) but also that it is 1+ years behind schedule. Part of delay was due to a redesign to make it easier to get into. Another delay was because it failed side impact crash tests - probably because they made it easier to get into! Hoping to make a small amount of cars for 2008 and then making other models thereafter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSooner View Post
There's an error in the video. One crash is labelled an "offset collision." It is not - it is an angled barrier / oblique collision. Offset tests use a flat frontal barrier that only impacts part of the front structure - they are designed to replicate a head-on collision where one of the cars has drifted across the centerline.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM

anybody know what the crash test ratings on these things are???
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 03:13 PM

did you notice how the hood flew off on the front impact crash?! it looked like it flew up pretty high in the air like a frisbee- unlike the crumple of metal hoods.
also i was pretty impressed by the side impact it withstood.

Daily driven '05 Elise, Katana SC, CharlieX tuning, Seibon CF front clam with custom paint, Stage II exhaust, hardtop, Starshield, Pioneer ICE, dry CF door sills & panels, dry CF binnacle, color matched center console and surround, Sachs suspension, Moroso oil pan, EBC greenstuff brakes, Team Dynamic wheels w/ R888's
PhlypSide quote - Tell people you prefer your cars to be like your women: "lightweight, fast, low maintenance, and easy on the eyes."
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:57 PM

Just watching that really shows off how freaking amazing airbags are. That it could detect an impact and then fully deploy the bags (several liters of volume too) all before the occupants head even starts reacting to the loss of momentum (head moving forward).
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM

A combination of good science and good engineering, but really not too too difficult to do.
The accelerometer that first detects the impact responds to relatively small amplitude signals generated on impact that move through the car's frame at the elastic (sound) wave speed in aluminum (about 5000 m/s). Once that signal is detected (just a few microseconds after the impact), an electrical signal is generated that travels from the accelerometer to the air bag actuator(s) in the car's interior (sort of an explosive squib) at the speed of light (i.e., instantaneously). So the only significant delay that occurs is associated with setting off the charge and inflating the bag, and that will typically be only a few milliseconds. That leaves plenty of time for the air bag to "be there" before your head responds to the negative acceleration of the impact.

Joel
'67 S3 Elan dhc (owned since 1970)
'10 Evora (Carbon Grey/Charcoal)
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 12:00 PM

This is a great crash test. What they're trying to do is design a passenger compartment that does not give, while the rest of the car will.

In most tests, you just need to look between the wheels and see if you see any serious deformation. As you can see, in this video, the front of the car takes the impact and deforms, but there is very little intrusion or deformation in the passenger compartment.

This is a very safe car IF you don't get Tboned by an SUV. There is just no way to design any small, low car to take the side impact from an SUV well - you have a bumper of a 4000+ pound vehicle versus our A and B pillars - not a fair fight.

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmr View Post
I'm sure someone has searched this, but are there any similar videos or other analysis of the Elise? I know it's very similar, but the weight of the Tesla is about 500 lbs. heavier.
No. But they crashed 24 to get the federal Elise legal.

All I know is that you can drive an Elise head on into a wall at 30mph with no front end chassis damage.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 03:41 PM

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 11:59 AM

A wall of cotton?

Actually, these crash videos are enlightening. I think, based on the cars I saw being built at Lotus, that the Elise is probably safer than the Tesla. The sides of the Elise are higher, and help protect the passengers in a side impact. As to the front and rear, the crash structure is a little different than the Tesla, but should have similar results. Nice to know that we are really pretty safe buzzing around in our little spaceships. Of course the best is to try not to get rear-ended or run into anything. In a pinch, I have always felt that driving into the grass or onto a shoulder was always better than having the guy behind you hit you.

It would be interesting to locate the Elise crash test videos if there are any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
No. But they crashed 24 to get the federal Elise legal.

All I know is that you can drive an Elise head on into a wall at 30mph with no front end chassis damage.

2013 Porsche Boxster (in silver and red, home at last!)
2011 BMW 128i cabrio, ///M Sport
2005 Elise in Racing Green with the touring pack (sold 8/6/12)
2007 MINI Cooper S in Sparkling Silver (sold)
Founder of the Racing Green Confederate
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Last time I heard the Elise doesn't actually meet FMVSS. I heard they have quite a few exemptions.

FR Doc 04-2517

I know Tesla had a temporary exemption for airbags as well.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM

The Elise had 2 exemptions which ran out at the end of 2006. Headlights and 2.5mph bumpers.

If you take a look at the Sands Museum site, there's a ton of great information on what it took to get the car federalised including crash testing:

Lotus Elise, Information Before Introduction to the US
Quote:
They had to crash test 24 cars for U.S. approval. He said that made him sad.
Lotus Elise Publication, Performance Through Lightweight
Quote:
For the Federal Elise, the tub chassis has changed only in detail. Despite being extremely light, the Elise's structure, which includes a composite energy-absorbing front crash structure, is tough enough to meet all U.S. government crash standards. The body is made from closed-mold composite material that is thinner and lighter than the original's hand-laid glass fiber.
Quote:
"The most challenging parts of this program were undoubtedly the combination of meeting crash testing requirements for the Federal market for the unbelted occupant and meeting U.S. emissions standards, within the constraints of the program timing," said Adams. "We've achieved full compliance with the NHTSA safety standards for the unbelted occupant, which we are very proud of; in a car this size, that is quite an achievement."
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 01:49 PM

Good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in